•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mallincam for LX200R

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:19 AM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this great site. I have a LX200R 12 inch and will look at getting a Mallincam hyper color for viewing in semi-light polluted area. Can anyoe advise me on the best focul reducers to use with the meade scope as I have no experience in this field yet?. I have been told some reducers don't suit the 200R optics and some are very bulky?.Also would the Mallincam color do reasonbly well on planets/moon?.I have only found alot of posts where people are having alot of success using Newts or refractors but is there anyone having alot of success using this camera and the LX200R scope?Your imput will be appreciated.

Regards Matt.

#2 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

Welcome to the forums!

The most popular FR for use with the MHCP on SCTs is undoubtedly the MFR-4 that you can purchase as an accessory with your MallinCam. It replaces the 1-1/4" nosepiece of the camera, and short extensions are available to increase the FOV further. You can also use the Meade or Celestron f/6 and f3.3 Reducer/Correctors that screw onto the rear cell. Note that the f/3.3 unit can't achieve focus with a diagonal, so you may be prevented from aiming at certain targets, if the camera would hit the fork base. Finally, the Denkmeier Power X Switch diagonal will permit relatively quick and convenient changes between 3 different focal ratios.

And the camera works quite well on moon/planets.

#3 skyguy88

skyguy88

Ranger 4

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

Note that the f/3.3 unit can't achieve focus with a diagonal, so you may be prevented from aiming at certain targets, if the camera would hit the fork base.
I think that this limitation deserves emphasis. I use my camera on a GEM mounted SCT and have no problems with clearance. But I have loaned the camera to two friends with fork mounted SCTs and in both cases they had to restrict the scopes from looking at overhead targets because of clearance problems. In both cases they were using combinations of FRs, flip mirrors, in line focusers, etc. I don't know what combinations would or wouldn't work without causing clearance problems, but it is an issue worth considering.

Bill McDonald

#4 Ruthenius

Ruthenius

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

I put mine behind the diagonal, avoiding entirely the clearance issue.

To regain proper up-down-left-right orientation, just go in the options menu and switch the image horizontally or vertically (I can't remember which).

Cheers!

Michael

#5 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for that everyone, I will look at getting the MFR focul reducer when I order the camera along with a couple of extension rings. Here's another question: When using the Mallicam what is the best way and easiest way to capture and store prized images for later print? I don't cae about making master pieces at this stage just want to be able to show them to people.

#6 skyguy88

skyguy88

Ranger 4

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hi Michael,

I posted my comment after seeing in the previous post a comment that the 3.3 fr "can't achieve focus with a diagonal". Are you using Rocks 3.3 FR with a diagonal?

Bill

#7 Ruthenius

Ruthenius

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

Yep, I use the MFR3. Works great.

Michael

#8 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:04 PM

I used our clubs LX200 with the MCHC and the FR3 focal reducer (I think with the extension also, but I really don't remember)....it focused fine. Then the picture went wireless 75 feet away to projector and put M42 on a 4x6 screen in front of a club meeting. Sufficient wow effect also. Roland

#9 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for that Roland I will order a Mallincamcolor to suit my Lx200R and for use with family a friends.When I get it I may need to post some questions to you helpfull people. We are in Queensland Australia so it may take a few weeks to get 1 in.

Regards Matt.

Cheers Matt.

#10 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:08 PM

Welcome to CN, Cold Space.

Glad the folks here could help you make the decision.

#11 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

Welcome, Cold Space!!!

Couple of thoughts:

1) my best preservations have been DSLR photos of the monitor showing what I'm seeing with the MCHP

2) All the posted images I've seen thus far, of "captures" via PC, etc... just don't have the same versimilitude that this admittedly crude approach captures...

try to keep in mind that, the main use-case/purpose of MCHP is NOT to try and "capture" images... it is to view them in an "assisted fashion"

As I'm reminded after last nights wonderful observations of M1 and M81/82 with Luna "ablaze"...

clear enough skies

#12 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for that Dave, I looked further on the net and found alot of people taking great shots of the monitor. I am intrested with this camera so I can get alot more use out of my telescope in suburbia, which I am now positive it will provide.

Regards Matt.

#13 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:23 AM

It DEFINITELY does that! I'm in the "orange zone" of deep (almost rural) surbubia (my SQM readings are typically 19.5 on a good night, 20.5 on a GREAT night; 19.05 last night!) - so while not super bright, they are NOT particularly dark...

Yet last night (with total snow cover making things kinda not so dark - visual limiting magnitude estimated at 4.8) I had a ball with the MCHP. In only an hour I bagged M31, M42, M33 and M81/82 and in addition got the wireless going to put the picture inside on the 42" HDTV for the family (who didn't want to be out in the cold/wind)...

All, using only 100mm of f9 (native) aperture... it really does drill through light pollution quite nicely; and the color is a nice bonus...

Now, all I need is more, and faster!, aperture... but on the same mount, etc... am considering something like a 6" Schmitt Newtonian, or fast reflector at 6", or if I can justify the funds, the Vixen VC200L 8"...

But you will love it in your LX200R I'm betting! That's an F10 right?

clear enough skies

#14 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:33 AM

Yes Dave, It is an F10 but I will get a couple of focul reducers for it. We are in the outer suburbs of Brisbane,Australia and it is reasonbly bright here as well. Our clubs dark sky site is over 2hrs away so I only get out there a few times a year. Even here with the 12 inch scope there are only the brighter objects like Tuc47.Omega cent.and the orion and eta carina nebs.that keep the family happy so I now want to blow us all away so the Mallincam color sounds like fun. I looked at the other makes but they don't have real time color. I did some research on the lux sensitivity and it seems like the Mallincam is more sensitive in color than the other cameras in B/W,please correct me if I am wrong. Anyway it sounds like alot of fun just have to wait for 1 now and for our clouds to go. We have a cyclone of our coast and another heading ourway.Any futher hints would be great.
Clear skys,no snow and no cyclones.

Matt

#15 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

We have a cyclone off our coast and another heading our way. Any futher hints would be great.

Matt, I would suggest you take cover. :tonofbricks:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Looking forward to your reports of the Mallincam. I plan to go the same route with my 11" SCT.

#16 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

Yep thanks Patrick, Buckling down for the blow. Looks like a fizzer anyway hopefully get some clear sky soon. I am still open for anyone to add futher hints for me on going down the Mallincam/LX200R setup.

Matt.

#17 plav1959

plav1959

Viking 1

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

Well Matt,
As soon as it warms up down here in Florida I'll be using my MCHP on a 10" LX200R. Will be trying a combination of FR's- .63 Antares FR/FF, an MFR4, and various spacers. I'll post results as soon as they are available. I've never used the scope with the Antares worrying about overcorrection. I don't think this will be much of a problem with the MCHP given its small FOV.

#18 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:37 AM

Hi Matt

You will enjoy the LX200R/Mallincam combination, I'm sure.

I have a 14" LX200R + Mallincam Hyper Plus Color which gives very pleasing views. The first time you see the color and detail you will be amazed. The only FR I have is the MFR-4 from Rock which works quite well. If I add the included 5mm ring then I get vignetting although you may not. My suggestion would be to try the MFR-4 before worrying about other FRs.

Let's just hope the weather clears by the time you receive your camera.

Regards
Gavin - on the sunny Gold Coast ;)

#19 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:54 AM

Thanks Gavin, I hope the weather clears up as I am going through withdrawel at the moment and the kids are driving me insane couped up in the house for weeks now. I have ordered a Mallincam and by the sounds of it I am going to have alot of fun with it and the family. I sent you PM hope you got it.

Regards Matt.- in the flooded logan area. :bawling: :bawling:

#20 Doug Phillipson

Doug Phillipson

Viking 1

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

I have a Meade LX200GPS (10inch) and I use the Meade Flip Mirror Box. Which allows me to center the object in the eyepiece prior to flipping the photons to the Mallincam. It saves me minutes locating each object in the Mallincam's field of view.

Doug P

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics