•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with Mallincam Color Hyper Plus at WSO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
210 replies to this topic

#151 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:27 AM

Mike,

Below is a single 28 second frame image extracted from the DVD I recorded at CAV. We were usins your 28" f/3.66 at prime focus as you had not yet adjusted your scope to use a focal reducer.

Posted Image

There is some trailing seen in the stars and that could have been wind related. I can't remember.

Jack

#152 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

Mike, those are FABULULOUS - I just found out from Brian Reed that my RTP arrives on Wednesday (the day I come home from a short business trip!)...

Can't wait to apply some APERTURE to this MCHP!

Here's last nights results... mostly we just LOOKED (Brian D. - bdjeep came over).

This was all between 8PM and 10:30PM, only two pictures, but you can see how much MORE I was able to get out of each of them than the earlier ones... I presume because there was no haze and no Moon LP.

SQM was 19.5 - 19.6 (not fabulous) but transparency and clarity were nice. Seeing was HORRIBLE (Mars was boiling with my Ethos in my XT10i - at about 96X!)... Nice widefield viewing in the Dob though.

First here is M31 - again through ED100Sf, 56 seconds... Usual caveats... on the screen it was AMAZING, multiple dark lanes, mini clusters of stars, etc... none of the artifact banding was seen (artifacts from taking a hand held DSLR of a TV screen etc.)...

clear skies

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020980-m31 11 30 sml.jpg

#153 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

And here is M33 - this one really stands out as so much better than the other night (posted earlier in this thread)...

M33 ain't bright, folks, and to see this much, with only 100mm aperture, just boggles my mind... Brian and I just stared at the spiral arms and stuff for many many minutes! I had goosebumps (and not cause it was -2C and windy! LOL)...

enjoy

Clear skies

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020981-m33 11 30 sml.jpg

#154 BradH

BradH

Apollo

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

Very nice Dave

Were you using the MC focalreducer?

Also were images taken by handheld camera. If so you have a very steady hand.

Great job

Brad

Brad

#155 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

Thanks!!! yes it is with the MFR3 and with 10 and 5mm spacers... so I figure I've moved from f9 to f6 (???)

Hand held Nikon DSLR D100 at 1/30 of a second, Shutter priority, autofocus... I used to do a LOT of nature photography on Kodachrome 25, so got used to "bracing" etc :roflmao:

Still, pictures OF a monitor just don't come anywheres close to what you see live!!! And, I do still have to get rid of the dust bunnies... didn't want to "open things up" last night since I just park the rig now with my Ethos parfocalized with the MCHP and have the focuser locked on the MoonLite...

just turn things on and GO!

I SO CAN'T WAIT to use this in my XT10i on the RoundTablePlatform!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

>6X the amount of light, and more than 2x as fast ought to REALLY amplify things, eh?

clear skies!

#156 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

So, Mike... where does one get information about and/or puchase such a Thomas 7" monitor... I can't find anything on google other than your posts here :lol:

thanks

clear skies

#157 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

So, Mike... where does one get information about and/or puchase such a Thomas 7" monitor... I can't find anything on google other than your posts here :lol:
thanks clear skies

Re-read my posts and you'll see how fatigued and brain-dead I was when I wrote them.
It's a MARSHALL monitor (I have no idea where "Thomas" came from!) :o

You can check them out at www.b-hphoto.com.

Mike

#158 QUICKSILVER

QUICKSILVER

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Mike,

I can't find it. Would you be so kind as to post the link?

Thanks,

Bill Maier

#159 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

Try this....

http://www.bhphotovi...MegaPixelT.html

#160 QUICKSILVER

QUICKSILVER

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:49 AM

Mike,

Thanks, I didn't know it was that expensive.

Bill Maier

#161 bdjeep

bdjeep

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

Well, just came in from about 3 hours out in WSO (and the yard) with Brian D. (bdjeep) who came over!!! Nice to have CN company and meet yet another member of our "family"!

Thanks for the invite. I certainly enjoyed seeing all of your wonderful toys. I have a feeling you will cost me some money in the future. :)

The view of M33 was simply amazing. I had never seen so much detail "in person" so to speak. We could see some distinct dark lanes on M31. Much better in person than the adhoc screen shots show (even with Dave's steady hand).

#162 semiosteve

semiosteve

Viking 1

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the alert on this, Jack. It does not show up at the link to their site schedule yet, but I am marking in on my calendar. We have 6 months of clouds and snow here so I will be counting the days to get my Mallincam fix by proxy.

Steve

#163 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

You are most welcome, Brian - it was nice to meet you...

bummer 'bout the wind, eh? Kinda made standing around (outside WSO) and thinking about visual a bit nippy, eh?

I'm sitting here in San Diego just waiting to get back to home/WSO so I can use it some more! Am also wondering how the snow/ice we got in MA while I'm here in Sunny San Diego :roflmao:

will affect the observatory! First snow test, and all that!

My next steps will be to try out the MCHP with the XT10i on the RoundTablePlatform (arrives Wednesday), and also to clean those dust bunnies :lol:

Mike: I checked out that Marshall Monitor - yikes, thassa a ton of money! I am probably going to think about things for a while - I know my 19" Proton is too big, but it ain't too shabby for now - and the price is right. My next test on monitors before I purchase anything new, will be to see how my portable DVD player works - it does unfortunately have limited brightness, contrast adjustments, so I'm not expecting the world of it... we'll see...

I'll send out another invite to those Massachusetts CNers currently on "my list" (and any that want to add themselves, drop me a PM)...

If its clear this weekend, I'll bring it (and the portable DVD player) up to ATMoB clubhouse as well... :grin:

clear skies all!

#164 Douglas

Douglas

Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

Hey Dave:

Have you received your tracking platform for your Dob yet? I was out at a friends place for a Mars party last night and I brought the MallinCam to his observatory. Here is my first image of M42 with the Color MallinCam Hyper Plus:

Posted Image

- Doug

#165 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

Yep - received the RoundTablePlatform from Brian 4 days ago. Unfortunately, only one of those nights was clear, and I was quite sick with a bad cough/cold... so haven't used it yet.

Am better now, but my CSC is a tad "dicey"... I am quite anxious to get out and see how the MCHP works in my XT10i; whether (or not) I have sufficient backfocus, etc...

Plus I want to "play" with the EQ platform as well, before I have to do some outreach to 8-11 year olds from my boy's school! (wouldn't do to look too Noob in front of impressionable youngsters!)

Will update as soon as I have answer(s)...

clear skies

#166 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Dave, you will have a blast with the kids. I broke it out for my son's 8th birthday party, it was a sleep over and we used the MallinCam with 6 of his friends.

Try this, I had them count down from 7 or 14 seconds each time I changed targets or exposure settings and it was fun, killed the dead time waiting for the image too. I would say "on my mark" flip the 7 or 14 second switch and they would count down out loud, 7,6,5...2,1 and then the image would appear on the screen. The kids had fun and there was no dead time where you can loose kids's attention.

- Doug

#167 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:00 PM

What a wonderful idea Doug!!

#168 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

I love this idea, Doug! I'll use it!! My first outreach with the kids is scheduled for 12/20 with cloud date of 12/21 - pray for us please!

And, since it is all 2nd and 3rd graders, and some parents, that trick should "buy the time" I need! - especially since at least on my 100mm all the interesting targets take 28 or 56 seconds! that's an eternity to a bunch of 7-8 year olds!

:lol:

First I need a clear night BEFORE that though, to get the RTP dialed in and me familiar with it!

clear skies

#169 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:40 AM

I love this idea, Doug! I'll use it!! My first outreach with the kids is scheduled for 12/20 with cloud date of 12/21 - pray for us please!

And, since it is all 2nd and 3rd graders, and some parents, that trick should "buy the time" I need! - especially since at least on my 100mm all the interesting targets take 28 or 56 seconds! that's an eternity to a bunch of 7-8 year olds!

:lol:

First I need a clear night BEFORE that though, to get the RTP dialed in and me familiar with it!

clear skies

It looks like you might have a window tonight to play with the dob!

New toys!!!

Neil

#170 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:48 AM

As the Who sang: "we won't get fooled again!"

last time CSC showed just like this 2 days ago, it LIED!

But, I'm hopeful!

#171 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:59 AM

But, I'm hopeful!

:band: :john: :gve: :coldday:

#172 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

I have gotten clear sky alarm emails telling me conditions were going to be good when it was pouring rain outside. I haven't had much luck with the CSC this year.

I've been looking for alternatives and have just been checking weather.com

Its raining here this morning but it looks like it should start clearing later and should be good to go by 6pm tonight! It's my birthday today so I am going to treat myself to a MallinCam session tonight!

- Doug

#173 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

I have gotten clear sky alarm emails telling me conditions were going to be good when it was pouring rain outside. I haven't had much luck with the CSC this year.

I've been looking for alternatives and have just been checking weather.com

Its raining here this morning but it looks like it should start clearing later and should be good to go by 6pm tonight! It's my birthday today so I am going to treat myself to a MallinCam session tonight!

- Doug

Happy birthday buddy. Heck of a way to spend it!!! I would do the same if I were you.

Have fun, and share your session report with us.

Neil

#174 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Neil! I will.

I had a great seesion last weekend at a Mars party with the MallinCam. I took a great image of M42 and made it my avatar. The depth you could see in the cloud structure was amazing.

This is toooo much fun!!

- Doug

#175 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• topic starter

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

But, I'm hopeful!

:band: :john: :gve: :coldday:

Good news - here at 15:20, my CSC appears to NOT be lying! I think I just might get out there tonight for my second first light...

this time with 10" dob on EQ platform... !!! :band: :jump:

2 more hours til darkness, and the blues are a holding!

:jump:

report tomorrow (hopefully!)

clear skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics