•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GSTAR-EX & EXC CCD camera user reports please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 snogum

snogum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

Dear All, Looking at the GSTAR-EX & EXC CCD camera.

I would like to hear feedback about use, success and would you buy one again.

Clear Skies
Duncan

#2 Paul Milligan

Paul Milligan

Apollo

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Duncan

I have used the GSTAR-EX for about 6 months or so now. I use it for both observing deep space, relaying the output to a MP4 recorder screen. I also capture video and create images from the stacked video frames.

The GSTAR-EX is basically a rebadged Mintron MTV with a few minor differences. It uses the Sony ICX429ALL Type 1/2 8mm diagonal CCD Chip. The device is very light sensitive (0.0001 Lux) with a maximum capture resolution of 768 x 576.

I would highly recommend the GSTAR-EX and believe it is great value for money. The only restriction is the frame integration is limited to 2.56 seconds.

Take a look on my website www.eyetotheuniverse.com (My Website) and there is plenty of information, images, videos etc that shows what it can achieve.

Hope this helps..
All the best & clear skies
(happy festivities)
Paul M..

#3 snogum

snogum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

Dear Paul

Thanks so very much for the review of the GSTAR-EX.
I read about it being close to the Mintron CCD.

Often have trouble with no local dealers in Australia, but luckily there seems to be one for the GSTAR line.

How easy is the CCD to use for near real time viewing? I was thinking of having a small monitor setup, for backyard work and public viewings as well.

Clear Skies

#4 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

I have had my GStar-EX for a while. I have used it a few times connected to the scope and it gives good views. But I purchased mine for use as a camera to monitor my system. I believe them to be a good value.

#5 Paul Milligan

Paul Milligan

Apollo

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:34 AM

Duncan

I actually purchased my GSTAR-EX from Australia as at the time there was no UK reseller. I recommend My Astro Shop - Australia Steve Massey is really helpful and will answer absolutely any queries you have.

I do use the GSTAR-EX for relaying the image (2.6 second integrated image) to a screen. Friends and family are always stunned at the on screen image. Because the GSTAR-EX is so sensitive the detail that is revealed is awesome. It does take up to 2 minutes for the continued integrated image to reveal its full detail, but once it does its then you really appreciate this technology.

Hope this helps!
Clear skies
Paul M..

#6 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

My Astro Shop also ships to the US and faster than some us based vendors I might add.

#7 snogum

snogum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

Im pretty much sold on the GSTAR already, and that the dealer is only 2 states away is cool.(thats about 2000km in Australia)

I will email a serious enquiery and risk the Cloud Gods anger

#8 Paul Milligan

Paul Milligan

Apollo

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

Duncan

:jump:

You won't regret the GSTAR-EX purchase!

Paul M

#9 snogum

snogum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

I was thinking of going with the GSTAR-EXC, thats the one with the hand control, so you do not need to push the little buttons on the back of the camera so much.

And the filter set just incase I gets the urge to image, though I am not going to get a wedge.

#10 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:28 PM

I was thinking of going with the GSTAR-EXC, thats the one with the hand control, so you do not need to push the little buttons on the back of the camera so much.

I highly recommend getting the control cable with that camera. During my imaging outings at home I can view multiple brightness objects and its nice to "remotely" change the settings on the camera to suite the object viewed...without getting off the couch. lol

#11 snogum

snogum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

Dear Paul & all
Thanks again for the extra info.

Anyone have an alternate Email addy for Astro Shop? I have been trying their contact page and the emails are bouncing. I believe the address thats bouncing is info@myastroshop.com.au

#12 Paul Milligan

Paul Milligan

Apollo

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:31 AM

Duncan

There is an online query page My Astro Shop Queries Page

You can also phone the query lines on Australia Interstate Number (02) 9905 0757.

Hope this helps
Paul M..

#13 snogum

snogum

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

Thanks Paul but the online shop queries page just leads back to that same email address.

I popped the address into an ordinary email rather than through the query page and it seems to have gone this time, lets hope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics