•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cardbus mistake!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

I can't seem to have anything go my way today! I ended up getting my AVerTV Cardbus today, only to find out that my laptop dosen't have a cardbus slot :bawling:. It looked like a cardbus slot, but it turns out to be a express slot. I am told that this type of slot is actually faster than the cardbus. Is this true? Either way, amazon has a very good return policy and is even paying for return shipping. Just another example of good costomer service getting my business. The only real bad news, since there is no problem in returning this product is, the right product is about $45 more. I ended up getting the AVerTV Hybrid ExpressCard (HC80) that is compatable for my computer. Anyway, I thought this might be relevant to someone else.

Neil

HERE ARE THE SPECS of the express card

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

Neil,

If your plan is to get NTSC baseband video into PC with maximum quality (e.g., better resolution) possible, then minimum compression is suggested. Unfortunately, this is not the recent "Multimedia PC" trend which is to compress (MPEG-2 or MPEG-4) as much as possible to store as more hours.
I don't know the card you have can provide minimum (and lossy) compression, e.g., AVI format.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Neil,

If your plan is to get NTSC baseband video into PC with maximum quality (e.g., better resolution) possible, then minimum compression is suggested. Unfortunately, this is not the recent "Multimedia PC" trend which is to compress (MPEG-2 or MPEG-4) as much as possible to store more hours.
I don't know the card you have can provide minimum compression.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Hey buddy. To tell you the truth, I really don't have a plan except for the ability to capture using s-video. It's obvious that you have this type of technology nailed down compared to most. Have you looked at the specs of the express card? Teach me oh gifted one!

Neil

#4 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

I did find THIS , which to me suggests that there is on option to NOT compress for the AVI file??? Is this right?

Neil

#5 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

Neil,

I don't use my AverTV Cardbus to store video. I do use its automated snapshot feature to save a series of timed BMPs for later stacking and processing.

I do my video recording using a DVD recorder set to the 1 hour mode.

Jack

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:08 AM

Neil,

You are right on!
Avoid MPEG compression as much as possible.
The best case is after install, AMcap (and others) can select the device with highest resolution/frame rate but not MPEG stuff.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:43 AM

Neil,

Can you try AMCap, QCFocus, or HandyAVI program to see if your device is detected as AVI capture device, higher resolution is nice, 320*240 is minimum spec. (Video Capture Pin, when DirectShow is used) and/or it can be used as TWAIN capture device at 640*480 resolution?
(No need to have a video feed.)

It's quite funny, in this field, you may want as little compression as possible; while on the regular day-to-day video viewing, you may want to have some hardware-assisted MPEG compression functions built-in to the device such that USB high-speed, high CPU usage, and huge harddisk space utilization is not needed.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#8 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

Neil,

Can you try AMCap, QCFocus, or HandyAVI program to see if your device is detected as AVI capture device, higher resolution is nice, 320*240 is minimum spec. (Video Capture Pin, when DirectShow is used) and/or it can be used as TWAIN capture device at 640*480 resolution?
(No need to have a video feed.)

It's quite funny, in this field, you may want as little compression as possible; while on the regular day-to-day video viewing, you may want to have some hardware-assisted MPEG compression functions built-in to the device such that USB high-speed, high CPU usage, and huge harddisk space utilization is not needed.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

I have not tried any of the programs you mentioned, but I have received the express card, and feel as if it might have the answers you asked in the manual. First off lets start with if it's a AVI capture device or not. The specs say that it's video formats are MPEG-1, SVCD, WAV, MPEG-2, DVD, WMV, VCD, AVI, WMA, and MP4-H.264. Then it says that the video size can be adjusted up to 720x576 at 8000 Kbps. I'll just attach the PDF so you can see for your self. You will get a whole lot more out of it than me, and maybe you can stream line how I, and others use this type of device.

Clear skies
Neil

Attached Files

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:55 AM

Neil,

These products' spec. usually mix the device's native capability with the bundled software capability. I've checked the manual from these type of cards, they don't drill down to the details. The only way to know more is to use some basic programs as I mentioned earlier to see what type of data format the card is capable of sending out, natively.
In astro or in still image capture, maximum resolution/quality is desirable. Getting the data as "close to the raw as possible" would be nice.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#10 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:24 AM

css_helo, I don't have any of those devices on my lap top, but I do have Virtual Dub, and K3CCD 3 that I should be able to capture something and try and open it up in one of those programs, and see if it's AVI, right?

Neil

#11 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:13 PM

Neil,

I think Virtual Dub should recognize the device.
Then find a menu option called "Video Capture pin".
From that option's window, find "Stream Format"
check what options are available in
"color space/compression" (e.g., YUY2)
and "output size" (e.g., 320*240).

attachment: 320*240 capture thru a simple USB video capture device.
Note: video is streaming through this USB device.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Attached Thumbnails

• 2081261-HauppaugeWinTVUSB_Pro_Live.gif

#12 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

Captured one "still" image, using TWAIN (640*480).
(Hauppauge device)
Software used: IrfanView

Attached Thumbnails

• 2081317-Hauppauge_TWAIN.jpg

#13 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:40 PM

What are these captures of? Is it something you can use to guage quality?

#14 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:12 PM

Matthew,

Yes, these are resolution test (for TVL-horizontal).
The source is a professional test pattern generator and the pattern name is "multi-burst".

From Left to Right (skip the first)

0.5 MHz, 1 MHz, 2MHz, 3 MHz, 3.58 MHz, and 4.2 MHz
(use 80 TVL per MHz formula, we have:)

40, 80, 160, 240, 280, and 330 TVL.

I know that's not an easy way (equipment) nor precise enough, especially for even higher resolution. At this point, I am experimenting using a "special VGA card with TV out" to check if it can do a better job. Right now, I am using a scaled (but not done too well) EIA1956 test chart from my PC to drive a video monitor. The attached picture is a picture taken from a professional (supposed to be 600 TVL) CRT studio monitor.
I am not happy with the result. I might use a synthetic pattern done by "drawing program" as the graphics source.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Attached Thumbnails

• 2082362-Sony_PVM_VGA_TVout_reso.jpg

#15 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 29 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

Full screen

Attached Thumbnails

• 2082372-IMG_1508_small.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics