•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mayflower refractor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:09 PM

This is one of the nicest of my old refractors, a Mayflower 815. It seems quite a bit nicer than the Sears/Tasco scopes of the era, and is more "Unitron-like" in build. The mount is gorgeous, and has extremely smooth motions. The focuser accepts 1.25" EP holders, and has nice satin aluminum knobs. The optics are excellent.

Does anyone know who made these? It doesn't resemble the typical Towa refractors of the era, and doesn't have the "circle T" marking - instead it has "SYW".

-Jake
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:32 PM

Very nice condition. Thanks for sharing it with us.

#3 John Kocijanski

John Kocijanski

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

Nice. Parts of it look similar to a Sears 76mm f/16 I once used.

#4 rodrake

rodrake

Ranger 4

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:44 PM

Very nice. As John mentioned, many of the parts look identical to my Sears Discoverer including much of the mount hardware and the focuser knobs.

#5 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:50 PM

Interesting. Do you have any photos of your mount you can post? I have never seen a Sears mount that looks like this one. -Jake

#6 rodrake

rodrake

Ranger 4

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:37 PM

Here's mine. As you can see, all the quick release levers and fittings are identical as is the tube ring and slow motion controls. The worm gears are definitely different though. Do you know when yours was made?

Attached Thumbnails

• 213135-Mount.jpg

#7 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:55 PM

Cool, thanks for the photo - I love seeing these old scopes! :-) As for the age, I bought this from the original owner, who said it was from around the mid sixties. It is really a wonderful performer, and I have always been curious as to who made it. You are right, the machined levers and tube ring look similar, but the rest looks a bit different. The gears are definitely different, as is the whole dec assembly - mine does not have the exposed DEC shaft as on your mount and also on the other Towa's like the Tascos. I am not convinced that mine is made by Towa, as it looks a bit different, and does not have the "Circle T", but instead has a diamond with "SYW". Any ideas who "SYW" is? Yours looks to be in very nice shape, BTW! I bet it is a joy to use. -Jake

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:18 PM

I just got mine from my grandfather. he past away this June. I have all the records you might need. The answer I think you want is the Colonial Optical Company, INC.
1954 So. LA Cienega BLVD. Los Angeles. Calif 90034.

I hope that helps. My grand father kept everything! please reach me @ denni005@bama.ua.edu . I will be happy to share the paper work. the other company was Mayflower. All I know is that my grandfather purchased this in 1970. I have ever letter, receipt and manual. I hope this helps.

I have the #816 600x refracting telescope. I still have to find all the eye pieces and gadgets. he has them all.

Burt

#9 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:56 PM

Thats an awesome looking refractor...Real nice, thanks for sharing :)

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:06 AM

Hi Jake, I have a mount just like this one. However there is a little bit of play in the tube clamp even when knob is locked off tight. The large nut at bottom, inside clamp, seems tight. Any idea how i can eliminate the slight play.
Thanks
Colin

#11 rodrake

rodrake

Ranger 4

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:22 AM

I lined mine with felt. You can get adhesive backed felt at most craft supply stores.

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

Hi, I´m new in that forum, but seen the pictures of your nice refractor with the syw label as I was looking for an identification of a similar old telescope. I own a smaller refractor also labeld with "syw" in the diamond, but with a label "Denkar model CA-60" (its a 60/800mm). It was sold 1965 by Eschenbach (Germany) and comes with all original accessories in a wooden chest. It has a metall tripod and an alt-azimuth mount (very similar in appearance to your equatorial one). Is all made of metal with the same fine focuser finish. I tried to get some information from the Eschenbach company about this refractor, but they didn`t keep the old records.

I try to attach an image (the original color of the focuser is darker (more like your images) as on my pictures. Sorry for the quality but I had to borrow a digital camera

Sorry for the large image, I apologize for any inconvenience I caused with that and try to attach a smaller version.

Jalewa69

Attached Thumbnails

• 540440-total2.JPG

#13 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:13 AM

Welcome to CN and to this forum, Jalewa! That's a beautiful and unusual scope you have. I am intrigued by the faceted tube holder and mount; I've never seen an example of this style. Can I assume this is Japanese-made?

#14 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:41 AM

Hi ngc6475. Thanks. Not sure about the original manufacturer. Got now answer from Eschenbach company who probably sold this telescope 1965. I attach an image of the label. Maybe it is made in Japan, because there is the "SYW" in the diamond but no "made in...". The kind of finish of the tube we call in Germany "Hammerschlaglackierung". The tube-holder is plain (hope this is the right expression) and darker gray then on the image (More like the color of Jakes Mayflower) and lined with green felt.

Anyone an idea who is the real manufacturer or heard about " denkar " or the " syw " in the diamond? As I`m interested in the history of this instrument, every hint is wellcome. :question:

Best Regards
Jalewa

Sorry for the large image :(, I apologize for any inconvenience I caused with that and try now to attach a smaller version.

Jalewa69

Attached Thumbnails

• 541523-label.JPG

#15 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:47 PM

Very nice!

Many of the parts look extremely similar to my Mayflower - especially the focuser and finder bracket. I don't think I have ever seen one that looks like yours - it is certainly very unusual and interesting.

Thanks for the photos!

-Jake

#16 stevenk

stevenk

Ranger 4

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:14 AM

Jake
What name would you give the colour of your mount and scope parts. I am restoring an Astro Opt/Royal 60mm F20 mount and tripod and they share the same colour as yours. Mine needs a respray however
Have you any idea what colour this is ???

Steve

#17 Kenny

Kenny

Viking 1

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:35 AM

I don't know who's selling it (I'm not a member), but there is now a Mayflower on A-Mart for anyone who's interested.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics