•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BEST Monitor for Mallincam/StellaCam Etc.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
237 replies to this topic

#26 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

In the Yahoo Mallincam forum Dave (Bowmoreman) said he had used a flip mirror. Maybe he could share with us how it worked out.

#27 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I was planning to use my 13" Sony Trinitron TV -- will that work?

#28 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

I just a few hours ago bought this...

1. MoonLite Dual Rate Crayford Focuser (Model CR2) 264$
2. Universal Install Kit for CR1 and CR2 Focusers 45$
3. Round Table 25 up to 28 inch diameter platform 654$
4. MallinCam Hyper PLUS Color 1199.95
5. Mallincam USB 2 computer adapter 139.95

Total: 2302.90

was this a good buy. Eventualy I would like to mount a small screen right beside the eyepiece for live viewing. I can't wait! any thoughts on how to improve a wonderful setup

#29 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

Merry Christmas to you!

#30 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

The only thing I've bought so far is the Moon light focuser. What I'm waiting for is for the guy from Round table to call me back on the size of the platform I shoulod have for a 12" dob. I've heard from Someone here, that says that you should try This with a big dob and if you do make it as stable as possible.. I love the views seen with my scope, and I just want to add color!!! Sue me. :roflmao:

It's like live music vs recorded. This is now, this is here. :bow:

#31 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:52 AM

This is the way to open up your apture to what it can really do, even under light poluted skies.

#32 kent

kent

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:52 AM

Way to go Neil! No fooling around.

#33 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:30 AM

It's on!!!

#34 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

$239 here.

http://www.plasma.co...r/vlcd4prol.htm

That's the model without the battery and case... (don't really need them anyway).
That ia a Very Very good price...Free Shipping, No Tax (at least to Ca.) And a Warranty...

So I need to know what is the best price out there on the Marshall 4" Pro Monitor... That way I can adjust my price down to a point where my Monitors are still a Good Deal...

I would like to compair the Marsall 4" to a Watec 3.5" but I don't know anyone in my area that uses one.
Does the Watec 3.5" have Color, Brightness, Contrast, And Tint Controls?
What is the resolution of the Watec 3.5"?

Greg

Well it looks like $239.00 Free shipping is the lowest price found on the internet, so I'll sell the 4" Marshall Monitors I have access to for $155.00 with a fused power cord and free shipping...That's a good deal for such a great little monitor.
The weather in Central Cal. Has cleared so I'm headed out to my darksite :jump:, I will take some pictures with a Canon digital camera of the 4" marshall in action, and try to get them posted Sunday night or Monday.
If anyone wants one of these 4" Monitors you can send me a private message.
If anyone would like to check my rating and feedback on
A-mart just do a member search for my name.

Greg Wilhite

#35 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

In the Yahoo Mallincam forum Dave (Bowmoreman) said he had used a flip mirror. Maybe he could share with us how it worked out.

My Vixen Flip mirror works fabulously... I use my Ethos in the 90 degree mode as my "finder" eyepiece (LOL) and the Mallincam in straight through mode...

I just got a used Van Slyke Slider 2" flip mirror (slide mirror actually), but it takes up about 3/8" more backfocus than the Vixen, and I haven't figured out how to get to focus just yet...

But, If I center an object in the Ethos, it is "on chip" for the Mallincam w/ no problems... Note that I'm using the MFR3 and the 5 and 10mm spacers, so I'm operating at f/9 for the Ethos, and probably around f/6 for the MCHP... All off the Vixen flip mirror...

Can't remember just now, but I *think* the deltas in f-ratio makes the TFOVs about the same (?)... sure feels that way...

I personally love flip mirror use cases for any photo work...

clear skies

#36 CarolG

CarolG

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:20 PM

Dave, thanks for your input. It sounds like the flip mirror works great. I've been putting my "finder" eyepiece in the diagonal, then switching to the MC once I've gotten the object in the FOV. It's a real pain sometimes, and I always worry I'll accidentally pull on the cord and knock the camera off the eyepiece tray, which, by the way I've already done once! (Those Mallincams are built like a tank, as I found out the heart stopping way) I'm hoping the little Watec I got will become my new finder eyepiece.
Wow, Greg, that sounds like a really good price on the Marshall monitor, just wish it had come up a couple of weeks ago before I'd ordered my Watec. Can't wait to see pics of it in action.

#37 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Consider having two monitors.

The reason I say this is our experience working both at the scope(12.5 Dob or anything else) and also having a viewing station away from the scope. You have choices since the camera has 2 outputs; but we typically only use the BNC output and then daisy chain two monitors (all the security-type monitors can be daisychained with no loss in signal).

If you are really sold on a little screen on the eyepiece, that is good, but you can also run the other output to a standard inexpensive but high resolution B&W monitor (less than $100) for any audience or nearby people. These monitors in the security arena are typically 800-1000TVL and provide excellent viewing of the MC output.

For our application, we chose not to have an EP-type mounted screen but run the first output to a 12 in high res B&W monitor about 8 feet from the EP position with a little masking to prevent too much glare toward the scope. Then we run from that monitor to a high hes color Tosh monitor. It works great. In short, you have lots of options. Roland

#38 Douglas

Douglas

Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:55 PM

Carol, congratulations on the new setup! I have the WATEC-35 right next to my focuser and the control knobs make setting adjustments amazingly easy. It pivots on the mount for easy positioning and the image quality is amazing.

Dave: The Vixen Flip Mirror looks like the cure to an annoying process of swapping an EP used for centering, for the camera for viewing/imaging.

- Doug

#39 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

I forgot to mention that I split the signal and send it wirelessly to my Pioneer Plasma 50" 1080i HDTV in my living room and am very pleased with the view. The star fields are huge and the images are smooth.

When it gets cold outside I can view inside in the living room. Jack showed me how to do it and I am eternally greatful. I can't take the cold this time of year and thanks to Jack I won't miss the great winter targets because it's too cold out there!

- Doug

#40 bkushner

bkushner

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

I use a Sanyo VMC-8614F which was highly recommended in the Mallincam yahoo group. Works great.

Brian

#41 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

This is the Comment from Left Field...but having seen images from Jack Huerkamp's equipment and that which Mike Harvey was also kind enough to share, even the images on a small monitor clobber what can be seen in the eyepiece. While one's eye can engage in better resolution at the EP, if the retina doesn't trigger, fuggedaboudit. Seeing something at somewhat reduced resolution trumps not seeing it at higher resolution. And even a 3.5" quality monitor with the Mallincam Hyper Color Plus produces an image that just won't be seen at an eyepiece.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Jack's Jack's Astro Accessories LLC, nor Rock Mallin's operation (but I could be bought :grin:). I do, however, agree with Mike Harvey's assessment that There's a New Wave Coming in electronically-enhanced visual observing, and Mallincams are, IMHO, on the crest of the wave.

#42 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

Hi... just a curious vistor here... how do you mount the small 3.5"-4" LCD monitors to your focuser/scope?

#43 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:16 AM

Chewing gum and zip ties. No, seriously, most of them have what amounts to a tripod mounting hole and with a little ingenuity they can be mounted to the scope or mount or to an accessory rail.

#44 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:24 AM

Carol,

You will be very pleased with the Watec-35. At a recent stargaze, it provided the best views to date. Of course it is small, but then it feels more like "observing" when you have to climb up to the monitor mounted next to the focuser. I have the 10.4" in my 2008 wish list. The Watec-35 at the focuser and the Marshall 10.4 on the table mounted on the rear of the 17.5" for group viewing.

Jack

Hi Jack, I am pulling the trigger on the WATEC 35 today (this is one of my Christmas presents from my wonderful wife), but have a couple questions for you (and others using it) before I do so:

:question: It notes it comes with a "power plug", but, do I need to order their power supply? Can I just connect a "Y" adapter from the Power to the MCHP and tap into 12V that way?
:question: do I need to order any of their various "mount adapters", or can I just figure it out and mount using combinations of double sided tape and/or zip ties, etc?

Thanks in advance for any WATEC insights!

clear skies

#45 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

I attached it on my UTA next to the focuser using their ball and pivot joint mount which is the perfect height and allows me to swivel the monitor to face any direction. There are 2 mounts available so be careful to order the right one. You want the MS50, here is the link to it on the WATEC website: http://www.watec.net...ssory/ms50.html

Here is what it looks like on my UTA

Posted Image

- Doug

#46 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:13 AM

That a heck of a setup you got there Douglas!

#47 Douglas

Douglas

• Vendors

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:28 AM

Thanks! You will notice just to the right of the camera is a small wireless transmitter which I use to send the signal to my laptop to capture images and to my 50" Plasma in the house. I am having so much fun with this it is unbelievable.

I forgot to mention to Dave, you can use a Y cable to use the same power source for both the MallinCam and WATEC monitor. My Y cable came with my wireless transmitter from the VFM store and I use it with the WATEC. I also had Charlie Starks from www.marklessastronomics.com fabricate some custom length power cables to keep it all neat and tidy. You can also find custom length video cables from www.cablesondemand.com

- Doug

#48 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

I can't wait till I've gotten all the logistics worked out so I can enjoy that kind of setup. :bigshock: I just need to get the in-travel problem adressed, then I can move foward. Until the I will just have to hate you! :lol:

#49 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:46 AM

Thanks, Doug! Exactly the info I needed. I already know that that exact wireless configuration is "under the tree" :jump: So, now all I need to add is the Watec 35 and the ball adapter...

My plan is to mount the WATEC onto my XT10i via the ball adapter. I can mount it on my Vixen more easily, since I have two dovetails on the MoonLite Focuser on that rig... looks like a dovetail to 1/4" threaded will do the trick there.

clear skies because - not even an MCHP can drill through the freezing rain/clouds we have right now! :lol:

#50 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:50 AM

I can't wait till I've gotten all the logistics worked out so I can enjoy that kind of setup. :bigshock: I just need to get the in-travel problem adressed, then I can move foward. Until the I will just have to hate you! :lol:

Neil, how do you KNOW thatyou have an in-travel (aka: backfocus) problem? I haven't tried it out yet on my XT10i to know one way or the other. Jack suggested to me that he didn't know either way...

Do you have some hard data (yet)? Cause we'll both be in that boat together!

clear skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics