•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Texas Star Party 2008 - June 1-8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
403 replies to this topic

#26 Unknownastron

Unknownastron

Viking 1

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:55 AM

Great to see this thread start up! Assuming we make it in the lottery for an RV spot we will be there. I am even planning my knee replacement surgery (for hopefully late this month) so I can be fully rehabed and get around better than the last 2 years! This will mean I won't likely have many new projects going, as won't be able to work in my workshop for a month or two. But Anna and I wouldn't miss it.
As for the weather, I have seen good and bad weather no matter when the dates, there is no statistical differences. We may hit the full moonsoon or have a great, dry week. Only once before has the TSP been held enitrely in June. That was 1983, which happened to be my first. I was there 5 nights and all 5 were observable. Four were perfect (M-4 was obvious named eye) and the fifth had high cirrus moving over with lots of sucker holes. There was no precipitation the entire time I was there. I look forward to seeing those of you again this year.

#27 cvedeler

cvedeler

Vanguard

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

I signed up for the "Family Cabin" as I want to bring my wife and two young kids. What are the odds of getting drawn for a Family Cabin? I didn't get one for 2007 which, along with other commitments put a nail in the coffin of making that 500 mile drive. This year I really want to go, but without hotel like accommodations it is unlikely I will be able to (at least with the family). I guess we could stay at Fr. Davis, but I hate to leave the field at night and coordinating that with young kids could be difficult. Any thoughts?

#28 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:37 PM

Chris, try renting an RV as an option??

If you do go I would like to meet up with you as I got many great ideas from your old observatory when I built mine.

Dean

#29 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:47 PM

I am wanting to make this my first. My work has a major inspection in May or June. I will have to see how things fall.

#30 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:09 AM

Hi, Steph et al. Dave from Toronto here. I do remember our excursion to the drugstore.... Nice! I will not be at the TSP this year. My astro-tourism dollars are going to Australia and Mongolia this year. 5 weeks in Aus fom mid-June until late July followed by 8 days in Mongolia for the Aug 1 eclipse. Poor me!
TSP 2009 should be good! d.c.

#31 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hi Dave! Sorry to hear you won't make TSP this year. Yeah, tough alternative you got going there... ;) Hope you have a great time!

#32 cvedeler

cvedeler

Vanguard

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

Chris, try renting an RV as an option??

If you do go I would like to meet up with you as I got many great ideas from your old observatory when I built mine.

Dean

Hi Dean,

I'd be happy to meet up with you if I go. I've seen your observatory online before (I just checked your webpage again). Looks great!!! It looks like you have a really nice piece of property there too.

Renting an RV may be an option, but in reality if it comes to that I may just make the trip by myself. My daughters are 6 and 2 and my wife doesn't share my passion for astronomy. She is quite happy to see Saturn or the moon when I have my scope out, but she has never shown any interest in going to even a local star party with me. I think I can understand as she is into quilting and me going to a quilting deal doesn't appeal to me.

I don't see them having enough fun at the ranch or McDonald Observatory during the day to justify an RV. If we could just show up and have a family cabin I might be able to convince them to come.

Thanks for the idea. We still have some time to work out the details.

#33 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

Hope it works out which ever way to make it. My wife goes nowhere without the shelties and the only way to make it work at TSP is to camp at the State Park. I think the park is fantastic, but I really like to set my scope near the trailer and have the convienences handy.

I have other friends that want to go to this and WSP but they don't understand that we seldom leave the grounds if the weather is clear. Last 2 years I only left the WSP girl scout camp 1x to eat out, my wife would have gone nuts.

I agree that it takes a person really interested in this to be able to do a week of all nighters and then talk scopes all day.

Look forward to meeting you,
Dean

#34 KayPaul

KayPaul

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:42 PM

Paul and I are making plans to attend, though I haven't signed up yet for the drawing.

Looking forward to seeing all of you again.
:jump:

#35 bbriggs

bbriggs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:03 AM

I have been looking at the Texas Star Party as a possibility for a few years now. I live in the Seattle area and habitually go to Table Mt. and the OSP. I also have gone to RTMC 3-4 times since I have a brother that lives in Los Angeles. The problem with the Texas Star Party is that I can't bring my 18" unless I spend a fortune shipping it or 3 solid days and nights driving each way. I suppose that I could show up without a telescope and hope that I could glom on to someone without imposing, I travel all over the northwest and have gotten together with clubs on some of my trips. My experience has been all the way from being totally ignored to being treated like a rock star. I also wanted to extend and invitation to anyone similar who has wanted to go to Table Mt. or the OSP. I usually bring everything but the kitchen sink and enjoy the company.

#36 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:53 PM

I drive about 1400 miles and it takes me 22 hours which I split up into 1 1/2- 2 days and the dark skies are worth it for me.

I looked at your drive it would be about 1900 miles that would work out to around 30 hours or so maybe?

But there are many big scopes and I don't doubt you will be able to find plenty of people willing to share some views.

Dean

#37 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

Of course, I will be at TSP. For some reason, I think I am supposed to be there. I may get in trouble with powers that be if I don't come. But, in any case, I will be there. It is always a great time.

There are always trade-offs with the dates... This year (2008), May has a really unusual split in the first 10 days with the new moon compared to some of the previous years. The first week in June, though, has a fairly nice fit with the new moon going into the first quarter. The drawback, of course, is that the days are a little bit shorter. On the other hand, the weather is usually a bit more stable than in May. But, naturally, it is hotter then, too. But it will be drier (and dry is good!).

I will say that the Prude Ranch is going an extra mile to accommodate the star party this year. This is because they usually start their counselor training and prepping the ranch for the summer camp sessions during this week. They have essentially moved their schedules and relocated the counselor training locations (away from the ranch) for this to happen. So you can imagine the final decision to set this date was not made or taken lightly.

#38 ChrisN

ChrisN

Vostok 1

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

anything DRY is better then last years cloud party. I am so ready to go I have already started putting everythign together for this years trip.

#39 Zapped

Zapped

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

Just thought I'd bump this thread with a reminder to submit your registration & accommodations drawing entry by this Sunday January 20.

I plan to tent-camp & doubt they'll fill up this soon, but it's always fun to get that confirmation in my Inbox in early February.

Despite the cloudy conditions last year, I'm really looking forward to the drive from Austin on I-10 (mmmmm 80mph posted), the clear mountain air, the cool nights, pizza at Murphy's in Fort Davis, interesting lectures, chanting "Must Be Present To Win" on Fri/Sat night, and the company of fellow astronerds.

#40 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Got the call this weekend that I'll be in bunkhouse. Yay!

When I told the missus we didn't get drawn for a family cabin, she said, "Have a nice week."

Think clear skies!

#41 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

When will they be e-mailing our status of accomodations? Sounds like you got the special treatment :)

#42 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:06 AM

When will they be e-mailing our status of accomodations? Sounds like you got the special treatment :)

I think because the number of people coming depended on our drawing in the housing, and they wanted to confirm that.

#43 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

I'd imagine the emails should be coming out shortly, I seem to recall they got sent out right around 1/30 or so last year. Isn't Jeff special for getting a phone call! :lol:

(FYI on why the last few posts were edited, I just noticed that the title had gotten changed so I changed it back... :))

#44 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

I'd imagine the emails should be coming out shortly, I seem to recall they got sent out right around 1/30 or so last year.

Woo-Hoo!!

I just got our confirmation. We're in Family Cabin "Penthouse", so I gotta get busy on the deposits and such. Don't wanna wait until the last minute! :-)

#45 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:29 PM

Yes, confirmations went out. I'll be in the bunkhouses.

#46 cvedeler

cvedeler

Vanguard

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

I got my confirmation. I'm in a tent... :bawling:

I still really want to go, but I doubt the family will come now. It is 650 miles for me. Sometimes it is hard to justify driving that far when I can go just a few hours and to get to skies almost as dark. The main reason for me to go is the "event" of all the vender's and other astronomer types and the opportunity to view through some awesome scopes!

#47 ChrisN

ChrisN

Vostok 1

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

Yea i got my confirmation I am in the bunk house this year

#48 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

Yes, confirmations went out. I'll be in the bunkhouses.

David,

I emailed the reply-to address on my confirmation email and mentioned this, but I'll mention it here so no one overlooks it... The PDF "packet" shown for download in the email is actually the 2007 version. :-) Then again, I'm sure the web guy(s) already know.

No biggie, but I just noticed when I opened it.
:cool:

#49 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:29 PM

The PDF "packet" shown for download in the email is actually the 2007 version. :-)

Never mind - It's been updated to the 2008 version. Fantabulous.
:smirk:

#50 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:37 AM

I got my confirmation email this morning. I am hoping to be there, but as I am currently jobless I'm not sure yet.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics