•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focal reducers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 skyguy88

skyguy88

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:13 AM

One of the most important elements in my system (C8, 0.3 focal reducer, Mallincam Color Hyper) is a 0.3 focal reducer that never leaves the camera. I gather that they come in several forms and at a wide range of prices. I'ld like to hear what others use.
I bought my FR from SAC along with a mintron camera several years ago. It includes a 0.5 reducer and a spacer tube to bring the combination to 0.3. The assembly screws into the filter threads on the camera nosepiece. I believe that the .5 reducer came from Mogg in Australia and SAC made the extender. I've used it with the mintron, the Mallincam and (I think), A DSI. The original cost was in the $60 range. Mogg appears to sell a similar product now (0.6/0.3) for about $80.
The reducer works wonders at concentrating light, making many objects fit into the FOV and making the job of the go-to much easier.
I haven't tested the FR, I've just used it so I can't vouch for it's optical quality. For my purpose, it works just fine. And it is appreciably less expensive than many alternatives.

Bill McDonald

#2 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have the MallinCam FR, which I bought with the camera. It works well enough. I use it for larger objects, but often go without it for smaller objects such as planetary nebulas. However, I got tired of removing and replacing it as I looked at different objects. Recently I purchased a Denkmeier Power Switch, to make switching between different magnifications more convenient.

#3 midway199

midway199

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

For my StellaCam 3 and NexStar11 combo, I got Meade's f/3.3 CCD focal reducer. It comes with extension tubes for vary the focal length for CCD cameras. I didn't know whether or not I'd need the extensions ahead of time, and figuring I'll be tinkering with CCD's at some point, I didn't mind having them as options. Turns out, I didn't need the extensions and stars come to focus just as nicely with the f/3.3 focal reducer on my SCT as they do with my Newtonians.

#4 Bob S.

Bob S.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:34 PM

I have the MallinCam FR, which I bought with the camera. It works well enough. I use it for larger objects, but often go without it for smaller objects such as planetary nebulas. However, I got tired of removing and replacing it as I looked at different objects. Recently I purchased a Denkmeier Power Switch, to make switching between different magnifications more convenient.

You need to tell us how you attached the powerswitch? A picture would also be VERY helpful. Thanks, Bob

#5 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

You need to tell us how you attached the powerswitch? A picture would also be VERY helpful. Thanks, Bob

It mounts to the visual back like any other 2" diagonal. The slide bar barely clears the feathertouch focuser knob, which I hadn't thought about beforehand. :o
Posted Image

#6 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

Very Clean Set Up...I LIKE It...I Want It... I Gotta Stop Spending Money...
Greg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics