•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does Slooh qualify?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

Where does viewing like Slooh come in, in the grand scheme of astronomical observing? Is it considered "Electronically Assisted" or would it be considered "Remote Observing" ?

I just got a Slooh gift card for Xmas and I am interested in checking it out. :)

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#2 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

I would call Slooh "remote observing". For me if you are not physically at the scope (reach out and touch it close) it is remote observing. A video monitor near the scope again to me would be "Electronically Assisted".

#3 bkushner

bkushner

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

I've been a Slooh member for a year. Although for me the pleasure in Astronomy is hands on under the stars, it's fund to click on Slooh and observer to a certain extent right from your computer.

Brian

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hmm...

Does "remote" mean at least need to be few miles away?
If outside is too hot/cold/mosquito-land, setup the GOTO scope and video gear then retreat back to the living room to observe be counted as "remote" :) :)?

If I also made the same video shared to my friends using Internet video/multimedia conferencing technology, like a simulcast, now is it "remote" :) :) :)?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:40 AM

To me remote is when real-time physical access and line of site to the scope is not possible. That could mean 10 feet or 1000 miles. So inside the house could qualify as "Remote".

If I sit outside my obs and operate my scope, I can't see it because its view is blocked by the obs walls, I would define that also as remote.

#6 skyguy88

skyguy88

Ranger 4

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:18 AM

Hmm...

Does "remote" mean at least need to be few miles away?
If outside is too hot/cold/mosquito-land, setup the GOTO scope and video gear then retreat back to the living room to observe be counted as "remote" :) :)?

If I also made the same video shared to my friends using Internet video/multimedia conferencing technology, like a simulcast, now is it "remote" :) :) :)?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

I think that we have a relativistic question here. Are the distant observers moving with respect to the fixed observer? If so, they should be warned that they may be foreshortened. :jump:

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics