•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cure for aperture fever?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#26 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

You guys have me so stoked! I just can't wait till the goods arrive. :jump:

I thought I was done spending a couple years ago :roflmao:

#27 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

Hmmmm... maybe I should pick up a used 8" SCT OTA (Meade or Celestron) to mount on my pier mounted Vixen...

Y'know that's not a bad idea...especially if you could find a nice, used, Meade f/6.3!

Mike

#28 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:40 AM

I was thinking at some time of going with a Meade 12" F/8 RCX for the optimal scope for the Mallincam. I figure 2 years down the road, but there you go!!!

Neil

#29 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

Well Jack just made my day by e-mailing me that my MallinCam camera is in, and he will be testing it this weekend, and after it passes his quality control it will be on it's way to me. Talk about good news. I will be using it without tracking for a couple weeks until my RTP arrives on the 24th. I guess I should still be able to get some short integration shots through my 12" dob. I've been imaging Mars through it using a toUcam, and have a pretty good feel for how to allow the target drift through the FOV to capture. Of coarse when the RTP arrives, my viewing will become much easier. All I can say right now is, Jack is the man and wonderful person to do business with! Oh...and my 12" scope just became a 40" scope

:jump: :bow: :yay: :bigshock: :thewave: :applause: :jawdrop: :waytogo: :love: :poke: :band: :woot: :gve: :john: :bounce: :photo: :rockon: :banjodance: :tomatodance: :rofl5: :elephdance: :hamsterdance: :whee: :flexible:

As Dave says, Clear enough skies
Neil

#30 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

I bought my NexStar 8i to use as my Mallincam scope because I wanted tracking and go-to is a necessity in the city for most DSOs. I got it some months ago and have it all ready with dew-shield, Wing Thing and Ray's brackets. If my Retro Disney TV works out as a monitor, I'll modify the eyepiece tray to hold it.

Hopefully I'll have all my pieces in 2 weeks... :D

#31 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

Yes, tracking is a necessity and I'll just have to struggle without it for a couple weeks, but I WILL still be able to capture some DSO's using my drift technique.

By the way. Congrads on you new scope Jay! The wait is the hard part, isn't it?

Neil

#32 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

Congrats Neil... you're gonna love it...

Here's what I think you'll be able to do/see w/o the platform...

You'll be able to see M42, for example, with the 2.1 second integration in full glorious color... as an example target

But... you are going to find at your focal length (1500mm I believe) that it is going to FLY out of your FOV in about 10-15 seconds... (5-6 integrations)... At least, that is what happened with my XT10i (1200mm f/l)...

So, as long as your monitor is right next to your scope, you can do the bump/nudge thing - while simultaneously focusing... then you can check things out... In my case, it was frustrating cause my monitor was inside the observatory, and the Dob was outside! But I did finally get it focused... then it was "do the" :step: :step: :step: :step: :step: and right on out of the FOV!

remember, it's going to act as around an 8mm EP, also, so finding things will be a bit hit or miss... You can use an EP (I used my Ethos in 1.25" mode) parfocalized once you get it focused, so then swap to EP to find things...

So, useable, sorta... you certainly aren't going to be able to do dimmer things with the longer integrations until your RTP is up and running.

Speaking of which, I just setup my RTP inside in my LR, marked the N/S line on it and put a bracket on my dob groundboard to hang a pendulum at the N/S point - aligning it to the RTP top plate, etc... (got this idea from the article in Astronomy Technology Today by Lionel Catalan, PHD - wherein he shows how to setup an XT10i on an RTP to do AP)...

Anyways, got things all set, and...

my RTP won't actually track :confused:

It WILL move back/forth at 1/2 and at 3x, when I push the buttons per the manual - i marked the motor bearing thingy with a pencil so I can see it turn...

but when I'm NOT moving either 1/2 or 3x (in either direction), and just let it "run" - it simply doesn't move... not a bit in up to an hour... NADA...

So am going to have to call Brian Reed on Monday... I'll probably start another thread on this...

waaaahhhhhh

at least its NOT clear enough skies for me - so am losing nothing at the moment!

Clear enough skies!

#33 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

Wow Dave! NADA you say! Sorry to hear about that. So the slow and fast motion controls work, but the normal speed doesn't track? It sound like there is some sort of gear slippage. Have you takin' the top board off and put it back to see if it was seated right? I think there is something about the capture screw being over tightened, might effect the normal operation of the platform. Either way, keep us updated on what you find, as it will matter to me and others trying the same type of setup.

By the way I did get the focal reducer and 10mm extension ring, that should give me the equivalent 12mm eyepiece ratio for the Mallincam. I've done a lot of planetary imaging with the Dob drift method, and it should work with the Mallincam too. I've attached an example using the drift method on planets.

Neil

Attached Thumbnails

• 2099221-mars5.jpg

#34 Peter Argenziano

Peter Argenziano

Watcher of the Skies

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

I thought I was done spending a couple years ago :roflmao:

Good one... the spending never ends.

#35 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

Well Jack just made my day by e-mailing me that my MallinCam camera is in, and he will be testing it this weekend, and after it passes his quality control it will be on it's way to me. Talk about good news. I will be using it without tracking for a couple weeks until my RTP arrives on the 24th. I guess I should still be able to get some short integration shots through my 12" dob. I've been imaging Mars through it using a toUcam, and have a pretty good feel for how to allow the target drift through the FOV to capture. Of coarse when the RTP arrives, my viewing will become much easier. All I can say right now is, Jack is the man and wonderful person to do business with! Oh...and my 12" scope just became a 40" scope

:jump: :bow: :yay: :bigshock: :thewave: :applause: :jawdrop: :waytogo: :love: :poke: :band: :woot: :gve: :john: :bounce: :photo: :rockon: :banjodance: :tomatodance: :rofl5: :elephdance: :hamsterdance: :whee: :flexible:

As Dave says, Clear enough skies
Neil

IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE, IT'S HERE!!! I just got my Malincam from Fedex and looked everything over, and man that little thing is built like a tank. It's a lot heavier than I thought it would be too. Of coarse as soon as I got up this morning and saw that it was out for delivery, the clouds rolled in, and are supposed to say around for about a week! :bawling: Oh well, at least when it clears up I'll have this little jewel to throw in my scope! :bow:

I love delivery day! Don't you?

Stay tuned.
Neil

#36 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Congrats, Neil!

Don't you especially like that nice, "bespoke looking" signature that Rock puts on the bottom??? :)

Remember, if you have LIGHT clouds, you can make it work! So your skies only need to be...

clear enough skies

#37 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

Congrats, Neil!

Don't you especially like that nice, "bespoke looking" signature that Rock puts on the bottom??? :)

Remember, if you have LIGHT clouds, you can make it work! So your skies only need to be...

clear enough skies

Thanks for pointing out the signature Dave. I didn't even look underneath. Very cool. It screams "handmade"!

Don't worry, I'm checking my CSC and the weather chanel every hour, on the hour to see any signs of a sucker hole, and will pounce on the first one. The scope is collimated and sitting right beside the front door, with the monitor and all my other observing equipment. The only thing I really need is a longer s video cable. I did'nt notice until last night, but the one I have is only 6', but it is gold plated and cost me 40$ 3 years ago. I think I'm going to need at least twice that, and I guess that will mean at least 80$ or more for the same quality cable. It never ends, does it?

Neil

#38 Paul Milligan

Paul Milligan

Apollo

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

Congrats Neil :yay:

Looking forward to your first light report!

Paul M..

#39 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

Me too!!!

#40 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:39 PM

Very interesting stuff...my sources tell me to wait before "pulling the trigger" as some interesting developments will be coming later this year.

;)

#41 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

That's being a TEASE, you know...!!!

I know what Rock's doing, and the good news is our rigs are upgradeable...

I presume you're referring to something ELSE???

clear enough skies

#42 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

This stuff is just getting going....besides, I have an Ethos eyepiece to play with as far as new toys.

;)

Will be "lurking" on this forum with great interest.

#43 Nebhunter

Nebhunter

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

The upgradeable part is the best news I've heard, regardless of what the next camera model will be. I've been hanging back to learn, and figure out my next move, all based around the MCHC.

Does it make sence to spend the thousands on the oil spaced triplet apo? Having finely figured lenses but only 140mm of aperture? Will these fine lenses be of any real benefit when studying the planets or clusters with the MC? I'm trying to imagine Saturn thru that scope with a FR, 2x Powermate, and a MC.

I would like to see more posts once Saturn and Jupiter "arrive" to get a feel what those views will be like.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics