•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Field rotation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:44 AM

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if I am going to get field rotation when using a video camera such as the Mallincam when using it on a fork mounted Meade scope?. I will be looking at using it mainly for visual and does the longer time settings such as 28 or 56 secs cause rotation problems on the monitor?. Your feed back will be great.Thanks again.

Matt

#2 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

Matt,

Field rotation issues at the longer exposure times can manifest themselves depending upon where the scope is pointed. On New Years Day, I got a chance to first use my CPC 1100 with HyperStar, and one of the targets was M33. When I first looked at it, it was directly overhead at the zenith. Field rotation was visible in only 7 seconds. I waited an hour for it to move to the west of the zenith and all was fine. Normally field rotation effects on a ALT-Az scope are not an issue with exposures under a minute.

Jack

#3 cold space

cold space

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for that Jack,

I know you mentioned to me via e-mail the other day about how rotation affects mainly at the Zenith but I was looking at some of Rocks images and noticed he was using field de-rotator so was just wondering if I would need one. But most observing will be done in the southern part of our sky and I guess this should not cause to many probs. If I want to get into longer exposures down the track can you use the Meade field de-rotator with the Mallincam? I have sent you an e-mail wanted to order one and some accessories.

Regards Matt.

#4 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Matt,

A field de-rotator will eliminate any star trailing - no matter where the Alt-Az scope is pointed.

Jack

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics