•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LCD monitors used outdoors....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

Are they affected by the cold?
Are they affected by dew?
In the instructions for my LCD TV they warn you about
images "burning in" from video games displaying the same image for long periods. Will this be a problem with all the black background?

I picture my NS11 wth a small monitor mounted where the finder scope (that I never use) is mounted. Kinda like the monitor screen on a video camera. Maybe a new market for heater straps and brackets? :question:

I am really warming up to this side of the hobby. I like the idea of not having to take my glasses off and on.

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:20 PM

Patrick,

IMHO,
> Are they affected by the cold?
Yes. Cold ambient temperature affect the response time (crystal does freeze :( ). But the backlight unit and other electronics may heat up to raise the temperture sufficiently except LCD's front surface.

> Are they affected by dew?
Yes. if humidity leaks into the LCD glass inside from the sealing in between two glasses causing permanent damage. If the device is weather-proof/fully sealed, then that's most likely not a problem.

> images "burning in" from video games displaying the same image for long periods. Will this be a problem with all the black background?

No. Black is the nature state of the LCD pixels.

>Maybe a new market for heater straps and brackets?

I think weather seal and another glass window in front of the actual LCD glass is more important.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

I've found a monitor with a minimum operating temp of 10F. It's the LCD-703HD, made by ToteVision. I had it out in 20F weather last weekend for the monthly public night at Chamberlin Observatory here in Denver, and it worked fine. It mounts nicely on my Losmandy rail with a standard camera (1/4 x 20) thread mount. Very nice picture as well. I received a lot of positive comments, despite the relatively poor seeing and clouds. Here's a pic of the camera and monitor setup on my NexStar 11GPS.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2058960-IMG_2796a.jpg

#4 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

That is an excellent picture and reference because it IS hard to find an LCD monitor where the manufacturer says it is good for low temps. I have checked many monitors and most are not capable of low temps. For this reason I really recommend a B&W CRT on hand (less than $100 in the security field for a high resolution type) to use daisy-chained or as a stand alone near the scope. The LCD or projector can be put in a more protected place. There are instances where an LCD can survive harsh conditions; there are many more where they become paperweights. Most of them are not made for steep temperature gradients, low temps, or moisture conditions. Roland

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

I only have my laptop as a monitor. I had it exposed last night for about 3 hours running on batteries under a minus 5° Celsius sky without any problems at all. I guess it produces enough heat to refrain from freezing. When conditions are foggy, I keep it in an flipped open briefcase to protect it against humidity.

#6 garyc11

garyc11

Gemini

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:16 PM

rshassell,can you use that set up to collimate the scope? it seems like it would work well.

#7 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

I haven't tried to do that. I suppose turning the monitor around to watch it while adjusting the screws would speed up the process. It's my understanding that using a higher power eyepiece results in the most accurate collimation, so I'm not sure whether using the camera would give any advantage in that regard.

#8 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

While not a recent picture I also use a small monitor from time. This is a "no name" monitor that I purchased from the web a few years ago. I originally used it connected to my DSLR to help with focusing. It works great and I've never had any issue because of the cold with it.

Posted Image

#9 Canadian

Canadian

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

Just found a brochure here that gives an operating temperature of -4F to 140F.

#10 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:14 AM

Just found a brochure here that gives an operating temperature of -4F to 140F.

Thanks, that is indeed what the manual states. The spec sheet only claims 10F , so it's re-assuring to know that it could well be even lower. :)

Now, if only my N11's hand controller LCD display worked as well at low temps...

#11 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

My monitor choice is the Marshall V-LCD4-Pro. This 4" monitor has a metal case, and glass screen. A Professional level monitor, it has been used in low temps, and left out all night heavyly dewed with no problems. Mostly used for focusing with a DSLR, manual video guiding, or display of the lunar landscape using a video EP or camera.

http://www.barrie-ta.../d70finder.html

Ciao....Barry

#12 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

My monitor choice is the Marshall V-LCD4-Pro. This 4" monitor has a metal case, and glass screen. A Professional level monitor, it has been used in low temps, and left out all night heavyly dewed with no problems.

That is great news Barry, I have already ordered the same monitor for the same uses. It should be here next week.

I also ordered the hood. For $15 it looked like a good idea.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics