•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomy Sketch of the Day

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

Astronomy Sketch of the Day

The idea behind ASOD is to provide an appropriate stage for a single astronomical sketch for the entire day, much as other similar calendrical websites treat the best CCD and DSLR images supplied by amateurs. Obviously these other sites have specific areas of interest. One of the very cool things about Astronomical Sketching is that it includes just about every type of celestial object you can think of, and that makes it very attractive to all. This is another chance for sketching to reach out and instruct, not only with techniques but with serious discussion of the objects through the works and words of the artists themselves.

ASOD
  • Brianfromsyr, ApoHarry and Charlespl like this

#2 THEPLOUGH

THEPLOUGH

ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

• Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

When I first visited this site I was not sure what it was
about, but the more I keep coming back to it the more I
appreciate the sheer beauty, and the skill of the artists. This is one site (I WILL ADD TO MY MUST VIEW LIST.)
Simply amazing..-----
:applause: :applause: :applause:

#3 orion9

orion9

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

I've just started sketching and now I really have an appreciation of the skill and patience if takes to create these works of art. Thanks for the great thread.

#4 chexmix

chexmix

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, MA, USA

Posted 24 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

... very excited this exists! :)

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

Erika

I am enthused that others are enthused about this sketching forum. I think that sketching is something that everyone should discover eventually- That it should be thought of as important as writing- Or perhaps even more so important.

As a child in early grade school, I thought that only I had the willingness to sketch and draw as the greater part of the classroom saw me as ther entertainer to constantly provide it. There was maybe only one other guy that sketched as well as I did. He and I became close friends throughout the later school years. His profession turned to architectural accurate renderings of homes and buildings as I re-acquainted myself with him recently. Mine has still remained in the cosmos to this day.

I will look forward to any advice that you may have as to what I should enter as a potential work for competition to the sketch of the day and/or month.

Thanks again,
Mark

#6 Erix

Erix

Toad Lily

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

Hi Mark,

Astronomy Sketch of the Day is a whole other website that observers can submit their sketches to share with others. It's similar to LPOD and APOD. You can click on the link provided in my post above to see how to submit your sketches there.

As for this sketching forum, it is for sketches created during an observing session. Some will recreate their sketches in photosoftware based on their raw sketches that they did at the eyepiece or naked eye.

Any sketch that you have done while observing is welcome here as well as can be submitted in our monthly contest, as long as you follow the contest guidelines.

As most of your sketches are done away from the eyepiece several hours after your observing session, it falls into our Astro Art forum description. As you have stated before, you draw most of your solar sketches late at night and also enjoy putting an abstract twist to it, making it perfect for our Astro Art forum in the link provided above. You'd be a welcome addition to the Art forum, I'm sure! :bow:

Please feel welcome to share any sketches you've done at the time of observing here in the sketches forum. I'd love to see them! :D

And you are also most welcome to share sketching tips here as well to help the rest of us with our sketches that are used as a visual recording of our observation.
  • markseibold likes this

#7 lunartic65

lunartic65

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin Ireland

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Just about to dip my toe into the sketching waters and cruisng the forum shows the talent that is out there, so many are photographic in quality and displays the dedication of sketchers.

#8 acr_astro

acr_astro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, Dusseldorf area

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

Hi all,

just read that Jeremy announced on asod.info that he and Rich can not further maintain the daily updates of the website.

Read the details here: http://www.asod.info/?p=15146

Thank you Jeremy and Rich for your wonderful efforts during the past years and keep fingers crossed that there will be a re-vival of the website some day!

Achim

Edited by acr_astro, 16 June 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#9 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Soyuz

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

The website had an enormous influence in promoting astrosketching! I hope it will restart soon.... because I already miss my everyday visit.

• Aquarellia likes this

#10 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:38 AM

The website had an enormous influence in promoting astrosketching! I hope it will restart soon.... because I already miss my everyday visit.

Indeed!!!

It looks that our famous ASOD is completely dead ... ?

If true that's so sad, all the work all the sketches are gone...

I used often the huge ASOD database to find objects as we can see them through the EP, and...

There is a enormous list of reference to ASOD everywhere, all pointing to the void...

Is there anything to do ???

:bawling:

Michel

Edited by Aquarellia, 06 June 2016 - 03:41 AM.

#11 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

Michel,

I was able to access the site and it still appears the archives are operational. I too have looked to the site for confirming an eyepiece view, as well as marvelling over techniques and objects I may not have observed. I miss the site as my " first stop" every day. Hopefully one day someone with the time and knowledge to operate the site will step up. 

Cindy

#12 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

Indeed Cindy, the day after ASOD was up and running again, OUF... We can go to this uncredibely rich database !

I no we are not the only one who miss ASOD.

Michel

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics