•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Orion Apo Cheap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:31 AM

O.k. , I just bought a TeleVue 85 for $2000 + and saw Orion is selling an 80mm apo for around $400. Has anyone tried or seen it? :foreheadslap:

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 05 September 2003 - 08:51 AM

Don't panic. I've seen some very encouraging reports on it (and I have an earlier version) but it won't be in the same class as the TV.

It looks like a lot of telescope for the money. Mine does a great job and has less chromatic aberration than the usual run of fast 80mm refractors. Calling it an APO is a bit of a stretch, though.

#3 Steve Landry

Steve Landry

Viking 1

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:44 PM

I've got one. Bottom line. Optics are great, focuser is better than Synta standard fare. Build quality on OTA is not up to par with TV. Would I buy it again? In a heartbeat.

Steve

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:39 AM

Steve,you didn't comment [or review] on what you thought of the optics....really an apo???..how about an update after you use it!!!!!!

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2003 - 04:27 PM

Steve, I would like to know how it performs as well. I also noticed you seem to have an Orion Mak (at least it looks like one in your photo). I have been thinking of buying one but I am not sure how it would compare to my TV 85mm. Any thoughts?

#6 Steve Landry

Steve Landry

Viking 1

Posted 09 September 2003 - 07:21 PM

I had an Orion Mak, the Apex 127. I recently sold it. It was a great little scope. It did take awhile to cool down, but it was very portable. I think the little maks are great starter scopes with one caveot. The FOV is fairly narrow and that presents an extra challenge for those learning the skies. My opinion only of course.

As far as the Orion 80-ED goes, I'm still composing the review. I wrote one after the 1st two nights of viewing, but thought it would be better to give a little more balanced opinion and letting my new-scope-gushiness subside a bit.

In a nutshell, the optics perform great. As to whether it's a true "APO" or not, I'm a bit leery, mainly because I've NEVER owned an "APO" refractor. I personally don't see any false color, but to be brutally honest, my only comparisons are with fast FR Achros, so my perspective is probably a bit skewed. The focuser and focus knobs are better by a long shot, but the overall build quality is not high-end.

The lens cell, when I removed it, had some grease and what looked like metal shavings inside the threads. I wound up having to carefully clean it where it screws on to the OTA housing. Even then, I had to use more force than I was comfortable with to get it back on. I don't think mine was machined to very tight tolerance.

I was hoping to get a few more nights observation before I turned in a review, but it looks like the weather isn't cooperating, so I'll do my final hack and turn it in.

Comparing a 127 Mak with an 85 Apo, well, I'd think you'd appreciate the extra light grasp, but I don't think it will give you the same contrasty views of the refractor. If you're thinking of getting a bigger scope, I'd go a lot bigger than that.

Cheers,
Steve

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2003 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Steve. I owned a Pronto 7 years ago. It was my first telescope so I never really knew how it compared to other telescopes. Shortly after I bought it I started a company and had kids and all my free time dissappeared so I sold it. With the approach of Mars I decided to get another telescope. I bought an Orion Astroview 100mm but returned it because it didn't seem as well built as I remembered the Pronto was. The view also didn't seem any better to my memory so I bought the Televue 85. I like the portability of a smaller telescope but I do get frustrated when I see all the beautiful photos people are posting. I think I have aperature envy but I can't spend any more money on this hobby - the Apex 127 seemed like more aperature might show more detail on planets than my 85.

#8 Steve Landry

Steve Landry

Viking 1

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:01 PM

I know what you mean about aperture fever. I finally gave in and got a 9.25 SCT. Eventually the 80 will wind up as a piggy back on there, but for now I really enjoy just throwing it on a photo tripod and taking quick looks.

I've got an Astroview 100 also. I bought it last year and it's a good performer, as long as you don't push the power too much. I don't think the build quality will ever approach that of a TV, but on the cheap, they're a pretty good alternative.

Since this isn't your 1st scope, and you don't want to put out a whole lot of money, have you considered the Orion xt8 Dob? I've never owned or looked through one, but they're cheap, and from what i hear pretty good products. I think they go for about 450-500 bucks. You could satisfy some of that aperture fever on the Cheap!

Cheers!
Steve

#9 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 09 September 2003 - 11:58 PM

sdco;

Oldfield in Hong Kong has done some very nice photos with his Ranger; your 85 should knock it's socks off. However; Oldfield has an 8" SCT and his best work is done with that. I think you have the tools to come close - when the seeing is very good.

Neme in Brazil is doing some very nice work - all things considered. I think your kit should easily equal his work; and in theory exceed it a bit.

From what I read on the TeleVue group on Yahoo the TV85 is one of the few perfect telescopes. Even with the added salt that is high praise indeed. But I'm in no hurry to sell my Pronto!

Ron

#10 Darren

Darren

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:39 PM

Since this isn't your 1st scope, and you don't want to put out a whole lot of money, have you considered the Orion xt8 Dob? I've never owned or looked through one, but they're cheap, and from what i hear pretty good products. I think they go for about 450-500 bucks. You could satisfy some of that aperture fever on the Cheap!

My feelings exactly, Steve. If I had my druthers, I'd probably go for an 8" Dob. You'll find a great deal on an 8" dob here, if there's still any left. I haven't actually used this scope myself, so I can't vouch for it; but I have heard that it performs very well. Hardin Optical uses Guan Sheng mirrors instead of Synta. I have heard on various forums and lists that Guan Sheng mirrors compare very well with Syntas.

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:02 PM

Ron, I have read most of Oldfields website! I have a similar goal to him in that I am trying to keep everything portable. Right now my 85, tripod and Manfroto 410 head all fit into a backpack. My yard is filled with trees so I have to go out to a park or sneak onto a local golf course. The dob might slow me down as I hop over the fence. :lol:

#12 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:11 AM

SDCO, I owned and sold the orion mac you speak of.....it seens to be the old addage that you get what you pay for {aka:no free lunch}. it was very well made and really worth the money, but to me the optics were nothing great. Should you know someone with a meade 125ext then make a comparison before you decide to purchase.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics