•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mallincam on M31

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

While I'm waiting on my mallincam, I can't help but think about what the targets are going to look like through the 8mm/12.5mm AFOV. One of my favorite targets is M31. I usualy use a 32mm eyepiece to fit it all in on my 12" dob. Will I need a wide field scope piggybacked on my dob to get the same type of view. I was thinking about something like the William Optics - ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO to take care of that need.

WILL THIS WORK?

#2 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Dunno why not, Neil... haven't tried my WO66 yet with MCHP though

hmmm... (he says)...

I've got an OUTREACH this week (clouds permitting), perhaps afterwards???

just plug the 8mm 50Degree Plossl numbers into the old FOV calculator...

clear skies

#3 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

I'm thinking that I could use THIS to mount it streight to my OTA, and only add 4 more pounds, but with the planed Watec monitor and base, I might be pushing it? On the other hand, the orion does have the friction pads to compensate for extra weight. I always seem to find something else to ponder, don't I?

Neil

#4 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

I believe it will. I know folks that switch to the popular ED80s quite a bit and the WO smaller systems probably act accordingly. I had an old 80 mm f/6 vernon scope (terrible CA) but believe it or not it worked well with a B&W camera. I have chosen, based on friends 80 experience, my 80 experience, and our needs (piggy-back on a 12.5, stand alone on a tracking mount, and able to be very portable) to go with a SV102ED. Field of view is still very good but it buys a little more aperture for reasonable dollars. The newer slate of 102EDs in the 1000 range (very competitive environment I might add) fulfill all 3 of our requirements and give that critical wider field of view when we need it. Your possible 66 and several systems about that same size perform well, but is it going to be enough light gathering capacity--even though the FOV is just a little better than the 80s and 102s?

Roland

#5 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Well the Orion 80ED will only add 6 pounds to the scope. I guess the real question is how much weight will the skyquest friction system handle? If I could figure that out, I should know what range of options I should have. I'm trying to have the best of both worlds in one setup.

Neil

#6 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

Update: I have found a better way of mounting the WO 66mm to the dob to use with the mallincam for wide field viewing/imaging, so I thought I'd share it with you fine folks. It might be something that you all were already aware of, but just in case...

1. NEW ZenithStar 66SD APO BLUE+ FLAT-2 $448.00
2. Losmandy 90mm (3.5 inch) ID Removable Finder Bracket $120.00

Total: $568.00

Now the question is, like Roland said, will it have enough light gathering power to be effective?

If anyone has used a 66mm, or close, with the Mallincam, please chime in and tell me if this is something I should pursue.

Clear skies
Neil

#7 Paul Milligan

Paul Milligan

Apollo

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:13 AM

Neil

You may also need some extra counterweights on the dob to counterbalance the additional weight. My custom made finderscope is at the top end of the dob, that coupled with the video camera in the eyepiece resulted in me adding a slightly heavier counterweight to the base of my 16inch dob.
The WO66 will weigh double that of my finder.

I have used my GSTAR-EX through my WO 80 Megrez which does provide very nice widefield views. The Mallincam should work very nice with the WO66.

Clear skies
Paul M..

#8 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:23 AM

I thought about adding some counter balance weights too, but the orions have a friction system, which lets you tighten up the play, allowing you to add more weight. The question is how much weight. I thought I would get the scope on first and then find out how much counter balance I need. This is going to look like a rocket ship when I finished. Wait...Will it ever be finished, and if it is, will it take me to the stars like a rocket ship?

#9 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:17 AM

I've have an 80mm Antares RACI finder mounted to the upper cage of my 18" dob. Definitely needs some counterweight on the back end. Someone told me that for every one pound you add up top, you need four pounds at the bottom. I don't know if that's true or not, but counterweights have to be considered. I wouldn't count on the friction adjustment to do all the work. You may find that you have to tighten it so much that it makes it hard to move the scope. IMHO, the friction adjustment is really there to compensate for differences in the weight of eyepieces.

Also, before going through the process of mounting the WO 66(particularly if there's drilling involved), you may want to test the scope to see if if's going to perform to your expectations.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to see a pic.

#10 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

I think we have a winner in my next line up to be my wide field scope to go along with the 12" dob and my mallincam. When I get the mallincam and my RTP paid off I am going to get the TMB TMB-80CF Signature Series 80mm f/6.3 ED triplet apochromatic refractor carbon fiber optical tube . I think this will give me more light gathering power, and a very good field of view (.79 degrees) and with the focal reducer and extender I will have (1.19 degrees). the rig setup on my Dob will require a counter weight system, but it will be a all in one unit to go along with the mallincam. The TMB OTA is carbon and will cool down quicker, plus it's a ED triplet, plus it has a feather touch focuser. How can I loose?

Neil

#11 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

Actually, a carbon fibre tube will take longer to aclimate because carbon fibre is a lousy heat sync. The advantage of the CF tube is its stability during temperature change. Hence the reason that RC scopes use carbon fibre trusses. It keeps its shape better during imaging.

David

#12 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

I usually takes forever, for my 12" dob to cool down anyway, so no big deal there. I guess I should replace that PRO, with the fact that the carbon fiber will be much lighter.

Neil

#13 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

While I'm waiting on my mallincam, I can't help but think about what the targets are going to look like through the 8mm/12.5mm AFOV. One of my favorite targets is M31. I usualy use a 32mm eyepiece to fit it all in on my 12" dob. Will I need a wide field scope piggybacked on my dob to get the same type of view. I was thinking about something like the William Optics - ZenithStar 66 SD Doublet APO to take care of that need.

WILL THIS WORK?

I don't know about the 66 but I use a Celestron 102mm F/5 as my finderscope and on wide field objects it does pretty good.
Here are a couple of shots with the 102mm and the Mallincam with the MFR-3 and 15mm of spacers.
M-31 I wished I had moved M31 a little down and to the right because the glow in the upper left I believe is not Amp glow but in fact M-110

Greg

Attached Thumbnails

• 2075621-cropped m31.jpg

#14 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

M81 & M82 from my Light polluted driveway.
Greg

Attached Thumbnails

• 2075630-cropped m81 m82.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics