•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron and Stellacam ll

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 marell

marell

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 January 2008 - 01:38 PM

I was wondering if anyone is using or has considered using this combination as an ultralight viewing package. I was planning to use it with a 300mm lens or small refractor. I'm starting to get a little lazy in my old age and lugging the G11 and 9.25 sct is getting a little tiresome.

#2 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

You know, I don't know why that wouldn't work...

I haven't (Yet) played with my WO66 and my Mallincam... will hafta do that sometime...

I think the iOptron could handle UP to an ED80... and there are some good ED80 photos with MCHP over on the Mallincam Yahoo group site...

It aint' going to go as deep as with larger aperture, of course, but still, should be pretty good (and wide field)!

hmmmm....

iOptron+WO66+MCHP+small tripod+Watec 3.5"+power tank = pretty darn portable (for camping!)...

hmmmm...

Clear enough skies

#3 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:27 PM

From anything I've read, you get what you pay for with this mount.

#4 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:53 PM

True, true... on the other hand, just how good does the tracking really need to be with a native focal ratio of under f6 and a focal length under 400mm?

*some* of the reviews aren't horrible... and since the MCHP has a lot of choices of integration times... it might be a good, fairly deep, wide-field viewing combo "on the cheap"

Cheap being relative - the MCHP would cost more than ALL the other parts put together! :lol:

clear enough skies

#5 allan

allan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Well I have used my Ioptron mount with an apochromatic 102mm scope and it works quite well with my Watec 120N+ camera. Just to show what it was capable of doing on the Ioptron mount have a look at this link to a moon shot I processed from a 30 sec avi.
http://www.iceinspac...18&d=1198239180
Regards, Allan

#6 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:02 AM

Very nice, Allan - no evidence of shaky or poor mount performance there... how long were the individual exposures? I'm guessing pretty short, right?

clear enough skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics