•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Basic usage question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

I see a DVD (player/recorder??) is one of the devices used to display the Stellacam/Mallincam output. If using a recorder, can you view and record from the camera at the same time? (assuming it has a display-I really don't know much about these)
Hubert

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

Hubert,

I don't know if a protable recorder with a built-in monitor exists. But if you allow two different devices, you can feed the camera signal to the recorder while recorder output goes to the monitor. That arrangement will work. Recorder output is "live" even when it is (or isn't) recording.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

Oh, ok. Thanks. I'm not familiar with the devices, and wondered how it would work.
Hubert

#4 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hubert,

As previously stated, I don't know of a small portable DVD recorder with built in monitor. So I use a Presidian (Radio Shack) DVD recorder with S-video input and send the camera's S-video output to it. I then run from the DVD player's composite video output to a 10.2" DVD player to insure that the camera's signal is being received by the recorder.

Jack Herkamp

#5 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

Hubert,

As previously stated, I don't know of a small portable DVD recorder with built in monitor. So I use a Presidian (Radio Shack) DVD recorder with S-video input and send the camera's S-video output to it. I then run from the DVD player's composite video output to a 10.2" DVD player to insure that the camera's signal is being received by the recorder.

Jack Herkamp

Jack, couldn't you also use your AVer capture card to record strieght to DVD on your computer, and be able to see it real time as well? With my capture card, it seems like DVD record option gives me the best resolution anyway.

Neil

#6 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

Neil,

I haven't thought of that before. I don't know if the AverTV Cardbus does any manipulation of the signal or if the raw camera signal will be recorded.

Jakc

#7 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

After last nights kind of successful trial run I can see that a little more effort is worth investing. So my next plan is to use my old D8 camcorder as a capture device and to firewire the images onto the PC. I did have the cam connected to my security DVR but the saved images were full of jpg artifacts

#8 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

Neil,

I haven't thought of that before. I don't know if the AverTV Cardbus does any manipulation of the signal or if the raw camera signal will be recorded.

Jakc

I don't know about your model, but the express card "says" that when you use DVD recording it gives you 720x576 at 8000 Kbps. This configuration is even better than AVI record, and MPEG 4.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics