•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EAA Image Gallery

• Please log in to reply
8638 replies to this topic

#2076 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois, USA

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

M27
180 second exposure single image

#2077 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

M31
120 second exposure single image

#2078 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

M76
150 second exposure single image

#2079 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

NGC 6781
120 second exposure single image

#2080 Chris A

Chris A

Vendor Affiliate - Mallincam

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi Navid

I have used a Canon 40D modified, (MCHP, VSS+, MCX & MCX2) and MC Universe all for near real-time viewing and must say that your single unprocessed DSLR images at 3 min or less are the best the I have seen so far. Really great captures esp. at a medium focal ratio of F5 with your C6. You mentioned the Astronomik UHC which is a fantastic filter for cutting down on dreadful light pollution little moon glow issues. I also have used this filter for a few years now and like it a lot but yes it does make one increase their exposures by 25 to 30%. I would if you own one try a bit broader filter like the Lumicon Deep Sky, IDAS P2 or CLS on those moonless nights when you are at your darkest so your exposure can be reduced a bit by almost 1/3rd. Also I noticed that you only did 60 sec on NGC 6888 which is way fainter than M27 which you did for 120 sec? I would apply the most exposure that your DSLR, sky conditions and equipment can handle. This DSLR must be modded to pick up Ha like in NGC 6888 in only 60 sec? What ISO were you using Navid? Again it was very nice to see some nice clean near live unprocessed images in shorter durations.

Cheers,

Chris A
Astrogate

PS sorry for the repeated post Navid

#2081 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hi Chris :)

Thank you so much Chris :) I hope you are doing well. I watch your broadcasts on NSN all the time! I really enjoy your broadcasts and learn from you as much as I can. Fantastic job Chris :) Oh, Chris I am not using a DSLR, I am using an Orion Starshoot G3 Color CCD camera! No IR filter. The camera has a TEC cooler built in and was on during the time I took the images. It reduced the noise a lot. I agree with you Chris, I think they turned out pretty good for single exposures with NO processing at all.
:)

Clear Skies,
Navid

#2082 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

Gavin I see that nothing was posted and no one asked this question but could you please provide the exposure times that were involved for all of your single unprocessed 1 x 1 bin images. Thanks again!

Chris A

Thanks Chris et al for the suggestions.

The exposures were 2 minutes except for M22 which was 1 minute. I did try 4 minute exposures which admittedly were better but I'm not that patient and for me, at least, 2 minutes is about the longest I consider to be near real time.

I will try the Lodestar software and will play with the suggested settings.

I really like the Lodestar although with the obvious restriction of no colour. I'm still tossing up whether to get something like the Lodestar colour or SXVR-H9C.

Regards
Gavin

#2083 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

Very nice capture with beast C14 and super fast speed and LodestarM. Hard to beat this combo. :)

If you are using SX software, try to use the "Progressive mode"

Or turn on the Interlaced Images Smoothing in the "Set default parameters" menu.

Just my 2 cents.

What would be really nice is a faster system!

If the F1.8 FR from Astro-Video Systems worked with the Lodestar, that would be very interesting. :)

#2084 Chris A

Chris A

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hi Navid

Thank you for the kind words and I am much better with my ankle about 80% healed and now over this cold I recently had. Sorry I did not read properly and you stated that this was captured with your Orion Starshoot G3 which seems to be an excellent sensitive not only for CCD imaging but for near real-time observing. I think waiting 2 to 3 min is quite acceptable when the single unprocessed images display like your nice images show. There is not much you can do to lower below 2 min exposures, but perhaps on those moonless nights try using a broader filter like the Lumicon Deep Sky, IDAS P2 or Astronomik CLS filter. These will help when the light pollution or moon glow is not as severe and save about 25 to 30% of your exposure time. You really cannot decrease your focal ratio from F5 to faster on the C6 because of the larger CCD sensor which I did notice a bit of vignetting that is right now quite acceptable. If the vignetting gets worse then this makes it very hard to adjust your background without going too dark and clipping important data when It comes to near real-time viewing as opposed to CCD images where one can use a master flat. You could also improve the signal by using DSSLive for stacking a few on the fly. Where your images cropped a bit since I see slight vignetting but no coma? Keep those wonderful images coming with the nice camera Navid!

Clear skies,

Chris A
Astrogate

#2085 JimT

JimT

Viking 1

• Loc: Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

M76
150 second exposure single image

Really like this one. Well done.

#2086 Chris A

Chris A

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hi Gavin

I had back in 2004 the SXV-H9 mono and their guide camera (Lodestar?)at the time. There was one fellow on NSN using the SXV-H9C and Maxim along with the colour convert plug-in from Starizonia I believe. He showed some amazing DSO's in full colour with that setup but hit the limit when he tried a very faint DSO (It was the Rosette Nebula). The key for his success using this setup was fairly dark skies, so no filters were need which saves a lot on exposure time and he had a very fast scope C14 Hyperstar. His exposure times were under 1 minute and less for some objects.

Clear skies,

Chris A
Astrogate

#2087 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Chris, I responded to your post in the other thread ;) :)

Clear Skies,
Navid

#2088 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Jim! I am glad you like it :)

#2089 Chris A

Chris A

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Okay thank you Navid.

Clear skies,

Chris

#2090 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi Gavin

I had back in 2004 the SXV-H9 mono and their guide camera (Lodestar?)at the time. There was one fellow on NSN using the SXV-H9C and Maxim along with the colour convert plug-in from Starizonia I believe. He showed some amazing DSO's in full colour with that setup but hit the limit when he tried a very faint DSO (It was the Rosette Nebula). The key for his success using this setup was fairly dark skies, so no filters were need which saves a lot on exposure time and he had a very fast scope C14 Hyperstar. His exposure times were under 1 minute and less for some objects.

Clear skies,

Chris A
Astrogate

Hi Chris

That's very interesting. Thanks for that. In my light polluted suburban skies the Rosette is too difficult for me with the Mallincam. Of course, the limited FOV doesn't help. I will try the Lodestar later in the year.

Regards
Gavin

#2091 Chris A

Chris A

• -----

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Wow Gavin you must have really bad light pollution. I have severe LP being in a big city at mag 4 at best and I was able to see the Rosette with my MCX using an Astronomik UHC filter and even better using the Orion 7nm Ha filter. Of course using my 100 mm Canon F2.8 sure did help. I think an 80 mm refractor at F4 to 5 should fit most of the Rosette in the FOV using a Mallincam. Looking forward to what the Lodestar will revile.

Clear skies,

Chris A

#2092 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

Wow Gavin you must have really bad light pollution. I have severe LP being in a big city at mag 4 at best and I was able to see the Rosette with my MCX using an Astronomik UHC filter and even better using the Orion 7nm Ha filter. Of course using my 100 mm Canon F2.8 sure did help. I think an 80 mm refractor at F4 to 5 should fit most of the Rosette in the FOV using a Mallincam. Looking forward to what the Lodestar will revile.

Clear skies,

Chris A

I'm in a small coastal city so maybe it's just my lack of skill. I will try again when the Rosette is available but here's a capture using the Mallincam and a 90mm refractor from a couple of years ago. The integration time was 28 seconds. I use an IDAS filter.

I'm keen to see one of your captures.

Regards
Gavin

Attached Thumbnails

• 6076381-Rosette.jpg

#2093 Chris A

Chris A

• -----

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

Yes The Rosette Nebula is a tough one to get from any location. I captured the Rosette a couple of years ago on NSN using my MCX and 80 mm TMB @ F3.5 using the MFR-5 and a 5 mm spacer which caused some star coma more then my liking. This was stacked live using back then DSSLive and is 3 x 120 sec AGC 3 adjusted in MX Control video settings only. I will try it aging this winter now that I use a MCX2 and Miloslick software.

Chris A

Attached Thumbnails

• 6078181-Rosette Nebula (465 x 354).jpg

#2094 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Yes The Rosette Nebula is a tough one to get from any location. I captured the Rosette a couple of years ago on NSN using my MCX and 80 mm TMB @ F3.5 using the MFR-5 and a 5 mm spacer which caused some star coma more then my liking. This was stacked live using back then DSSLive and is 3 x 120 sec AGC 3 adjusted in MX Control video settings only. I will try it aging this winter now that I use a MCX2 and Miloslick software.

Chris A

That's very impressive Chris! I would be happy with that. :-)

#2095 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Me too!

I have seen Chris do some miraculous thing on NSN as he tests many cameras, software, and methods.
All 'Live' while we are watching, and commenting, and cracking jokes while he is trying to do his broadcast :lol:

#2096 Chris A

Chris A

• -----

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

You Aussie guy's are too much with your fantastic sense of humour which I love. Thanks again Gavin and Ken for the very nice comments. Hey glad to see you back on Ken, we all missed you dearly.

Clear skies,

Chris A
Astrogate

#2097 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:41 AM

Thanks Chris. :)
Mate, I've missed it too. But I can't do much about almost 8 months of cloud :crazy:

I finally got one Broadcast done last week and it has rained since and looks like rain for the next 2 - 3 weeks again! Unbelievable.

But don't worry, the Southern Hemisphere Sky Bus Tour will be on again as soon as there is a clear night, so get ready to buckle up those seat belts again :grin:

P.S. - Hey Gavin, check your PM's mate :grin:

#2098 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

M27
Single 56 second exposure, NO post processing
C6 @ f5
UHC filter
Orion Starshoot G3 Color CCD

#2099 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

NGC 6888
C6 @ f5
UHC filter

#2100 nvastro

nvastro

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

NGC 6992
C6 @ f5
UHC filter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics