•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Texas Star Party 2008 - June 1-8

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
403 replies to this topic

#51 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

It's my first stay in the bunkhouse. Is there a place to get power to the laptop and plug in a power pack recharger? Should I still bring a tent to store gear in?

#52 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

The bunkhouses have basic power outlets; it's not a bad idea to bring a simple 6- or 8-outlet power strip to provide some extra outlets for yourself (that's what I've done the past 2 years, along with a long extension cord for the laptop so I could keep it plugged in when using the laptop out on the porch...especially helpful during last year's rainout :p). Good idea to bring a tent to setup back behind your scope to put eyepiece cases and such in overnight, that's what a lot of folks seem to do.

I got my email too, but I may not make it this year after all. I have an unexpected opportunity to go to Hawaii for a week next month and don't think I can take off a full week next month and then another full week in June. Hawaii opportunities are much more rare than TSP. ;)

#53 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:46 PM

just remember that you need to register and pay for your equipment tent if you are not staying on the ranch (since you are staying in the bunkhouse, it doesn't matter, but I just wanted to point that out for others). It isn't a lot, but it is worth it to have the tent there in any case.

#54 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

The PDF "packet" shown for download in the email is actually the 2007 version. :-)

Never mind - It's been updated to the 2008 version. Fantabulous.
:smirk:

Glad you emailed that to them. I just now saw your message. Dave must have updated it. Thanks for your sharp eyes.

David

#55 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

I'm sorry I'm going to miss out on TSP this year. With Dennis and Alvin bailing on me, it was 2600 miles of driving alone for me, with no one to share gasoline, lodging, or vehicle rental costs.

I'm pretty well locked into volunteering at Chaco Canyon, NM (Chaco Culture National Historic Park) for the month of June, anyway.

I'm definitely going to miss the chocolate malts at the Fort Davis Drugstore.

#56 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm sorry I'm going to miss out on TSP this year. With Dennis and Alvin bailing on me, it was 2600 miles of driving alone for me, with no one to share gasoline, lodging, or vehicle rental costs.

I'm sorry too. If I can make it this year, I will miss you guys and I was hoping to go birding with you. :(

Still, there's always next year. :grin:

#57 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:41 PM

If I can make it this year, I will miss you guys and I was hoping to go birding with you. :(

Still, there's always next year. :grin:

Hope you can make it. We're planning on it (obviously) unless something changes. A week in the Davis Mountains (astronomy or no) is good medicine for me. :)

It was a little bit of an eye-opener when I worked up the total for two adults and a child, seven nights in a family cabin, two nights on the road and fuel, vs. just me in the bunkhouse in all previous years! :lol: Still not unreasonable for a family vacation, just more than I had become accustomed to in my previous years.

I'll get over it.

#58 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:43 AM

Faith,

If you make it to Texas, see if you can get to New Mexico. I expect to be in Chaco Canyon (Chaco Culture National Historic Park) for the entire month of June. Perhaps we can do some birding there together.

Len,

I think it's wonderful that you're bringing your family to TSP. I hope the weather is great for you this year. Despite the slightly increased chance for cloudy weather in June v. May, the monsoon season is really mid-July through early August.

#59 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:39 AM

Darrell,

You will be missed.

David

#60 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:21 AM

Faith,

If you make it to Texas, see if you can get to New Mexico. I expect to be in Chaco Canyon (Chaco Culture National Historic Park) for the entire month of June. Perhaps we can do some birding there together.

That sounds like a very good plan. :grin:

I have a lot of irons in the fire, so to speak, job-wise, so I hope something comes up in time so I can get to the US.

#61 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:52 AM

Sorry Darrell that I can not make TSP...I have other priorities which is unfortunately higher at this point than TSP. I will not even be in the country but will be in the EU and UK for 6 weeks. I'll resume next year.

But I will make it to GSSP this year.

#62 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:27 AM

Sorry Darrell that I can not make TSP...I have other priorities which is unfortunately higher at this point than TSP. I will not even be in the country but will be in the EU and UK for 6 weeks. I'll resume next year.

But I will make it to GSSP this year.

Alvin, what part of the UK will you be in?

#63 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

I will not even be in the country but will be in the EU and UK for 6 weeks. I'll resume next year.

Alvin, what part of the UK will you be in?

We'll be mostly be in London area and visit the southern third of the UK. We plan to visit Bath, Stonehenge, Dover, etc.

Which part of the UK are you at. If you are close enough, we can visit you! :D

#64 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

I am on the Isle of Wight just off the south coast of England and easily visited using ferries from Southampton, Lymington and Portsmouth.

You'd be welcome to visit although, as I live with a relative, I can't offer accommodation. :(

By the way, there is an astronomy club with a decent observatory here, you'd be welcome if you wanted to come and look round. :cool:

#65 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

I think it's wonderful that you're bringing your family to TSP.

I suspect by, oh, Thursday morning or so we'll know if bringing the family was a good idea! :lol:

#66 imjeffp

imjeffp

Aluminum Falcon

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

I brought Ian (age 5) and Trudy last year. He was fine, she was bored. The rain didn't help at all, but we had plenty of movies for the laptop. The side trip to Carlsbad was a good idea.

#67 Steph

Steph

Texas Wildflower

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

It'll take you until Thursday to know, Len? :lol:

#68 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

Well, I want to be sure, you know... :)

Actually, I suspect there will be no troubles of that sort at all. We came out for about four days in June two years ago and didn't want to leave when we had to.

#69 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

Ok, it is a case of TSP, here I come.
Managed to score some seasonal employment today.

:hamsterdance:

#70 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:11 PM

Congratulations! Remember, you have to save up enough for a Nagler or two to take back with you ;), and maybe a side trip to New Mexico.

#71 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

Congratulations! Remember, you have to save up enough for a Nagler or two to take back with you ;), and maybe a side trip to New Mexico.

The side trip to New Mexico is looking good... :jump:

#72 Alvin Huey

Alvin Huey

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

:hamsterdance:

Awesome Faith! Glad you can make it to TSP this year. Hopefully I see you next year.

#73 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

Faih,

If you make it the 625 miles from Fort Davis to Chaco Canyon, I'll scratch out a few life birds for you ;)

Alvin,

I'm not committing to GSSP this year, as I may be tagging on some astro volunteer time with Angie in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument/Curecanti National Recreation Area after my month in Chaco Culture National Historic Park.

#74 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

That's great news - Hopefully that 'seasonal' will turn 'permanent' (assuming you like the work!)...

#75 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:34 AM

*Bump*
Well, I have just sent off my registration forms to the registrar and the Prude Ranch. Now it's just a small matter of accumulating the air fare.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics