•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zhumell 20x80. On sale.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
169 replies to this topic

#151 Tim A.

Tim A.

Apollo

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

Dang. I got my 20x80s, and with high excitement, I took them out for first light. Aimed at the the Ruddy King (Betelgeuse), and to my great disappointment, I saw two of him. Dang. And imagine if I'd been drinking!

On the other hand, if I closed one eye, the image was terrific, edge to edge (almost, anyway).

Now I'm waiting for the exchange binoculars. If I can get a nicely collimated pair, I know I'll be delighted. But I fear the worst (that is, you get what you pay for).

-- Tim

#152 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Dang. I got my 20x80s, and with high excitement, I took them out for first light. Aimed at the the Ruddy King (Betelgeuse), and to my great disappointment, I saw two of him. Dang. And imagine if I'd been drinking!

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear that. :( Just a suggestion though, the IPD (Interpupillary Distance) can cause double vision like that too. Not sure of your experience level so I want to mention that. On this second pair check to make sure the IPD is set exactly right.

good luck on your second pair,

#153 Gazer501

Gazer501

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

Yes, let us know Tim. I've had good luck with my pair so far. And as Richard suggested check the IPD as I know it is very sensitive on mine. Good luck to ya!

#154 Harry94025

Harry94025

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hi Guys,

CN newbie checking in. I too just purchased the Zhumell 20x80 Supergiants and are very pleased with these binoculars. I also have a couple of high end binoculars, Swarovski 8.5x42 EL and Zeiss 8x20 Victory Compact, so was curious about these Zhumells at $69.00.

These are very impressive binoculars, especially for the price point! I need a better mount than my old camera tripod, but even that was ok when I used my construction kneepads to get a look at things near the zenith. Was able to see Saturn's rings, although it had just come up over the horizon and I was looking through a lot of haze. M31 and the Orion nebula looked better since they were much higher in the sky.

Harry

#155 eno42

eno42

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

If Y'all check the website, the price just went up. Now $80 bucks. Cost of living I guess.
David
eno42

#156 Dave Hederich

Dave Hederich

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

Cost increase is probably due to all the great reviews they've been getting here. ;)

#157 MachMike

MachMike

Vostok 1

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:44 AM

I actually just found this thread...I found it funny,

I purchased both the $69 20x80 Super Giant and a pair of the $45.00 20x70 Zhumell.

I gave the 20x70 to my father so we could hang out and chat while we look at stars together. My father is a professional photographer who has viewed animals landscapes and earth his whole career. We laugh that he never looked up and I never looked down. So having the advantage with the sky (this is a brief condition now that he is interested) I was able to use some of his tripods and clamps. We sat outside in the freezing cold and viewed M42 and some clusters. Easily seen on the first light: M31, M42, M36,37 Saturn, moon and other usual suspects. My mother even got interested and I hung out with her for the first time in 7 years just talking about the orion nebula. It was really neat to see her excited about something I am interested in!

The quality is excellent for the price. I found the 20x80s are not nearly as sharp as the 20x70 and the views really do not differ significantly. I found the stars on both are sharp nearly to the edge of the FOV. The 20x80 stars flare a bit just at the edge. The 20x80 when handled with the hands fall out of focus easily. The key is to find a non interfering holding technique.

Binoculars are a gateway drug for a telescope I figure, my father being an optic guru his whole life was I believe he was instantly hooked. I never cared much for cameras (one was always pointed at me as a child) But telescopes are a different thing.

My father is already asking about telescopes and photography (Cool!). For the price of two tanks of gas I have never made a better purchase, easily the best $120 bucks I have spent in years.

My suggestion get the 20x70 Zhumell with a bohman clamp and a monopod. The 20x80 aren't $40 better. I just kick back in my reclining patio swivel chair ($30) hold the monopod ($15) and lean waaaaay back and swivel around. Very stable, great views and very enjoyable. I am using these for my brief viewing sessions now instead of pulling the scope out. They are also great for having company (or the wife) stay occupied while setting up the telescope for detailed viewing of the same objects

Mike

#158 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

I purchased both the $69 20x80 Super Giant and a pair of the $45.00 20x70 Zhumell.

The quality is excellent for the price.

I found the 20x80s are not nearly as sharp as the 20x70

My suggestion get the 20x70 Zhumell
The 20x80 aren't $40 better.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the positive review, it's always nice to hear that someone actually got a good bargain, as opposed to a binocular that is out of collimation. It is also good to hear that your parents are sharing your interest in binocular stargazing.

The Zhumell website does not show a 20x70mm, where did you find yours?

#159 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

When you see bargains like this, it's bound to cause some discussion on numerous sites. Sometimes the discussion lacks complete facts and gives a one-sided viewpoint, as in a recent exchange on another website.

Someone chimed in that these seem to be getting good reviews. Yes they have I responded, but not all reviews were all good and that I had reviewed this binocular (under a different brand name).

That Zhumell model 20x80 is similar in design to the Garrett Optical Gemini “LW” 20x80 at $189. But obviously for a difference in price of $110, there are some unseen differences between these two binoculars. Another brand that is similar in design is the Anttlers Optics 20x80 Sky Sweeper, but there it is $149. You will see if you look closely at these binoculars, you are looking at identical appearing binoculars. For those that might remember them, this Zhumell binocular is built on the old “back end” of the Burgess Optical 20x80. The prism housing/assembly is identical. However, each of these suppliers uses different components, some use different eyepieces and some use different levels of coatings. What we can't see is that they may use different quality levels of polish and QC. These differences help account for some of the difference in cost. Another very similar binocular to this design is the Celestron Skymaster 20x80 at $179. Some of these I mention here are NOT fully multicoated. For a long list of all the other potential differences between these binoculars refer to the articles I referenced earlier.

One of the most important passages out of that article is
...keep in mind the importance of image quality and contrast. Contrast is the one characteristic of the view that you can't tell by the numbers. Resolution is another. Contrast is almost always increased in higher quality instruments and is generally lower in bargain instruments. This shouldn't come as much of a surprise. It is the quality of the optical components and execution of design that results in good contrast. This is not nearly so important for looking at point sources, but is much more important for looking at diffuse targets.

The poster repiled:
[I'm buying them because of the comments of two people that have actually
looked through them, .....
If you have looked through them and found them repulsive then it is 1
against and 2 that say there a good buy for the buck. ]

Well I had not reviewed this particular Zhumell brand, I had reviewed the similar Anttler Optic 20x80. I included the Anttler 20x80 in a series of tests with several 70mm and 80mm binoculars, including the Garrett Gemini WP 20x80 masked down to a 20x70 for all the tests. My findings showed the Anttler 20x80 beat out the old Burgess 20x80 but could not quite keep up with the Oberwerk Ultra 15x70 or the GO Gemini masked to 20x70.

But, just to be fair, I did a bit of research on the Cloudy Nights posts regarding the Zhumell 20x80. Since September 2007 we’ve had several hundred posts on this product. Just a quick check shows almost equal opinion on these.

We’ve had 15 reports (16 now with Mike's post just above here) from people who bought them and report that they were keeping them. Several "reviews" lack any objective tests but these people report they are the greatest binocular they’ve ever used. And several other "reviews" are fairly balanced reviews pointing out both good and not so good qualities.

We’ve had 13 members report they were unusable out of the box and they sent them back. One member gave good advice and cautioned to check shipping costs as he got stung for those, apparently both ways. One member bought two pair from a place that has zero shipping cost, chose the better one and sent the other one back.

So on balance, in 5 months of reports in this forum, just over half the Zhumell specific reviews are positive and a sizable number of people have returned these as unacceptable. Some of those people had responded back later that, if they ordered a replacement and kept the second one, I counted them once as un-satisfied and then once as satisfied. Only a very few ordered a second pair, most did not. One of those that ordered a second pair also sent back the second pair, so was counted un-satisfied twice.

So the counts posted above actually reflect not number of people but number of binoculars delivered. CN posts reflect a record of 16 keepers and 13 returns. I guess you could say, it's the luck of the draw on this one.

edz

#160 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

For what it's worth?, Binoculars.com customers gave the Zhumell 20x80mm a 4 & 1/2 star rating out of 5 stars, from 166 reviewers/user comments.

Zhumell 20x80mm

If nothing else, this indicates that there ARE a number of people who 'really' want to get into binocular stargazing BUT are not able to/not willing to invest alot of hard earned cash.

I am thankful for the CN binoculars forum where folks can get together and express the "pros and cons" of any given product, then make their own decisions as to whether or not they want to take a chance.

Over the years people have taken chances on more expensive items such the Chevette, the Pinto, the Vega, and even the notorious Yugo.

Such is life on the planet Earth. :grin:

#161 Randy Cordell

Randy Cordell

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

Over the years people have taken chances on more expensive items such the Chevette, the Pinto, the Vega, and even the notorious Yugo.

Oh man, does this ever leave a wide open topic....How about the Corvair, The Thing, The Pacer, Studebaker, the Honda 50 step-through, three wheeled ATV.....even the VW Beetle can be on this list!

I had the Zhumell 20x80's in the shopping cart numerous times when they were $69.00 and free shipping but never quite pulled the trigger due to my suspicions, based on past general life experiences. But I'm glad they are working out for folks!

#162 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:38 PM

never quite pulled the trigger due to my suspicions, based on past general life experiences.

Randy,

Flashbacks can sometimes be a saving grace! :lol:

#163 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

Do you have a link to the 20x70's ?

#164 MachMike

MachMike

Vostok 1

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

I got them from...looking through paperwork..now.....

egad I have decieved you all!! ..they were 15x70s. Anyhow the views were way better.

www.Telescopes.com
Phone Number: 1-800-303-5873
Order Date February 1st 2008.
part # ZHUA008-1
Supplier Item: BC-1570B
Description: Zhumell 15x70 Basic Porro I
Price: $45.00 USD
SHipping $5.00 USD

Having said this I actually was going to buy a second pair for my twin brother who lives in CA. I now cannot find any trace of them on www.telescopes.com anymore. Possibly clearance? or discontinued?

I scored a $10.00 off code with the 20x80 supergiants.

I was REALLY playing with fire on that $45.00 dollar purchase. I am happy it worked out. I am not going to Vegas anytime soon as I must have used all my luck on these two units.

Mike

#165 Gazer501

Gazer501

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

I got them from...looking through paperwork..now.....

egad I have decieved you all!! ..they were 15x70s. Anyhow the views were way better.

www.Telescopes.com
Phone Number: 1-800-303-5873
Order Date February 1st 2008.
part # ZHUA008-1
Supplier Item: BC-1570B
Description: Zhumell 15x70 Basic Porro I
Price: $45.00 USD
SHipping $5.00 USD

Having said this I actually was going to buy a second pair for my twin brother who lives in CA. I now cannot find any trace of them on www.telescopes.com anymore. Possibly clearance? or discontinued?

I scored a $10.00 off code with the 20x80 supergiants.

I was REALLY playing with fire on that $45.00 dollar purchase. I am happy it worked out. I am not going to Vegas anytime soon as I must have used all my luck on these two units.

Mike

Found a link here http://www.binocular...albinocular.cfm and http://www.telescope...s/8197 8201.cfm,but not on sale anymore. :bawling:

#166 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

Found a link here but not on sale anymore. :bawling:

How about this link?

http://www.amazon.co...6961380-9934228

#167 pinkflyd34

pinkflyd34

Vendor -- The Urban Sky

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:15 PM

Post deleted by EdZ

#168 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

Sorry to hear this. It sounds like half of the 20x80s get sent back and shouldn't have been shipped to begin with!

#169 monchito

monchito

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

awesome binos

#170 Rob E

Rob E

Village......clown

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

I have a pair of these. There was only one pair of the 2 I bought that was usable. The other pair was such that you could see both Jupiters. The optics are nice but not always aligned very well..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics