•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SV102ED based sketches: M33 -- visual & astrovideo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

The link is to a post on the sketching forum. If interested in comparing views between small/large apertures 4 inch refractor and 12.5 inch Dob) or between visual verses astro-video views of an object, then the sketching forum post may be of interest.

Roland

Link: http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#2 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

Very telling.

#3 Bill Cowles

Bill Cowles

MacGyver

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:18 PM

Very nice, but your making it harder for me to choose between my C6-R on an Atlas and my 12" LB that would need a platform. Your sketch with the 12.5" is wonderful.

Bill

#4 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

Bill, I understand the quandary, but here is my two cents. The 102ED is a great scope and for very portable and wide field work with astro video it is wonderful. HOWEVER, if I have the room where I go or I am at home, the additional aperture is definitely worth the extra money. If you note closely my M33 sketch with the 12.5, I draw your attention to the particular shaping of the arms, the fuzzies in the arms, the detail in the star field....all of which are substantially better than what I can see with the 102ED. Also, if the astro video includes color, the color variations are more dramatic and telling in an object. We needed the 102ED to get objects with large angular dimensions and I can pack it anywhere quickly. Each has its purpose, but if you want pure resolution capability and depth of detail, the 12.5 will win every time.

Roland

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics