•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with Mallincam Color Hyper Plus at WSO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
210 replies to this topic

#51 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Jack,

Interesting find at the Watec site... they make an astronomical camera also, who knew?

That's a StellaCam...or the StellaCam is a Watec! :grin:

Either way...it's the same camera.

#52 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

Dave,

The camera acts like an 8mm eyepiece. With an MFR-3 and 10mm extension ring, it acts like a 12.5mm eyepiece. To get higher power, you can use the built in digital zoom, however, the best way to increase power is to use a Barlow.

Jack Huerkamp

Hi Jack...

I took a peek at the moon tonight with the 14.5" and MallinCam with a 5X TeleVue Powermate!
That should have been giving me ~1,000X!!! :grin:

The seeing just wouldn't cooperate...but, during the brief seconds when things settled down, the images were sharp.

Mike

#53 Bob S.

Bob S.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

I can't take all of this talk about the MallinCam. I was going to sell my beloved 20" Starmaster and MCHC with WATEC-35 screen but nobody was smart enough to steal it away from me on the other site. Thanks to God. I went out tonight just to see how well I could do on some objects with the Moon blazing a little over 1/2 full. I selected M33, then M31, then NGC253 (Sculptor Galaxy) and finished the initial tour on M1 (Crab Nebula). With the exception of M1, most objects were not overly colorful. However, they were all beautiful on the WATEC "virtual eyepiece". Wow, I defy anybody with a 20" Newt to go out and see them in the detail I am getting with my neighbor's garage light inadvertently on and the Moon blazing. After talking with Rick Singmaster at Starmaster telescopes today, he wondered why I would sell such a fine instrument with such a fine camera. Well, the answer to that question is that it is no longer for sale! What was I thinking. Rick suggested that I consider not observing 2-4x/week as I have been known to do for a long time, weather permitting, and just enjoy the ride. I have to tell you that as much as I am trying to actively pursue another very time-consuming hobby (microscopy), it does not look like I can give up the incredible ease of this astrovideo telescope/system. Bob Schilling

#54 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

Bob...

Thankfully, you have regained your sanity (well...what little was there to begin with!). :)

Remember - I was pretty burned out too... and considering taking a hiatus from observing.
The MallinCam Hyper Color has completely rejuvenated my enthusiasm!!!

See you at CAV next month?

Mike

#55 Bob S.

Bob S.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

Mike, If it is not freezing cold, I will make CAV! I went back out after my last post and just had to look at the Little Dumbell in living color with the Moon still blazing<g>. Tooooooo much fun!!! Time for bed. It is afterall, a "school night"<g>. Thanks Rock Mallin for my gentle dreams of distant galaxies and nebula tonight.

#56 GardnerPacificCA

GardnerPacificCA

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

Thank you Doug for the answers on Wireless 232 and wireless video...since I have a Meade SCT I would likely have to go with the bluetooth for Starry Nights...
Does anyone here know how the Mellincam Color Hyper Plus and the new Stellacam III compare in performance?...The Stellacam III is monochrome...would the color of the MC be a step up in results?...I'm just learning about Video Astronomy so I appreciate all info...thanks in advance.

#57 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

Vanguard

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

That's a StellaCam...or the StellaCam is a Watec! :grin:

Either way...it's the same camera.

Mike, I did not know... or did, and, just didn't put two and two together. Thanks for the reply. :)

#58 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

Mike,

John VeDepo and I did the same thing last May at CAV with his 28". He was using a 5x Powermate, I think, and we were cruising the terminator using the slow speed drive settings on his Starmaster. We felt like Apollo astronauts coming in for a landing.

Jack Huerkamp

#59 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

For another wrinkle on where this is heading, the same technology can be used for more formal projects...

http://sonotaco.com/e_index.html

Note the use of the WAT 100n - this is the watek astro comera mentioned earlier in this thread I believe. I should think a Mallincam could be used similarly.

Steve

#60 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

I can't take all of this talk about the MallinCam. I was going to sell my beloved 20" Starmaster and MCHC with WATEC-35 screen but nobody was smart enough to steal it away from me on the other site. Thanks to God. I went out tonight just to see how well I could do on some objects with the Moon blazing a little over 1/2 full. I selected M33, then M31, then NGC253 (Sculptor Galaxy) and finished the initial tour on M1 (Crab Nebula). With the exception of M1, most objects were not overly colorful. However, they were all beautiful on the WATEC "virtual eyepiece". Wow, I defy anybody with a 20" Newt to go out and see them in the detail I am getting with my neighbor's garage light inadvertently on and the Moon blazing. After talking with Rick Singmaster at Starmaster telescopes today, he wondered why I would sell such a fine instrument with such a fine camera. Well, the answer to that question is that it is no longer for sale! What was I thinking. Rick suggested that I consider not observing 2-4x/week as I have been known to do for a long time, weather permitting, and just enjoy the ride. I have to tell you that as much as I am trying to actively pursue another very time-consuming hobby (microscopy), it does not look like I can give up the incredible ease of this astrovideo telescope/system. Bob Schilling

Welcome BACK to (in)sanity, Bob!

On my second night, I targeted some of the same objects, but also M33. This was the very fist time I've seen detailed, spiral arms visually... to see it taking up about 5" of screen on the 19" monitor was mind-bending... No color (of course with only 100mm aperture)... but WOWser!!!

Now, of course, it is SNOWING - sigh

but the quick setup and viewing is a huge win for leveraging sucker holes!

#61 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

Great report, Dave, and you have stimulated some discussion. After a year of posting a tidbut here and there, the readership of the astro video reports are increasing. My wife and I thoroughly enjoy using it...nearly 6-8 hours per month. It also is an outstanding tool for studying and sketching objects (our application)...and we do that as an outreach to teach observing skills. The MallinCAM has been an essential element of this effort. Glad you enjoyed your first uses. The attached file is one view we sketched recently. With just a dozen such objects available, I would buy the camera again tomorrow if I had to do it all over again.

Roland

Attached Thumbnails

• 1997799-13Aug07M8central.jpg

#62 dlferree

dlferree

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

All,

One question I haven't seen answered yet. Can the Mallicam be used with a non-tracking telescope, especially in the 2.1 second mode? I observe with a DSH-10.

#63 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:41 PM

I can't see why not... the longer times would of course be problematic... you could always build (or get) an EQ platform for your 10" scope for not too much money, and get the best of both... You won't be getting everything you could from the camera at 2.1 sec and shorter (I haven't tried it yet on my 10" w/o tracking to see), but I gotta believe that 2.1sec on 10" f4ish is got to be better than 2.1 sec on my 100mm f6ish (using FR)... probably not up to the 7 sec integrations, but better.

But, Jack or others can weigh in on that!

My EQ platform from Brian at RoundTablePlatforms arrives next week... and hopefully I'll get some clear (albeit cold now!) nights to check THAT out! :jump: :jump: :rockon:

clear skies

#64 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

Since the camera acts like an 8mm eyepiece, the effective power, even in a 10" scope, can be quite high. So I would not recommend trying to use the MallinCam in a non-driven scope. If it is a Dob, a simple EQ platform is all that is required.

Jack Huerkamp

#65 dlferree

dlferree

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Dave and Jack,

The Mallicam is something I am interested in, but will have to wait until I have more spare change. I was interested in a 16" lightbridge, but for half the cost and better views, I may purchase a Mallicam first. Of course I'll also need an eq. platform as mentioned.

#66 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:57 PM

All,

One question I haven't seen answered yet. Can the Mallicam be used with a non-tracking telescope, especially in the 2.1 second mode? I observe with a DSH-10.

NO, it can not...not in the 2.1 sec. mode (I tried)(12" Dob)
Now if it will do the 30 FPS or less then its going to work, but only on the Moon and Sun.

#67 Douglas

Douglas

Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

• Vendors

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:12 PM

I lost my tracking for a few days when Comet Holmes came on the scene and I got great images with the MallinCam, without tracking, with half second exposures. I also did a video of the moon which was cool because it rose through the frame as we see it rise in the sky since there was no tracking.

Here is a link to the comet image and moon video, both done without tracking while using the MallinCam in my 12.5" Obsession.

http://s223.photobuc...1028_003750.flv

http://i223.photobuc...t17PHolmes1.jpg

-Doug

#68 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2007 - 10:35 PM

Doug, I really love the Luna rising effect! Well done...

Amazing you can see the varying effects of seeing on the picture over the short course of your video!

clear skies

#69 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

I just joined your ranks guys! Can't wait to get first light! :jump: Last night I hooked it up and looked through a window just to get the feel of it, and it seems pretty simple to use. Should be over cast until my 35 Pan arrives! :bawling:

#70 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

Congrats and welcome to the future, Kent!

Which scope/mount are you going to use it on:

1) First
2) mostly

Just curious; as I'm still awaiting my EQ platform arrival...

And, of course now awaiting some blue squares on my CSC!

Are you going to do image capture, or primarily visual?

Again, welcome!

#71 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:23 PM

And, of course now awaiting some blue squares on my CSC!

Yes I know the felling look at mine! :bawling:

Think I'll try it on the 10" and see how the EQ-5 can handle it, see if it's tracking as good as I think it is. Plus it's a lot easier to lug out. :lol: But you never know I might bring out the 14" and set them up side by side for comparison.
Only for visual for now. P.C. not set up for that right now.

#72 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:51 PM

Cool! You should update your signature, proudly!

May we all get some blue squares soon!

#73 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

Cool! You should update your signature, proudly!

It's the same idea as the 14" LX 200 in my possession for now. A friend of mine gave it to me to figure it out and how to use it properly, but will be going back to him next summer.

#74 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

Update - went out for about 30 minutes a bit ago, and now am putting kids to bed, then back out.

I already have GREAT DSLR pictures of the monitor displaying:

M27, M57 and 17p/Holmes :jump: :jump: :) :cool: :jump:

Which I'll upload either later tonight, or tomorrow AM - kinda depends on how late I stay out... I really want to stay out long enough to checkout M42 at a minimum... my eastern horizon is blocked by my Roll Off roof (a purposeful choice since that is the Boston direction), so I have to wait later til I get things into my "viewing slice"

But, I'm telling you - I just can't believe how much I can see, and how much color - in only 100mm of aperture!

The only bad news; my new (to me) Van Slyke Slider takes up about 1/4" too much backfocus to be able to come to focus using the MCHP camera... I'm going to have to do some playing around during daylight to figure out how to reduce its profile so I can use it...

More shortly!

Clear skies (yeah!)

#75 Dennis

Dennis

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:31 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos of your monitor! Clear skies were a pleasant surprise tonight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics