•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Tasco Astronomical Telescope No. 9TE-5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2004 - 11:58 AM

Tasco Astronomical Telescope No. 9TE-5, coated lenses, D-60mm, F=700M, Reg No. 59235

I just found this telescope at a garage sale for $10. First telescope - thought it might be neat. Anyone know anything about this type?

#2 Chris G

Chris G

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:02 PM

I know a guy that has a Tasco like that among his many scopes and he says it's really not bad, gives decent views of moon an planets.

#3 erik

erik

telescope surgeon

Posted 25 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

i'm not familiar with tasco model #'s, but there are some stinkers out there. i guess if you want a beginners scope for the moon, jupiter, and saturn, it may be okay. i think the older ones tend to be better than the newer ones, which have a lot of plastic on them. in any case, i think you'll probably have to replace the eyepieces and diagonal as they're usually of poor quality. but for $10, if it gets you viewing... :)

#4 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:39 PM

Hi Shawn -

The Tasco 9TE-5's are very nice scopes that Tasco made in the 1960's. Back then Tasco made excellent scopes (unlike in later years). Ones such as yours are sought after for their great optics and construction. Assuming it is in operational condition, it is worth quite a bit more than you paid for it, and is much, much better than just about any 60mm telescope you can buy today. It will be great for lunar and planetary observing.

Do you have a photo of the scope you can post?

-Jake

#5 Jim Svetlikov

Jim Svetlikov

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:55 PM

Shawn

You're probably not going to believe this, but I bought the exact same Tasco at a Curio shop for $5 - registration no. 59234!

Posted Image

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2004 - 09:16 PM

That's definitely it. It's my first scope - what is the smaller scope for - aligning? I can get the moon in, but it's hard to keep it on the moon - real jittery. Focusing on a star/planet almost impossible. The only eyepiece I have with it says 6mm.

#7 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:27 AM

The smaller scope is a finder scope. Your diagonal (that holds the eyepiece) appears to be a .965 size. The .965 eye pieces are difficult to view with. You can go online and find a diagonal that is .965 to 1.25 (hybrid) and use 1.25 inch eyepieces, which are much better. You can find the .965 to 1.25 diagonal at
http://www.apogeeinc...ccessories.html

There are also some plossl eyepieces at this site for $19.95. For the moon, you want the 20 or 25mm. For planets, you want the 6.5 and 10mm. You also should get a barlow at some point, which will double the magnification of your EPs and save you money. The 6mm eyepiece on your scope is high magnification with poor eye relief, which makes it difficult to see the moon. Your eye is probably hitting the eyepiece while you try to view. This is caused by the poor eye relief of the eyepiece. You may want to look around for used 1.25 eyepieces. They are all over the internet.

Hope this helps.

#8 Jim Svetlikov

Jim Svetlikov

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 29 September 2004 - 07:28 PM

Hi Shawn

As Daryl mentioned, I swapped out the diagonal for a "Hybrid" which has a .965" hole in one end to fit the focuser and a 1.25" hole on the other side for my eyepieces.

The current diagonal that comes with the scope is a prism and the hybrid I bought is a mirror. You can easily take it apart to see the differences. This had the effect of having some of my eyepieces not being able to come to focus.

However, I recently bought a Televue 8-24mm click stop zoom that works great in this scope - all focal lengths in the zoom come to focus.

#9 Canadian

Canadian

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:16 AM

Well, I've just come across a customer who has one of these
and if the Reg. No. is a serial number,
59234 has certainly taken a beating over the years.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:55 AM

Hi There! I bought one from a fellow clubmember(Pontchartrain Astronomy Society) in 2006,and so I am quite familiar with the TASCO 9TE-5.You have obtained one of the optically best 60mm scopes made.I have used mine on VENUS,probably the most difficult of the planets to view because of the glare,and using a 6mm Huyghens(0.965)eyepiece,the image was excellent!.You got a good scope.
I also have the TASCO Model 9TE-0,and it produces excellent images as well.Good luck with it. Gary Barabino Sr

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics