•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cannon AE-1 vs Olympus OM-1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 ScottF55

ScottF55

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

I'm looking to get into film, I have a Cannon AE-1.
Would it be better to buy a Olympus OM-1 or start with
my Cannon? There are some OM-1 on E-Bay for not much.
I'm trying to keep cost down but the AE-1 seems heavy
and the battery's are another issue.

Thanks

#2 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

Welcome aboard Scott!

With the AE-1 you will burn through batteries for sure. The other issue is that you can't change the focusing screen (unless you have the AE-1 Program model). With the normal built-in focusing screen, you will have a difficult time achieving focus, unless you use an STL-Stiletto focuser, which costs about 3X as much as a used OM-1.

If you can get a good, cheap OM-1 or Nikon F, then I would do it.

CF

#3 Gandalf223

Gandalf223

Ranger 4

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:52 AM

The AE-1 uses battery power continuously to hold the shutter open during exposure. A brand new battery is good for only about 90 minutes worth of long exposures in the A-series cameras (something I know from personal experience.) I don't know about the Olympus.

You might consider a Canon FTb as another alternative: fully mechanical shutter so no battery worries, plus mirror lock up.

#4 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:15 AM

The Olympus OM-1, Nikon F1 and the Pentax K1000 do not need a battery to operate the shutter at all. The only thing the battery powers is the built-in light meter - which we do not use anyway.

CF

#5 ScottF55

ScottF55

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:02 AM

Thanks
I can probably get a OM-1 for under $40.00 used on E-Bay
I have been reading on your web page cf that will need
something for focusing ie: Stiletto. That needs to be set
for the camera.
Thanks again for the help looks like the OM-1 is it.

#6 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:27 AM

I would suggest a Nikon if you wish to do wide field photos. Nikkor lenses are excellent!

#7 meisterman

meisterman

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

The Canon EF "Black Beauty" and F1 series cameras also work well for film AP.

#8 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:19 PM

I have a Konica and the 2 OM1 cameras which I bought on Ebay. I prefer the OM1, as they are very light, and the mirror slap is so light that I don't need to use the hat trick with my setup, but I still do just to be sure. The Konica slap is stronger, and I use it with lenses for piggy back photography. I managed to catch a meteor during the Perseus shower. Just a tiny streak, but it's there.

You won't go wrong with any of the suggested choices. You can see where user preferrence comes in here. We are very particular about our old friends, and soon develop a brand loyalty. I liked the first OM1 so much, that I got a second one that is in like new condition.

There is just something about these film camera's and lenses that defines this group of astro photographers.

#9 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

Forgot about the STI Stiletto. Look it up here.
www.stellar-international.com/ I really enjoy this hobby, and decided after much trial and error with focusing thru the view finder, Hartmann mask, to get the Deluxe package for the OM1. It sure simplifies the task, and once you learn to use it, you won't go back.

Yes, it costs a few dollars. If you are sure about this hobby after spending some time at it, then consider the STI. It's nice to know, that the time and effort that you put into each exposure will at least be in focus. Nothing like spending an hour on one exposure to find it slightly out of focus using prime photography. You also only find this out much later when the roll is developed.

All you have to worry about then is, not going blind staring at the illuminated reticle during manual guiding - really needing to go to the bathroom half way thru the exposure because you drank too much coffee to stay awake - bumping the scope when you nod off anyway, and need to start all over again - getting a cramp in your neck - these are some of "short list" things that we put up with. But it sure is satisfying in the end.

#10 AXAF

AXAF

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

For used camera gear, you might want to check this place out:
http://www.keh.com
I bought a really nice Canon 200 mm f/2.8 lens to go with my Canon F-1. You can also buy camera bodies there, as well.

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics