•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

LX 200 GPS

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:47 AM

I am considering purchasing an LX200 GPS. My question is
I have a bacyard obervatory dome shaped. The only opening is the slit which is 30" wide and presently housed a Cave 10 f/7
Astrola Newtonian. Will I be able to receive the signal in the
observatory or do I need a whole empty sky. Please advise if
anyone can assist me . Meade does not state in their literature if this is a problem.
Many thanks
Tycho
i

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 01 September 2003 - 11:11 AM

This model doesn't have a well-positioned antenna and tends to have trouble locking from any obstructed location. It's not a problem; GPS repeaters are readily available which will bring the signal into the observatory.

#3 Grizz

Grizz

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 01 September 2003 - 12:26 PM

I'v read reports by folks who can get a GPS lock in their observatories and some from in their house! And then some folks have trouble getting a lock outside. My own experience is I can get a lock on the sats outside 100% of the time but never indoors. As John said a repeater is available. I will look around for the link and post it here.
I think its aprox $100.00 (US)

Craig

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2003 - 02:33 PM

FWIW, I'm one of those who locked from inside my apartment, albeit, fairly close to a picture window. However, it was on the lower of two floors.

Not sure why this should be so in one part of New Jersey and not another, but life is full of mysteries. It's probably prudent to get the repeater, or find some other workaround.

It does seem that the lock happens much more quickly in clear air vs. under cover.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 01 September 2003 - 07:28 PM

I've never managed to get either a Meade or Celestron GPS scope to lock from my dining room next to the French doors. On the deck, the Celestrons lock great but I must remove the finderscope from the Meade to see the satellites. In the observatory they all work, even with the finder in place. I think the antennas are just poorly placed.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2003 - 05:00 PM

John,

Just a thought, but do you have a significant amount of copper in the walls or the floor(s) above? Copper plumbing, frinstance, just might be TEMPESTing you, just when you want it least. Actually, I'm not sure how effective it is at blocking incoming signals, but the EM effects of copper (wiring, or maybe grounded pipes (I'm less sure of that) just might be blocking what I've tended to assume was a fairly weak signal in the case of GPS.

Just a thought that jumped into my head, and probably not a very sensible one.

But I'm fairly certain that this place has PVC plumbing only, and knowing the builders, they ran as little wire as they could get away with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics