•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Almost voted off the island!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#26 Peter Argenziano

Peter Argenziano

Watcher of the Skies

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Tom, no worries mate. I'll keep reading this forum no matter where it's located. :lol:

#27 Peter Argenziano

Peter Argenziano

Watcher of the Skies

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

I know it's a very abused quote but I think it applies here ... You can call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner!

Ho ho ho

Or, as I believe Oscar Wilde said: "There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

#28 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

How about we drop THIS topic and get back to the one the forum is ABOUT?

#29 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:08 PM

Tom, I truly appreciate all that you've done (along with the other A's and M's to get us this forum.

I was also very surprised at the vehemence of some - who haven't owned/used a Mallincam - in claiming it "isn't visual", or other such feedback...

I was very skeptical at first - heck, I first started THINKING about MCHP back last February (just re-found my old bookmarks to some of those hreads!), and kept thinking - yeah, but it won't seem REAL...

I totally concur on NOT separating by make/model, and I also agree (conceptually - since I freely admit I have NO experience) that the Collins I3 belongs in the same realm/dimension - for now anyways!

If we codify the MAIN reasons and benefits that one would buy a StellaCam or MallinCam (or other equivalents), I would suggest they include (in my proposed priority order)

1) ability to penetrate most forms of light pollution - hence opening up a whole new realm of visual opportunities which otherwise would be missed. You can now view under situations simply not feasible prior to this technology... Every clear night, or smallest of suckerholes, are now available for pleasurable viewing!

2) ability to share the viewing experience with multiple people - in real time; parallel instead of serial. This is a huge boon for outreach amongst the "unskied masses!"...

3) ability to see far deeper (magnitude) than otherwise possible with any gear that is remotely: portable, affordable, usable in non SQM 21.9 skies! The easiest of EQ mounted 80's or 100mm's are now functionally equivalent to 20" scopes or bigger! (no not in resolution, per se, but in ability to SEE things!)...

4) "Imaging" - yes, you CAN image with these devices, but they are certainly NOT designed for that to be their primary use case... Way, way down the list is "capturing the images" via any mechanical mechanism. I can't speak for all, but I'm sure I speak for many, when I note that the reason that I took pictures of the screen were to try and capture how captivating the experience was. I already have imaging gear (STV, ST237, DSI Pro, DSLR), that will, someday, and with much more learning curve, yield much better details and clarity... But it still won't go as deep, especially under suburban, and semi-rural LP!

So, for all these reasons, I believe these devices ARE in fact primarily VISUAL in nature. And, as with many things, whilst they CAN be used for other purposes, they are primarily designed to "Assist the Visual experience"...

Again, I sincerely thank all the A's and M's for this opportunity for us to build a growing community of experience and enthusiasm around these devices, and look forward to what I believe will be our inevitable "promotion" above things like Gardening, Pets, etc... :lol:

Because of this MCHP, my new sign-off will now be:

Clear enough skies!

#30 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

It might make more sense to be more generalized about what we call the actual forum. I was thinking something like "visually assisted sidewalk astronomy" It's just that, if we get too specific about what we call it, in the near future the technology, that's sure to come, will make things even more complicated.

Neil

#31 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

Have we vented enough yet?

#32 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:05 PM

Randy... I was not venting at all. I was just trying to be pro-active and suggest things that might help. I'm tickled just to be here with you fine folks.

Neil

#33 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

:splenectomy graemlin:

Nicely timed, sir! :bow:

Clear enough skies

#34 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

Since you're looking at a video screen at some point in the process, how about calling it Video Observing?

I'm tickled to be here with you fine folks as well. Hee-hee-hee!

#35 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

[quote My first thought was equipment too. Then it was pointed out to me that it might be a better fit under imaging - but the Collins is the exception to that. [/quote]

Hi Tom...

Actually, the I3 is an imaging device too (just to complicate your decision further)! :grin:

You're not looking at the actual object, but an electronic projection of the object on a small "phosphor screen" that is inside the eyepiece barrel!

I think that, right now, some feelings are a little bit hurt. There are those who feel we're being declared heretics and shunted off out of sight so that we don't offend the righteous true visual observer .
:bawling:

You're certainly right that this debate is similar to the DSC and GOTO debates of past years.
But today I see very few large scopes (none?) that do not have DSC's, if not GOTO as well.

I hang with some pretty hard-core visual observers and well-known traditional imagers and NONE have failed to be awed by the Mallincam Color images.

I think what is most frustrating is that there is such a
hue-and-cry from traditionalists who just don't know what they're talking about. And I don't mean that in a harsh way... just that I doubt that they have actually used one of these devices, yet are declaiming opinions based on ignorance.

Frankly, what business is it of theirs if we are enthusiastic for this new technology?
No one is trying to force it on them.
They don't even have to read the posts (no matter WHERE they are located on the forum) and they certainly don't have to agree!

Thanks for taking the time to hear from us and for making this forum available.

Mike Harvey

#36 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:25 PM

Can we PLEASE let this go?

We have the forum, where it appears is unimportant.

PLEASE?

#37 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

There's always going to be debates because everyone has opinions. Nobody ever thinks they are of the wrong opinion, so we all are just out there telling each other the right way it should be done.

#38 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

<--- Shutting up.

#39 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:47 PM

Don't make Randy pull the car over :4

#40 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:02 AM

Thanks Karen.

C'mon folks this thread is SO off topic of the main topic.

I understand and am sympathetic to the concerns, but let's move on to the main topic and let this drop...

Thanks!

#41 TheSheriff

TheSheriff

Mariner 2

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:27 AM

Sorry Randy, perhaps my browser is not working correctly, but it appeared to me that all the above posts were dead on topic. Perhaps the topic itself should have been deleted if it offends other users of the forum.

I find this new technology fascinating. I think stacked video image, heck, anything this technology can do should be under the same heading. Saves us users a ton of time searching the board for viable info. I hope that's what this forum is about...the users.

Merry Christmas

#42 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

The TOPIC is not ON Topic.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics