•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trial run with security cameras

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

After seeing this forum for the first time it spurred me on to try viewing using an old security camera I have.
My line of business was providing surveys and demonstrations of security cameras and have been doing that for about 15 years, so I do know a little about CCD cameras and how they have improved over this time. Now I'm retired and have a bit of time to devote to my hobbies, Ham radio, photography and astronomy.
Anyway...

I set my telescope, a LX200R 10", up at the bedroom window then stuck on a JVC 1460 colour/mono security camera at prime focus and aligned it roughly, gave it a goto to M42 and then centred it and synced on it, focused it and went wow!
For a quick and dirty trial run I was very impressed, it is in no way a Mallincam but I did get an inkling as to what it would be like with such a camera. The JVC has frame integration on it giving a shutter speed range of 1/100000sec to 32/50sec (as I'm in the UK we use PAL) The camera is just not quite sensitive enough to get the colour while in colour mode, but, when switching from mono to colour there is a fraction of a second when the cam is in colour and the IR cut filter hasnt moved over the CCD sensor and that is what made me go WOW the colour for that fraction of a second was strong and distinct. Now I'm tempted to remove the filter but the cam is still used to protect the house and family.
I'll have to look at my digital recorder to see what was recorded on it of the nebula.

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi Alicatt,

Thanks for the report.
Looks like your JVC1460 is special, which not only can do 16x (frame rate of 1/25 sec) long exposure, but also be able to play back the same video frame repeatedly (i.e., has a built-in frame buffer). If you get it cheap and many units are availble (and more advanturous), a CCD transplant might be considered as an option.
The key is: cheap and many units will make this a worthy exercise.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

This camera is at least 6 years old and was a prototype I had to beta test for JVC, it had a few flaws which were corrected with software updates. It uses the Sony ex-view sensor and the one in my cam has a lot of stuck pixels, this is the same type of sensor as used in a few of the astro CCD cameras eg. Starlight Express. The cam is still in production and was quite pricey when I sold them, I do have some newer cameras but still this old JVC out performs them.
With the control software you can access the frame buffer but not when it is frame integrating.
http://www.jvcpro.co...item=TK-C1460BE
and for more details
http://www.jvc-victo...60be/index.html

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

Looks like it's a nice camera for its purpose.
BTW, saw hot pixel substration function in one of its menu.
Too bad there is no liquidation with huge quantities :) :)
then there will be tweaked version for AssistedViewing app.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

Looks like it's a nice camera for its purpose.
BTW, saw hot pixel substration function in one of its menu.
Too bad there is no liquidation with huge quantities :) :)
then there will be tweaked version for AssistedViewing app.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Alas that is not an option on my menus, My cam was a preproduction model to iron out some of the bugs in it, white spot removal was one of the sugestions and also a longer delay when switching over from mono to colour as originaly it done it as soon as the level rose to threshold and it was very anoying especialy when car headlights passed over the scene and you lost the image while it switched and then switched back again.
Been retired for 2 years now and the last "trade price" I have for the cam is from 2005 and it was £587 ($1160)

#6 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

had a go with the JVC on sunday evening imaging the M42 in Orion and recorded it to the Sony camcorder. pictures are a framegrab from the D8 tape via firewire and Pinnacle Studio.
Colour picture with the IR cut filter over the CCD.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2123982-Grabbed Frame 1.jpg

#7 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

Colour picture, just before the IR cut filter slides across the CCD.
the blur in the image is because I have had to touch the cam to change settings and there is not enough time for it to settle before the IR cut filter covers the CCD again.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2123989-Grabbed Frame 2.jpg

#8 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

Monochrome picture

Attached Thumbnails

• 2123991-Grabbed Frame 3.jpg

#9 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

Ok put a Youtube video up of the capture
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oAooQ1PviQU

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics