•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with Mallincam Color Hyper Plus at WSO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
210 replies to this topic

#126 alanon

alanon

Nobody tells me anything

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:21 PM

Those are a couple of outstanding photos Brad. very Nice indeed.

#127 BradH

BradH

Apollo

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:39 PM

rshassell really nice. I hadnt thought about ISS before but I may try it.

Alanon, thanks. The images are what you would see from a TV screen, or close. The only thing I did was convert them back to 4x3. My capture card converts everything to 16x9 so I then try to convert them back to 4x3. The images look great on my 14" CRT using s-video. Last night was my first time using the MCHP with the AP 140. It will take a few time for me to get the setting down for this scope.

For the bottom line me is colored DSO's with a 5.5" scope.

Brad

#128 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

...Last night was my first time using the MCHP with the AP 140. It will take a few time for me to get the setting down for this scope.

For the bottom line me is colored DSO's with a 5.5" scope.

Brad

Isn't that the amazing part, Brad? I'm getting color in 100mm and you're getting it in 5.5" Blows my mind!

Nevermind drilling through LP like it isn't there, or even light clouds!

Tonight SHOULD rock, since I'll have better transparency than before and also no Luna for much of the night... Can't wait! I might even try it in 2 and 7 second mode on my Dob (my EQ platform isn't here yet, sigh!)...

clear skies and keep those pics a coming! Love that scope of yours, btw... will I *never* come up on the AP wait list :question:

clear skys

#129 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

:funny:

"... pass the box..."

:roflmao:

I love the picture THAT invokes...

"Hey, man, wanna take a look at my DSO?"

:roflmao:

clear skies

We were calling it "The Universe In A Box"!

#130 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

OK...I said I wasn't going to do this anymore...but, now that Jack has posted his M-1

#131 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

Arrrrgh....my cat stepped on the keyboard and sent the last message before I was ready!

OK...THIS image of M-1 carries all the same caveats...
hand-help shot of the screen with p/s camera (jiggle - camera shake - "iffy" auto-focus).
I just wanted you to see what kind of color intensity and detail comes out with additional aperture.

This is a 14" iteration with the 28".

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019289-Crab1 (Small).jpg

#132 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

No that would be just fine David, as you can tell by my csc I've been out of commission for quite a while. Took out the Mallin last night for the great amount of about 10 minutes. So I didn't get much of a chance to really try it out. So yes post it at your own leisure no rush. If I can get it to work half as good as you do I'll be very happy indeed! :thanx: :bow:

P.S. Hope your feeling better in the morning.

Hi Kent, just ran outback to the WSO...

the stickie has -1 Red and +1 Blue on the White balance adjustment...

everything else is as per the shipped instructions... i.e. "factory stock" ;)

can't wait til tonight. Hope some of my CSC rubs off on all the others here as well!

clear skies

#133 ZielkeNightsky

ZielkeNightsky

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:33 PM

This is it - i'm geting one. :jump: Once again CN makes me spending :bawling:

Maybe a stupid question - but how deep can you go on stars. I'm planning on using my 10" F/6.3 Newt.

#134 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

Jack was talking earlier in this threat about getting to Mag 20 with 14.5" of aperture I believe...

I'm thrilled with 100mm, and can't wait til I start playing with the 10" dob!

clear skies

#135 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:54 PM

I’ve been using video for deep-sky observing for some time. In 2000 I purchased an STV and found that when using it as an imaging camera it produced really great images. Last year I purchase a StellaCam II and was blown away but what it could show in just a few seconds. With my upgrade to the SteallaCam III with its longer exposure times, I have found that video “enhanced” deep-sky observing is: fun, really delivers the “wow” factor and is almost as easy as pure visual observing.

Video is not CCD data-gathering. It is really more of an enhanced visual experience compared to an image making experience. You do everything you would at the scope that you would do for a visual observing session except you put in the camera instead of an eyepiece and you observe on a monitor instead of through the eyepiece. You still need to find objects, focus correctly (easy with a video camera in real-time) and study or even sketch the objects.

The big difference is that you will see a lot more detail with a 6 - 14-inch scope in 10 - 45 seconds than you could ever see with a large Dobsonian from a dark sky - and in near real-time, and with a moon in the sky and even with very light cloud cover – yes cloud cover!

Just last night using my C11 and the SCIII I observed NGC 891 in great detail – mottled dark lane, brighter knots in the arms etc. I have never seen 891 visually with the C11 from my location.

M76 showed a very mottled core and the looping faint “butterfly arms” seen in deep CCD images were “easy to see” and seen completely looping back on the nebula.

The faint nebula NGC 1491 was obvious a displayed great detail including the bright “W” shaped highlight within the nebula.

M33 easily showed all of its HII regions and dark patches near the core along with NGC 604. 604 showed knotty structure that was easy to see.

These were all captured at F3.3 at around 900mm Fl. A longer FL will produce even more close-up detail – at the expense of a smaller field of view.

Now the interesting thing about this session is that I live 15 miles from center city Philadelphia, PA near one of the largest shopping malls on the east cost - AND there was faint but visible light cloud cover that actually got a little thicker as the evening wore on – yes cloud cover! A pure visual observer wouldn’t have much of a chance under these conditions.

SCIII or Malincam cameras are recommended tools that will enhance your deep-sky observing program and enjoyment under even the worst conditions.

Rod Mollise has come to the same conclusion – second article “Going Deep without 30 Inches
See http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

Bob

#136 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:14 PM

Thanks again David for checking that out for me. I'm going to write it down on mysettings page. Thanks again!! :bow:
Don't know when I'm going to be able to try the Mallincam out again. Calling for 8" of snow over the next few days. So this is just like the "Astronomy Curse" A new toy to play with and "The Cloud Gods" rule. Hasn't been fit since I received the Mallincam. :bawling: Regardless what my CSC says.

#137 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:12 PM

Well, just came in from about 3 hours out in WSO (and the yard) with Brian D. (bdjeep) who came over!!! Nice to have CN company and meet yet another member of our "family"!

We started with the Dob outside, and then as we got colder :lol: moved into the observatory and played with Mallincam... About 2 1/2 hours in total..

1) seeing was AWFUL - Mars was boiling even with the 13mm Ethos in my XT10i - so not even 100x and "bubble bubble". SQM readings were rather poorer than I would have thought - 19.5 - 19.61.. temps -4C, some wind (shudder)

2) Had excellent views of 17P/Holmes! With the 31T5 it was amazingly huge in a very large and nice field. Still rocking, getting huge... still naked eye (semi-averted)

3) M42 - ahhhhh yes, my old friend! Nice with no filters on 31T5, nicer still with Ethos, then nicer/different with UHC and with OIII on Ethos.. Couldn't bag the Veil, and, by time we got started, Ring and Dumbell were behind the western trees (rats - those are the most colorful!)

With Mallincam, we did catch a bunch of stuff... the M31 views were KILLER, major dust lane action, nice details; spent some good time on that!

M33 was really good, very noticeable spirals in all directions

I'll post pics of those two tomorrow AM (this laptop doesn't have SW to shrink em down to post em!)... But both came out far better than last time around.

We *almost sorta kinda not really bagged the bubble Nebula (bagged M52 first, and then hopped the VERY short, what 1/4? 1/2? degree over to find it (for some reason bubble is NOT in the Vixen Starbook library - whazzup wid dat?)... we same some sort of arching nebulousity, but it would NOT be accurate to say it represented the bubble as we've seen it in pictures...

But, having never seen the bubble before, I don't know how much aperture is typically required.

I do like this toy very much and can't wait til I get more aperture, and remote setups in place...

I think there's a nice 8" EQ mounted Vixen in my future (VC200L perhaps?) for use in total remoteable MCHP use... I'm just about bursting thinking about more aperture with this camera!

clear skies and more tomorrow

I've learned how to better focus, as well as better adjust the monitor settings to make things have more natural visibility, etc...

#138 Douglas

Douglas

Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

• Vendors

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:46 PM

Rock Mallin had posted a great shot of the Bubble Nebula with the color MCHP here:
http://mallincam.tri...res/n7635xw.jpg

I took a shot with mine but had dew problems at that point in the night. I was still able to see the bubble though. Here is was my shot, not the best but not bad for a tough target and bad dew on the CCD window (after that dew ridden session and I purchased an optical window from Jack to protect the CCD window and stabilize the air column directly in front of the window):
http://i223.photobuc...ubbleNebula.jpg

Doug

#139 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

AstroChannels is planning a live observing session on January 12th from near Death Valley.

www.astrochannels.com

Jason will be using either his 14" CGE or 28" Webster with MallinCam Color HYPER PLUS.

Jack Huerkamp

#140 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:32 AM

Actually I got to magnitude 20 with my 17.5" in 2.1 seconds with an old non-Pelier cooled B&W MallinCam while at New Mexico Skie in June of 2005.

Jack Huerkamp

#141 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:33 AM

OK, OK here I am breaking my own rule about not posting off-screen photos - again!

Got out this morning with the new Thomas 7" Professional editing monitor. Let me fairly warn you right now. DO NOT look at one of these monitors unless you are prepared to BUY ONE! Wow!

Here are a few off-screen images with the same caveats:
Hand-held digital P/S camera. Camera shake, hand vibration and only "fair' auto-focus. Camera shoots at speeds that allow you to see the scan lines and other artifacts on the screen that are not visible to the naked eye.

Here's one of the 'walls' of M-42, trailing down from the Trapezium. Thick, smoky looking gas and dust.

#142 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:41 AM

Brain is near total failure...it's 5:30AM and I've been up for nearly 24 hours. Lost my last post. Don't know where it went.

Some images off the new Thomas monitor screen.
Same caveats: Hand-held shots of the monitor screen with a P/S camera with hand-shake and "iffy" autofocus. Camera shoots at speeds that capture scan lines an other atifacts that can't be seen with the naked eye. Frustrating!

You may not be able to tell from the photos but I warn you:
DO NOT USE ONE OF THESE THOMAS MONITORS UNLESS YOU ARE FULLY
PREPARED TO BUY ONE!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020681-new monitor 1 (Small).jpg

#143 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

The first image was the back-side of M-42, showing a cloud pillar and much more dust and gas.
It makes me remember that M-42 is 90% a dark cloud...the bright portion is simply where the radation pressure of the Trapezium stars has "blown a hole" in the cloud and we can see the stars within!

#144 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:45 AM

Here's the "other end" with M-43.

#145 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:46 AM

I've GOT to go to bed!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020689-new Monitor 2 (Small).jpg

#146 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:53 AM

I've GOT to go to bed!

One low-power moon shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020698-new monitor 4 (Small).jpg

#147 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:55 AM

One moon shot at 1,000X (awful seeing!)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020702-new monitor 7 (Small).jpg

#148 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:59 AM

All images with 14.5" scope...3/4 moon high in the sky, light haze and a sodium vapor light (unshielded) less than 100 ft. away! God help us!

#149 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:03 AM

One last thing...all DSO images are 7 sec. iterations.
Moon is 1/500.

I'm laying down on the floor and going to sleep right here..........................................................................................................

#150 Bob S.

Bob S.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:52 AM

Groan! Mike, I feel my wallet getting lighter at each and every picture you are displaying of the new Thomas monitor. It appears that the star points are much less stretched than our larger monitors. Have you tried a globular cluster with the new monitor yet to check how it resolves the cluster of stars? Can't wait to see this monitor next weekend at Cheifland. You had best be there, lest we send out the hounds to round you and the monitor up. BTW, you better get a bigger box to pass around Bob Schilling :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics