•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

For Cloudbound Charles...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2003 - 10:59 PM

9/5/2003

Phase: 55.6%
Illumination: 78%
Lunation: 10 days

TV102 and Canon D60 at prime focus, ISO 200, 1/125 second.

True Color

Image cropped and unsharp mask applied (amount 99%, radius .9 pixels, levels 0)

(Check out the full image by clicking on the attachment, then make sure your browser isn't automagically reducing it by holding the cursor over the lower right - if an icon pops up, click on it to view the real size.)

Tom T.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9248-U Tom.jpg

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 05 September 2003 - 11:10 PM

:jawdrop:

#3 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2003 - 11:18 PM

I know I should have compressed it a bit more, but I just couldn't bring myself too...

:shrug:

T

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 September 2003 - 05:18 AM

Tom,

Excellent job!

I take that's not grayscale either, and if it's not a stack job then that makes it incredible.

:waytogo:

#5 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:38 AM

Hey Neme,

Thanks!

It's not greyscale, and it's not a stack job. It's a single true color image - the colors are exactly how it came out of the camera.

When are you going to get some images posted guy? Lets see some stuff!

Tom T.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 September 2003 - 06:46 AM

When are you going to get some images posted guy? Lets see some stuff!

Maybe tonight, weather allowing. It has been kind of difficult for me to do it during the week. This thing about having to work in order to survive is really a drag. There should be a law against that!

Anyway, don't expect much from my scope. I think I'm gonna rename it the "Chromonator". :bawling:

Again, great picture you have there. Charles will have to work extra hard now :roflmao:.

#7 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 06 September 2003 - 07:07 PM

If it clears up here I will compete, but it is not looking good. The only good sign is the wind is picking up and it is from the NW, a good sign. I need to get Bertha out again before I forget how to use her.

I forgot to mention that is a beautiful shot Tom!:waytogo:
Charles :)

#8 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2003 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Charles. I'm really hoping you had a chance to get out last night. I want to see what the big tak can do.

What, exactly, is Bertha? I came late to the party, and I don't know all the guests. <g> (Incidentally, my home PC is named Bertha on the network... )

Tom T.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:49 AM

Tom,

This is the what I could get last night.

The clouds were rolling in and I had to cut it short.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9447-moonlarge.jpg

#10 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:50 AM

Post deleted by Charles

#11 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 07 September 2003 - 12:01 PM

Not to mention that he rolled it over. But maybe they see things different in Brazil. I think this picture is evidence that Neme is using better equiment than he is letting on.

Charles; I was looking at some of the peaks, especially near the south pole: There appears to be some artifacts - bright spots - that I associate with over processing. In this case ever so little. Is that true?

Did Neme get the target for this week? :lol:

Today was supposed to be dry and it's rained already. Natures way of keeping the weatherman in his place.

#12 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 12:49 PM

Remember they are up-side down, down-under, that's why they never see things the way we do; like us always being right! :roflmao:

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 02:56 PM

Remember they are up-side down, down-under, that's why they never see things the way we do; like us always being right!

Gary and Bird, let's get them!!!!:flame: :roflmao:

Charles the white balance on my camera was set to auto. The colors you saw were due to the compression, as before compression it looked much better. The hard edge is present even in the raw images. It's my scope. Below I'm posting a non-processed picture (before and after Zenith...will explain later) so you can see how it comes out without any processing. The color shows funny again due to the compression. By the way, thanks for working on my photo.:waytogo:. It looks great.

Ron, here's a "before and after zenith" to prove to you that objects turn upside down after zenith :roflmao:...at least in relation to the scope. Oh, and this is not a camera trick either. :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• 9491-moonUPdown.jpg

#14 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 07 September 2003 - 03:03 PM

Neme;

I find that just a little odd. Seeing it as an artifact of the scope is easier to swallow. I'll have to check it out in mine and see if it happens there. Or if it just happens to the cowboys in Brazil.

Bottom picture has less colour, maybe you should shoot past zenith more often.

#15 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 03:33 PM

Ron,

Next time the moon is close to zenith shoot it and wait until it passes it. As you turn the scope around to get it past zenith your vantage point is flipped.

By the way, did you know that when above the equator water flows in a way opposite to what it does below the equator when going down a drain? :question: :roflmao:

#16 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, your toilets flush backwards too! Just nothing right down there! :roflmao: I bet the Phrase for bolts on and off is even backwards down-under. How's that go...Lefty loosey, Righty tighty!

Charles :lol:

#17 Charles

Charles

Skylab

• -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 04:39 PM

Geez Megatron, I mean Tom, that is one huge file :jawdrop: and yes you are forgiven for the file, this time.:lol:

That is one beautiful Picture! :waytogo: I was laughing so much at Neme and Ron I did not even notice your picture.

Way to go!

I'm definitely going to have to steal it and play with it. You know my thoughts on copyright laws...if I can right click on it it's mine! :roflmao:

#18 Bird

Bird

Soyuz

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:05 PM

Ron,

Next time the moon is close to zenith shoot it and wait until it passes it. As you turn the scope around to get it past zenith your vantage point is flipped.

By the way, did you know that when above the equator water flows in a way opposite to what it does below the equator when going down a drain? :question: :roflmao:

Hey neme - let me guess, you've got a german eq mount, right?

Those strange guys with fork mounts don't have this "feature" :-)

cheers, Bird

#19 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 07 September 2003 - 06:11 PM

Neme;

Why would I turn my scope around? I just swing thru zenith; with either scope. Why do you have to swing your's around?

Do you really believe in the water drain thing or are you joking?

By the way, since we're wondering around the topic like a Mexican hat dance; Neme, AMD cpu's are not the only warm processors. This G4 gets pretty **** warm too. I don't know how they did it in such a small case but it has a fan that kicks on when the thing is really cranky out the clock cycles. I'm thinking of using it as a dew heater/zapper.

#20 Bird

Bird

Soyuz

Posted 07 September 2003 - 07:32 PM

Neme;

Why would I turn my scope around? I just swing thru zenith; with either scope. Why do you have to swing your's around?

Try that with a GE mount, and I'll buy you a new RA motor (not!!). :-) :-)

At least, on my GE mount, the RA motor would get crunched by the tube if I tried that :-)

cheers, Bird

#21 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 07:43 PM

You've got it bird. You've solved the charade. And they say northern "folk" are smarter! :roflmao:

#22 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 07 September 2003 - 07:47 PM

Ron,

The water thing is true, but only generally speaking. There are other factors that come into play here.

I'm thinking of using it as a dew heater/zapper.

Just redirect that air flow... :roflmao:

#23 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:46 PM

Neme,

That's fantastic! I really like the exposure levels, and the look of the image as a whole...

What equipment are you using?

Tom T.

#24 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:29 PM

I just realized that even though my NS11 is fork mounted, for all pratical purposes, my telepod for the pronto is the same mount. And if you call my arms forks, the binoculars are fork mounted too! Looks like GEMs' are not so great after all! :D

Bird; thanks for clearing that up.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics