•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BEST Monitor for Mallincam/StellaCam Etc.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
237 replies to this topic

#226 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:13 PM

Nice find Neil. Here is another link to this unit...

http://tinyurl.com/2jm6ce

In looking at that link, it looks like a different monitor, although very interesting as it has Brightness, color intensity, tint, red drive, and blue drive. :question:

Neil

#227 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

Neil ,would you quit finding all these neat products, I only have so much money. :smirk:

Bill

#228 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Neil ,would you quit finding all these neat products, I only have so much money. :smirk:

Bill

Sorry Bill, I'm still thinking about what LCD to put beside my focuser. :help:

Neil

#229 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

On Saturday and Sunday nights, I put my Speco and Watec monitors to test under the real stars at Chiefland Astronomy Village. I was using my CPC1100 HyperStar with the Color HYPER PLUS. I was using a red plexiglas cover on the Wateca as it resided on the fork base on the scope. The Speco was inside my EZ-Up canopy and for most of the nights I removed the red plexiglas for group viewing in color. The views on the Speco were phemenominal. :jump: Possibly due to the f/1.8 system speed on the CPC1100, the colors on the objects viewed were vibrant. Too bad the frame grabs turned out lousy. Hopefully tonight I will get better luck with one of Rock's USB 2.0 devices.

Jack

#230 Bob S.

Bob S.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:03 PM

Jack, As we have been discussing on another thread, the frame grabs may be much better than we have been thinking. I am going to go back and view a bunch of the single frame grabs at about 6-8 feet away from the computer monitor to simulate the quality of the images that we are seeing live in the field. I suspect it is going to make a big difference for viewers and I recommend that others try something that someone figured out on another thread. Bob

#231 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

I was using a red plexiglas cover on the Wateca as it resided on the fork base on the scope. The Speco was inside my EZ-Up canopy and for most of the nights I removed the red plexiglas for group viewing in color.

Hi Jack... Just now got back from WSP. 3 hours sleep in the last 36 - totally zombied out! I'll forward you some in-depth comments via private email.

My solution to "monitor pollution" has been to place the WATEC inside a small "6-Pack"-cooler from K-Mart and the 10.4" Marshall inside a larger version.
They are both padded and extremely light weight. I just cut out a space in the bottom (back) to run the cables and painted the insides flat black.
The ultimate test was in the crowded observing field of the WSP.......THERE WERE NO COMPLAINTS FROM ANY NEARBY OBSERVERS (and we were packed about 10' from each other)!
You can only see the monitors by looking down into the coolers and all other light from the screens is blocked.
***They also protect the monitors from dew!

ALSO - I don't know if it's the additional aperture or the new amp or a combination of both....but your 56-second image of NGC-1300 (even considering the degradation of capturing and posting the image) was not nearly as good as the view I had of it in the 28" at 14 seconds!!!

Mike

#232 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Mike, how about some pictures? I only have the Speco and don't know yet how I'm going to view and focus without blinding someone. I remember last year when somebody had a cellphone next to my scope, couldn't believe how bright and distracting it was, can only imagine what a 9" monitor would be like.

Bill

Bill

#233 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:18 PM

Mike,

You have 6.5 times the aperture and the Galaxy was 5 degrees higher in the sky from the Keys than it was from CAV. That would account for some of the improvement you saw. Also, as you said, grabbed frames do not do justice to the camera.

Jack

#234 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

Mike,

You have 6.5 times the aperture and the Galaxy was 5 degrees higher in the sky from the Keys than it was from CAV. That would account for some of the improvement you saw. Also, as you said, grabbed frames do not do justice to the camera.

Jack

Oh sure, I know. I wasn't criticizing your image...
I was just trying to point out how much more detail was visible at 14 seconds with the new camera amp.
Much more than I could see at that iteration with the old amp!

Mike

#235 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

I wish I could have been with you at the WSP as I know how well your scope performs. I think my camera also has the new Holtek amplifier as Rock has been using it for the last few batches of cameras he has sent to me. I know that I can't use more than 3 notches from the left in AGC in a dark sky site and at home I have to leave the AGC full left when using the HyperStar. F/1.8, mag 4 skies and high gain don't mix well.

Did you do any frame grabbing or recording of the objects you looked at? I would like to see them if you did. :jump:

Jack

#236 adkstars

adkstars

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

Always one to put the cart before the horse,I went on eBay armed with the basics I have gleaned from this group.My MCHP is on order and wishing to have a monitor waiting to try it out ASAP,I went whole hog and spent $51+ shipping on the link below.If it is not satisfactory.I can always sell it . What are your opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...:MEWN:IT&ih=017

#237 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

420 line resolution, a whole bunch of input options and what appears to be every upfront control known to mankind ... I'd say it looks good. Let's hope it handles the shipping without any issues.

For $51 + shipping it looks like a great deal.

#238 adkstars

adkstars

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

Well,it arrived yesterday and after allowing it to warm up to room temp. I connected it to an S-video output from my cable box. Color is vintage 1990s but I can switch from color to BW with a push of a button.I think it will serve me for a "starter" unit.It will give me time to further investigate and who knows maybe it will be adequate enough or will serve as a companion BW monitor to whatever I eventually upgrade to. Rick.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics