•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nov07 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Finals Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Nov07 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Finals Poll! (528 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Image is our Winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:42 PM

Welcome to the November 2007 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The monthly winner receives the coveted Cloudy Nights t-shirt! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite out of all the images. This poll will remain open through November 15th at midnight EST.

Here are the entries for November!

Beginning Imaging's Finalist - Glassthrower:

Posted Image

It was captured on October 20th, 2007 - 10:20pm CST, from Houma Louisiana. Other information regarding the equipment used is captioned in the photo.

Film Imaging's Finalist - AstroBobo:

Posted Image

Cygnus, three exposures, 2x25 min on Fuji Provia 400 + 1x50 min on Kodak E200. Medium format camera Pentax 6x7, Pentax Takumar 150mm lens @ f/5.6. Taken from Petrova Gora, Croatia.

Higher resolution and quality version is here

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - soreneck:

Posted Image

NGC2244 / The Rosette Nebula
Capture date: November 3
Scope: Equinox 80mm Apo @ f5 (0.8X WO flattener)
Mount: HEQ5 unguided
Camera: Modified Canon 350, ISO800, IDAS LPS P2 filter
Exposure: 60 minutes, 30x120sec lights, 12 darks, 10 flats
Conditions: average seeing, good transparency
Processing: stacked in DeepSkyStacker, processed in PS CS2

Larger version can be found here .

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Jared:

Posted Image

M42--The Orion Nebula
Jared Willson
November 23, 2007, Oakland, CA
Losmandy GM-8 Mount; FLT-110 APO @ f/6.5 (TEC); SBIG STL-11000; FLT field flattener; Astrodon LRG&B TrueBalance "I" filters

x3 three minute exposures luminance; x3 thirty second exposures luminance; x1 three minute exposure for each of RG&B

Internally guided and captured in Equinox Image; Calibration, error rejection, DDP, and color combine in MaximDL; Post processing in Photoshop CS2

Solar System Imaging's Finalist - Bart Declercq:

Posted Image

Mosaic of Moretus/Clavius region - October 31st 2007 3h00 UT
Each of the 6 frames is a stack of 256/2500 frames at 1/30s exposure per frame.
Camera: DMK31AF
Telescope: Celestron C9.25
2x barlow extended to an effective x2.7 (so FL approx. 6.4m)

Sketching Forum's Finalist - Jeremy Perez:

Posted Image

Subject: Comet 17P / Holmes
Date/Time: November 7, 2007, 9:00 - 11:30 PM MST (November 8, 2007, 04:00 - 06:00 UT)
Observing Loc: Flagstaff, AZ - Home
Instrument: Orion XT8 (203 mm dia./1200 mm F/L)
Eyepieces: 32 mm Sirius Plössl (38X / 66 arc minute TFOV)
Conditions: Calm, intermittent high cirrus
Seeing: 4/10 Pickering
Transparency: Mag 6.0 NELM

As the comet has gotten larger, the outer envelope has become much less distinct. It shows up as a faint brightening near the inner envelope that fades imperceptibly into the background. The inner envelope has almost outgrown my 24 arc-minute wide 120X view. To the naked eye, it is a large, soft spot in Perseus. The binocular view is getting better as it moves closer to the Alpha Persei association and they fit in the field more comfortably.

Through both binoculars and low power telescopic views, the comet is a bluish green color. The pseudo nucleus is much less distinct, but still visible even at 38X. The inner envelope is now soft enough on the southeast side that this half displays a sort of blinking effect between direct and averted vision. The jellyfish appearance is still there, but now I can also see an ancient trilobite in the shape of the comet. The lumpy irregularities in the central condensation seem more spread out now, and had what looked like a cartoon saguaro cactus arrangement. At 38X, I noticed a bright extension flowing away from the axis of the central condensation, well outside of the soft inner envelope. Some softer fan-like extensions also seemed to peel away from the southeast and northwest sides of the inner envelope.

The sketch was created on Strathmore sketch paper, in a 3.5" sketch circle, using charcoal and graphite (2H & HB) with a chamois, blending stump and kneaded eraser. The sketch was scanned, inverted, adjusted for contrast, dust and scratches cleaned up with the clone tool, and uneven portions adjusted with dodge and burn tools. Color was added last.

Good Luck to all our finalists!

#2 AstroBobo

AstroBobo

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

I am not worthy! The Clavius region and Holmes sketch are AMAZING! I had a hard time choosing, but my vote goes to the sketch master!

#3 CreationAstroGuy

CreationAstroGuy

Viking 1

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

Mine went to Bart. Amazing!

#4 Dick Lipke

Dick Lipke

Viking 1

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

That view of the moon made me feel as if I was about to full fill my dreams,I was about to
finaly land and walk on the moon.
Thank you Bart Declercq.

#5 poweruser

poweruser

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

Although I'm not terribly experienced, I can say with total confidence that the Bart's shot is the sharpest I've seen by an amateur, of the moon.

#6 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

Well, this is the first time the decision has been easy, OMG! Bart Declercq's moon is the sharpest moon I have ever seen from earth, HANDS DOWN!!! It looks like a snapshot from an orbiting Command Module, even sharper ;)

WTFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

PS - I'm sold!!! Man, been hearing rave reviews about the C9.25 for years, but this pic has left me in awe. Of course is 90% the astrophotographer, but at least it shows the potential ;)

Truly Amazing.

#8 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

I took a look at my competition in the contest, and it's very humbling! :bow:

All of the photos are professional quality and Jeremy's sketches are always top-notch. I don't feel worthy of being in the poll to be honest.

Great work folks. It's very inspiring and makes me want to try my hand at more imaging. :)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#9 Roy M.

Roy M.

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

Mike, I love the target area and phase you chose, I just think none of us stood a chance against Bart's offering this month ;) CYgnus, Rossetta, Orion and sketch (love the sketch!) are awesome pics in their own right... IMHO Bart just pushed the amateur envelope :bow: :bow:

#10 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

Roy, I look back through old Sky and Telescope magazines from the 1950's when astrophotography was done with plate cameras and darkrooms, and I am amazed at how far amateur imaging has come since then. We regularly see results here on CN, taken from suburban backyards, that clearly beat the "professional" and observatory photos from the old days. Bart's shot looks like it was taken on Mt. Wilson - on a good night. And Jeremy's sketches often look photographic - him and Kraterkid are in an elite league of sketching.

I never used to visit the imaging forums until I started lurking recently - to learn more about afocal imaging. Now I am getting hooked on all the great eye candy around here.

:)

#11 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

Don't be so sure that Bart is going to win this one! It looks to me like he may have clipped the black point in the upper right and lower left corners... :)

Seriously, that is one detailed image!

#12 hypernova

hypernova

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

I am wowed by these entries. "Solar Systems Finest" Looks like an apollo Photo. Nice job guys

#13 w orchid

w orchid

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

I am beginning to hate the contest. All of the entries are worthy to be crowned the winner.

#14 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

They're all great. I really like the balance and clarity of the orion image. But Bart's moon shot is flat out amazing, up there with alan friedman's best work.
--george

#15 Ironside

Ironside

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

NGC2244 / The Rosette Nebula
Capture date: November 3
Scope: Equinox 80mm Apo @ f5 (0.8X WO flattener)
Mount: HEQ5 unguided
Camera: Modified Canon 350, ISO800, IDAS LPS P2 filter
Exposure: 60 minutes, 30x120sec lights, 12 darks, 10 flats
Conditions: average seeing, good transparency
Processing: stacked in DeepSkyStacker, processed in PS CS2

#16 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

This feels so unfair to have to pick. They're all amazing, and it's a bit like apples and oranges. But pick I did.

Congratulations to all the finalists on their excellent shots!

#17 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

Jared,

I was wowed by Declerq's moon, too, but I still voted for your magnificent M42. There's something just magical about this ever so commonly imaged nebula, and your shot brings forth the magic in a poetic way. Jared, the vivid coloration wouldn't let me go.

That said, I have to concur with the others that this was truly a VERY difficult choice. All the contestants were quite close. The Cygnus is GREAT (another magical region of the skies). Of course, Declerq's Luna is in a league with Kaguya -- mesmerizing.

And no discussion is complete without mentioning soreneck's Rosette Nebula. It almost got my vote, too. That's one SHARP image, and I love the Jo-Anne McArthur photography website. Keep up the great work, Adam! Definitely good enough to be my Desktop's background in the large-frame mode. Fantastic work!

As usual, Jeremy always does great sketches with well-written narrative to flesh out the observing experience and impart an experiential sense to the brotherhood of astronomy. And Louisiana's own is throwing up some nice images, too.

Great job, everyone!

CDS

#18 BAMBAM

BAMBAM

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

All of the photos are professional quality and Jeremy's sketches are always top-notch. I don't feel worthy of being in the poll to be honest.

Great work folks. It's very inspiring and makes me want to try my hand at more imaging. :)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

Hi mike I would really like to see you take the same pic with your new 150mm Mak. I would really be interested in the results of that. Throw one on your thread when you get a chance.

Lawrence :grin:

#19 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

• Vendors

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

Here's the full-size version of my shot in the poll :

http://www.cloudynig...=12154&size=big

If I'm going to do anything but casual afocal with this Mak, then I'll likely need a focal reducer.

I won't say who I voted for (us green folks shouldn't show any favoritism), but it was a tough tough choice. Regardless of whether I have an image in the contest, I am going to start following these monthly competitions on a regular basis now. I'm very impressed with the entries. Now I don't have to see the NASA Picture of the Day, I can just get my eye candy fix here on CN. :)

As soon as I get my mount back, I am going to start doing some imaging experiments with the Mak.

#20 mandarpotdar

mandarpotdar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Bart, I felt like flying a few kilometers above the moon surface.. excellent photo :)

#21 Arun S Bharadwaj

Arun S Bharadwaj

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

Bert`s photo made me feel as if I was walking on the moon.... Amazing picture !!!!

#22 sunnynights

sunnynights

Sputnik

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

These were wonderful displays of artistic talent and technical skill. My compliments to all.
--sunnynights

#23 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:57 PM

I am not worthy! The Clavius region and Holmes sketch are AMAZING! I had a hard time choosing, but my vote goes to the sketch master!

Once again, I wish they could all be given medals. But, in the final analysis, I had to agree with you.

#24 FAB

FAB

Stargeezer

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

Clavius is one of my favorite Lunar features. The Comet Holmes sketch is very impressive, but I went for Bart.
FAB

#25 soreneck

soreneck

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:09 AM

I've got to agree with Glassthrower -- I'm humbled to even appear in the same list as some of you guys! It's a stunning set of images overall, and in my humble opinion Bart Declerqc's razor-sharp Clavius landscape does clearly stand above the rest.

Cheers,
Adam

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics