•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nov07 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Finals Poll!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Nov07 CN Sketching/Imaging Contest Finals Poll! (528 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Image is our Winner?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#26 soreneck

soreneck

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:12 AM

And no discussion is complete without mentioning soreneck's Rosette Nebula. It almost got my vote, too. That's one SHARP image, and I love the Jo-Anne McArthur photography website. Keep up the great work, Adam! Definitely good enough to be my Desktop's background in the large-frame mode. Fantastic work!

Thanks for the kind words Collin! Jo-Anne is a close friend and immensely talented photojournalist, and I'm fortunate to help out with her site a little and share server space with her. :)

#27 guydickinson

guydickinson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:07 AM

Again, a fantastic selection. No idea how one can choose really.

#28 nothing

nothing

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:48 AM

Hi, I really liked Barts moon shot, one of the best I have ever seen. But my vote had to go to Jareds M42. This one rivals even the Hubble shots I have seen. Incredible detail in the wipsy bits, well done to both of you. I just wish I could have voted for both. Maybe we can have Solar system and deep space categories in the future.

Keith aka M42

#29 Asturies

Asturies

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:50 AM

I also enjoyed so much the rosette nebula, for two reasons, it's a very very nice image and intersted me so much because I have been looking for the accurate reducer-flattener for my 80mm Equinox and thanks to Soreneck I think I found it, thanks for the image Soreneck and the usefull information, BUT!!!...
With regard to the contest, nothing like being there, and Bart Declercq's walk on the Moon is AMAZING.
Rosette's image is my second one.
Could you tell me, please, which is the accurate distance you have found from the reducer to the chip of the 350D?
Greetings
Fernando

#30 Mr Proper

Mr Proper

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:12 AM

My vote goes to Jeremy, with his fine sketch of comet Holmes. And along with that the very detailed information.

#31 Paul in VA

Paul in VA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:02 AM

Amazing entries. I was about to vote and saw the sketching option. I thought, I don't remember seeing a sketch! So I went back up and realized the comet was a sketch. I had assumed it was a photo. Amazing job, truly amazing.

#32 claudio38

claudio38

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

Welcome to the November 2007 Cloudy Nights Imaging/Sketching Contest poll!

Each month the best images selected from the individual Cloudy Nights Imaging and Sketching forums will be presented for the userbase to vote on. The monthly winner receives the coveted Cloudy Nights t-shirt! At the conclusion of the poll, the entry with the highest total will be the winner of the contest..

Please choose your favorite out of all the images. This poll will remain open through November 15th at midnight EST.

Here are the entries for November!

Beginning Imaging's Finalist - Glassthrower:

Posted Image

It was captured on October 20th, 2007 - 10:20pm CST, from Houma Louisiana. Other information regarding the equipment used is captioned in the photo.

Film Imaging's Finalist - AstroBobo:

Posted Image

Cygnus, three exposures, 2x25 min on Fuji Provia 400 + 1x50 min on Kodak E200. Medium format camera Pentax 6x7, Pentax Takumar 150mm lens @ f/5.6. Taken from Petrova Gora, Croatia.

Higher resolution and quality version is here

DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing's Finalist - soreneck:

Posted Image

NGC2244 / The Rosette Nebula
Capture date: November 3
Scope: Equinox 80mm Apo @ f5 (0.8X WO flattener)
Mount: HEQ5 unguided
Camera: Modified Canon 350, ISO800, IDAS LPS P2 filter
Exposure: 60 minutes, 30x120sec lights, 12 darks, 10 flats
Conditions: average seeing, good transparency
Processing: stacked in DeepSkyStacker, processed in PS CS2

Larger version can be found here .

CCD Imaging & Processing's Finalist - Jared:

Posted Image

M42--The Orion Nebula
Jared Willson
November 23, 2007, Oakland, CA
Losmandy GM-8 Mount; FLT-110 APO @ f/6.5 (TEC); SBIG STL-11000; FLT field flattener; Astrodon LRG&B TrueBalance "I" filters

x3 three minute exposures luminance; x3 thirty second exposures luminance; x1 three minute exposure for each of RG&B

Internally guided and captured in Equinox Image; Calibration, error rejection, DDP, and color combine in MaximDL; Post processing in Photoshop CS2

Solar System Imaging's Finalist - Bart Declercq:

Posted Image

Mosaic of Moretus/Clavius region - October 31st 2007 3h00 UT
Each of the 6 frames is a stack of 256/2500 frames at 1/30s exposure per frame.
Camera: DMK31AF
Telescope: Celestron C9.25
2x barlow extended to an effective x2.7 (so FL approx. 6.4m)

Sketching Forum's Finalist - Jeremy Perez:

Posted Image

Subject: Comet 17P / Holmes
Date/Time: November 7, 2007, 9:00 - 11:30 PM MST (November 8, 2007, 04:00 - 06:00 UT)
Observing Loc: Flagstaff, AZ - Home
Instrument: Orion XT8 (203 mm dia./1200 mm F/L)
Eyepieces: 32 mm Sirius Plössl (38X / 66 arc minute TFOV)
Conditions: Calm, intermittent high cirrus
Seeing: 4/10 Pickering
Transparency: Mag 6.0 NELM

As the comet has gotten larger, the outer envelope has become much less distinct. It shows up as a faint brightening near the inner envelope that fades imperceptibly into the background. The inner envelope has almost outgrown my 24 arc-minute wide 120X view. To the naked eye, it is a large, soft spot in Perseus. The binocular view is getting better as it moves closer to the Alpha Persei association and they fit in the field more comfortably.

Through both binoculars and low power telescopic views, the comet is a bluish green color. The pseudo nucleus is much less distinct, but still visible even at 38X. The inner envelope is now soft enough on the southeast side that this half displays a sort of blinking effect between direct and averted vision. The jellyfish appearance is still there, but now I can also see an ancient trilobite in the shape of the comet. The lumpy irregularities in the central condensation seem more spread out now, and had what looked like a cartoon saguaro cactus arrangement. At 38X, I noticed a bright extension flowing away from the axis of the central condensation, well outside of the soft inner envelope. Some softer fan-like extensions also seemed to peel away from the southeast and northwest sides of the inner envelope.

The sketch was created on Strathmore sketch paper, in a 3.5" sketch circle, using charcoal and graphite (2H & HB) with a chamois, blending stump and kneaded eraser. The sketch was scanned, inverted, adjusted for contrast, dust and scratches cleaned up with the clone tool, and uneven portions adjusted with dodge and burn tools. Color was added last.

Good Luck to all our finalists!

#33 bigbaldjoe

bigbaldjoe

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:58 AM

I just showed my middle schoolers these photos and let them decide which I should vote for. They didn't think it was possible for people to take photos like that in their backyards........neither did I.

Great work folks.

#34 Bart Declercq

Bart Declercq

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

Although I'm not terribly experienced, I can say with total confidence that the Bart's shot is the sharpest I've seen by an amateur, of the moon.

Thanks all for the kind words! Those comments mean more to me then what my final "score" will be in the poll itself.

But on this mail, I have to say that my contest entry was a little limited by the contest conditions concerning dimensions and filesize of the image.

This is the original image on which the contest image is based, covering a bit more ground at a higher resolution.

Bart

#35 PhilG

PhilG

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

I was about ready to cast my vote for Jared's M42 until I scrolled down to Barts lunar image. Very impressive! Looks like an Apollo shot.

What is the ground resolution of the image in m/pixel or km /pixel?

Phil

#36 Bart Declercq

Bart Declercq

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

I was about ready to cast my vote for Jared's M42 until I scrolled down to Barts lunar image. Very impressive! Looks like an Apollo shot.

What is the ground resolution of the image in m/pixel or km /pixel?

Phil

Thanks, the original (link in the message above you) is at about 0.2" per pixel, which corresponds to roughly 400 meters per pixel. The poll image is roughly half that (so ~800m/pxl)

#37 ilias200400

ilias200400

Lift Off

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

Excellent images! Very hard to choose ...

#38 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

I'd like to welcome all of the newbies and first-time posters who replied in this thread. Thank for you kind words. :)

Welcome to Cloudy Nights and stick around. This handful of images is just a small representation of what our talented members can do. ;)

#39 glenncondie

glenncondie

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

WOW !! Barts the Man !

#40 DancesWithWords

DancesWithWords

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

Well I'm no expert, but I had had to give my vote to to the sketch. The detail was amazing. Though I also love the astrophotography stuff, great sketching for me is an awesome skill, and Jeremy did a super job of capturing the comet. Congrad'd Jeremy on a super job.

--
DWW

#41 carlcat

carlcat

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

Bart's moon pic is just amazing, looks great as my new desktop!!!! Thanks Bart.

#42 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

Whoa! Bart! Dang! *whew*

#43 Miguel Lopes

Miguel Lopes

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

Ok, all my doubts are over! C9.25 comming next year!!!!

#44 DNTash

DNTash

Apollo

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

These are all excellent shots, images, and representations of a wide variety of techniques. Congratulations to all -- winners in all their categories.

Boy, Bart's moon shot is close. And it does give you the sense of having orbital motion, doesn't it?

#45 nNemethon

nNemethon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

Now that was a very hard decision. I'm glad it's only once a month! :D

Special mentions to all who entered, terrific work. A very special mention to Soreneck with a wonderfully detailed and crisp image of the Rosette. Beautiful.
But the real argument was between Bart and Jared. Bart's, as you can see by the responses is just THE most magnificent moon image I have ever seen. Period! And I've seen my share of 1000's of them. But my vote eventually went to Jared for an incredible Orion. The wonderful detail especially in the edge filaments, the colours, the trap showing without killing off too much of the inner detail while preserving the blackness around the rest of the nebula. One of the most gorgeous Orions in any argument.

Very jealous of all of you and an inspiration for me to keep trying until I get it. :)

Cheers

Erik

#46 Dave A.

Dave A.

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Some great work. They are all good choices. Thanks for the submissions.

#47 Jeff J.

Jeff J.

Apollo

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

My choice was between Soreneck's Rosette and Bart's Moon. The sketch was also outstanding.

My vote went for the Moon...I just have never seen anything like that...and I've seen a lot : )

Jeff

#48 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

Thanks to all who provided feedback! Having your work appreciated helps all of us on those nights when:
- You forgot to charge your battery; or,
- You forgot to bring your field flattener; or,
- The right ascension drive seems to be a little out of whack causing the periodic error to bee too high for a good image; or,
- You spend an hour and a half setting up, drift aligning, and focusing only to see the clouds roll in; or,
- You spend two hours going through check lists, packing the scope up for a drive to dark skies on that weekend with a new moon only to find that your clear sky clock shows pure white; or,
- You just can't seem to get the scope to focus properly; or,
- You have a wonderful dark night and all your equipment is working perfectly, but the wind is just a little too strong for your mount/scope.

Recording the night sky--whether it be through a CCD camera, a DSLR, a sketch, a web cam, or on film--is a time consuming and often frustrating experience, so the encouragement is much appreciated!

#49 Opticalman

Opticalman

Sputnik

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

Bart the lunar photo is great and gets my vote!

#50 carlcat

carlcat

Viking 1

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

http://www.gokbilim....opic.php?p=8829

another amazing moon shot along with Bart's

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics