•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stand for my monitor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:36 PM

It always seems like I can think of something that could make my rig a little better. I was day dreaming about equipment that I've now bought, but have yet to recieve, and I started thinking about how I would like the Speco 9" monitor, to be placed while at the focuser. It will not only be for focusing but also for group viewing. I was thinking maybe a sturdy adjustable home speaker stand might do the trick. I would want it to be some thing that would swivel, and be viewed from different hights. As this purchase will come in a pair of stands, it would make sence to go in with someone with the same need and split the cost. I might have also over looked an obvious simple solution as well, so tell me what you think.

Neil

#2 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

This looks interesting! It would have to be modified to attach firmly to the base of the Speco, but it has all the other specs that I'm looking for except it would be nice if the base was wider and the hight went up to 5' instead of almost 4'. It would also be nice if the top plate tilted. It does have a self contained cable system which is apealing and that I love from being a musician. To me $40 is well worth being able to view at many different positions.

Still open for suggestions though.

Ho Ho Ho!
Neil

#3 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

Hey Neil, instead of spending money on something not perfect... what about building something (out of wood) that could attach modularly to your Dob base... and then raise/lower (via a metal slip pipe with clamping arrangemenet maybe?), and swivel?

I'll do some poking around, but this might be a good way to do, more flexible, and cheaper, than yet another expensive metal (heavy?) thingy mabob...

I think the latest Harrington version of Starware (4th edition) may have something in it? (going from memory here, since it's out in the WSO right now!)...

clear skies

#4 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

I have found and use a very ideal solution for me; you can get it at an office store but cheaper at a salvage place or a place that gets old school stuff: A cart with wheels and two shelves and a cord that goes to a either a receptacle or a strip. An old beat up one works fine. I simply put the monitor on top and use the strip to attach a small strip that will handle the MallinCAM AC/DC power supply, the monitor, and what ever else you need. It rolls...so leave it setup and pull it to your scope location...connect to an extension cord...and your off. If it has a shelf under the top shelf, then use it to store stuff. A used microwave stand does just as well...just attach or screw a small elecrical strip to it.

Roland

#5 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure about attaching anything on my base because it will be on the EQ platform and might have some ballence issues. I am good at wood working though, so if you have a design in mind, please share it with me.

Neil

#6 skyguy88

skyguy88

Ranger 4

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hi Neil,
My solution is much more pedestrian. After several years of video observing, first with a mintron (SAC) and a year with a Mallincam Hyper Color, all running on an 8inch SCT, I've settled on a 2 x 4 foot folding table. It's a convenient platform for my monitor which I can easily rotate from focusing position facing the scope to observing position with the monitor pointing away from the scope to limit self-polution and leaves me lots of space for a reoording clipboard, a laptop for recording images, and for testing various monitors. I can run three monitors side by side. And if I accidently bump the table nothing happens.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics