•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with Mallincam Color Hyper Plus at WSO

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
210 replies to this topic

#201 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

Here's a shot of M42 from my light polluted driveway in the middle of a large city ( street light only 75' from my scope). I used my MallinCam Hyper Plus,15mm of spacers, and a MFR-3 Focal Reducer. Telescope was a 30'F/4.5 and the time was 2 seconds,any more and the trap was completly overexposed.

Where's the shot? I don't see it on my computer.

Sorry I had to go back and edit and add the image, should be there now.

Greg

#202 Douglas

Douglas

Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

Nice image Greg. You were able to preserve much of the Trapezium which is hard to do. Great job!

If you use the MallinCam from a light polluted area, you nmight consider a Na Hg filter.

So far it is the only filter I have seen work well with the MallinCam and it works better from light polluted areas.

30" scope and a Marshall Monitor! Not fair! :drool5:

- Doug

#203 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

If you use the MallinCam from a light polluted area, you nmight consider a Na Hg filter.
So far it is the only filter I have seen work well with the MallinCam and it works better from light polluted areas.

Thanks Doug,
I'm not familiar with a Na Hg filter. Where can I find info on it?

Greg

#204 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

A fellow Westchester Astronomer, John Paladini, wrote the specs for Omega Optical and they are only selling it on Ebay. It selectively rejects the Sodium (Na) 589.6nm prominance, as well as the Mercury 577 and 436 nm peaks, yet transmits 90% of the OIII and H beta as well as H alpha, and the continuium of visible light between these atomic emissions.

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/...96&ssPageName=M

- Doug

#205 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

While it's not my best, I took this image of NGC 2403 last night and thought I would share it:

Posted Image

- Doug

#206 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

Doug,
Do you have any images taken with and without the filter, on the same night, with the same settings?
I'd really like to see how much of an improvement there is. In his images of M-16 on E-bay there is a HUGE improvement. What are your thoughts on the M-16 comparison, Is it realistic compaired to your experience with the filter?
Thanks
Greg

#207 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

I ordered the filter and will do a comparison test as soon as it arrives. I asked John the same question after I saw the M16 comparison. John sent me an image he took of the Little Dumbell using the filter with the MallinCam and it darkened the sky just right but I don't have an image from the same night without the filter to compare.

- Doug

#208 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

OK Doug,
I look forward to your comparison test, maybe a before and after shot. :) If you have positive results then I will pick one up also.
Thanks
Greg

#209 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:25 PM

It shipped today. I'll do a before and after shot when it arrives ;)

- Doug

#210 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

Great,
Doug in your image of NGC 2403 it looks like you where able to capture the spiral structure but at the expense of a dark background. Is the lighter background in your image caused by light pollution? Hence the filter. Your image looks a lot like the images of faint objects that I'm able to capture. If I play with the brightness and contrast to get a darker background then I start to loose detail in the object I'm trying to capture. I'm working on flocking and light shielding to try and help with the problem...even making a light shield for the street light :cool: that's about 25' from the ground and about 75' from my scope ... hope I don't get sued by the city :ooo: , it will only be hung up when I'm observing.

Greg

#211 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:20 PM

Excellent! You should put the IDA (International Dark Sky Association) Logo on the shield!

You are completely correct about playing with the brightness and contrast, it will darken the backround but I will loose the spiral structure.

My SQM read 20.6 and my skies are fairly dark, but at the longer exposure settings which I need for the faint stuff, I get that type of lighter backround. I can darken it by playing with the histogram on most images, but here I would have lost the spiral structure since it is so faint.

I think a light shield opposite the focuser would help but what I needed last night was a shield for the WATEC which was mounted on the UTA, the camera picked it up and washed out some images that could have had more contrast.

I think I can benefit from the filter but the more light pollution, the better that filter will work.

- Doug

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics