•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A display like an eyepiece

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:12 AM

No price seen here, but...

lookie...

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:27 AM

Nice! Must be $$$.

A truly consumer grade we see everyday implementation is camcorder's EVF. These tend to be using a lower resolution (160*240 or better 320*240) tiny LCD (size: 0.24", 0.33", or 0.44") then go though a manifying lens as the EVF. It typically takes in YCbCr analog feeds and requires separate H-Sync and V-Sync.

This type of "EP-like" approach tends to add a bit of immersion experience.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

Still no price but HERE is more info.

Neil

#4 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:04 PM

That's What I'm Talkin About...

These are almost exactly what I had in mind, it would be good if they had more control of the image like color and contrast.
I like the looks of the LE-600 because of the brightness control, I like the looks of the LE-450 cause it looks less expensive.... :grin:
I'm looking forward to seeing what they cost and what type of discount they would give if more than one is purchased ....

Now,
All we need is a Guinea Pig.... :thinking: Please refer to post #2093037 to see that is not my turn... :whistle:

Greg

#5 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:51 PM

After further rooting around in different websites, My guess is these little electronic eyepieces will probably cost $8000.00 to $10,0000.00 , maybe more...
If that's the case then my *BLEEP* little 3.5"LCD with a focuser and a fake 2" eyepiece will be looking pretty good to me... :grin:

Greg

#6 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:59 PM

With that type of price,
I'd rather buy a surplus camcorder, yank the goodies out instead :) :).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#7 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:53 AM

With that type of price,
I'd rather buy a surplus camcorder, yank the goodies out instead :) :).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

Many years ago I got a 1" CRT eyepiece from a video camera, where I lived there is a company that took Cannon video cameras and ripped the guts out of them disposed of the lenses and eyepices in the bin and then used the rest of the "guts" in underwater cameras for the oil industry. So a bit of bin raiding and... I have a 12V 1" monochrome monitor :grin:
This company also made an adaptor for a C mount Hitachi Nevicon tubed camera and my 50mm Tasco telescope so I could use it to look at Halley's Comet when it came over in 1986, camera wasn't sensitive enough tho, and that was my first attempt at using video cam to view the stars. Still got the adapter but that video cam is long gone.

#8 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

After further rooting around in different websites, My guess is these little electronic eyepieces will probably cost $8000.00 to $10,0000.00 , maybe more...
If that's the case then my *BLEEP* little 3.5"LCD with a focuser and a fake 2" eyepiece will be looking pretty good to me... :grin:

Greg

Well, I got a call back and I was off on the price a little bit. The cheapest version is $3500.00 with no adjustments and the price goes up fast from there.... He assured me that I would like the image and I thanked him very much for his time and the call back... :borg:

Greg

#9 Pat G.

Pat G.

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

Cool technology but isn't it better to use 2 eyes :question:

#10 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:20 PM

Oooh...

This might be good. The resolution's low, but for focusing and being tiny... They have them in b/w ($115) and color ($238)...

Really simple. Battery powered...

Micro Viewer

(Would you believe after posting this I found a brand new one on ebay Canada and won it for $60 including shipping?!!)

Can't go wrong with that! - j

#11 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Oooh...

This might be good. The resolution's low, but for focusing and being tiny... They have them in b/w ($115) and color ($238)...

Micro Viewer

(Would you believe after posting this I found a brand new one on ebay Canada and won it for $60 including shipping?!!)

Can't go wrong with that! - j

I tried the b&w version of this hand held monitor and it was ok for centering the object and for focusing the camera, but the image was too bright and the resolution was not that great. The lcd is 1/4 " and magnified with two cheap lens that can be focused.
Not so good for viewing. I returned the one I had.

We need 640X480 color with focus, and at least a brightness control.

Greg

#12 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

it was ok for centering the object and for focusing the camera,

That's exactly the reason I picked it up! :D

#13 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

Oooh...

They sell those at SuperCircuits for $99 (B\W version).
Put two of them together for some electronic-binocular viewing.
That might be handy at an outreach. :question:

#14 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:10 AM

get a pair of video glasses - they are small better resolution 640X480

#15 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

get a pair of video glasses - they are small better resolution 640X480

I looked into those and I believe that the they are playing with the numbers. I'm not 100% sure but I think they come up with 640X480 by adding the specs. from both 320x240 1/4" LCD displays to give a false spec. of 640X480. The real expensive ones may use a different LCD, but most use the 320x480 X 2= 640X480. ( like I said I'm Not 100% sure so lets not chew me up and spit me out.) :vomit: :grin:

I really want to look into a single eyepiece type display with the correct resolution, to get the feel of looking into a real eyepiece. With freeze frame it would be like using a color Collins I3. My 30" would be like using a 120" or more.

Greg

#16 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

I really want to look into a single eyepiece type display with the correct resolution, to get the feel of looking into a real eyepiece.

But then you're back to "Cyclopeian-Viewing"!
:foreheadslap:

Before Mallincam I was a long-time adherent of bino-viewing (still am for planetary observing) because of its' ability to allow the brain to process images as it was designed to do - with both eyes!
For me, that's one of the best aspects of video astronomy,
I can use both eyes, and share the image with others, without having to continually explain to neophytes HOW to use a bino-viewer and constantly fiddle with the interpupillary adjustments and diopter differences of the various observers.
And, best of all, I can actually STUDY an object in detail without eyestrain and even while seated comfortably (preferrably with a nice Cohiba Robusto too!).

Just my 2-cents worth, but it seems like packing all the data back into a single tube (eyepiece) defeats much of the gain that the Mallincam/Video Monitor provides.

Mike

#17 greg

greg

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:52 PM

I really want to look into a single eyepiece type display with the correct resolution, to get the feel of looking into a real eyepiece.

But then you're back to "Cyclopeian-Viewing"!
:foreheadslap:

Before Mallincam I was a long-time adherent of bino-viewing (still am for planetary observing) because of its' ability to allow the brain to process images as it was designed to do - with both eyes!
For me, that's one of the best aspects of video astronomy,
I can use both eyes, and share the image with others, without having to continually explain to neophytes HOW to use a bino-viewer and constantly fiddle with the interpupillary adjustments and diopter differences of the various observers.
And, best of all, I can actually STUDY an object in detail without eyestrain and even while seated comfortably (preferrably with a nice Cohiba Robusto too!).

Just my 2-cents worth, but it seems like packing all the data back into a single tube (eyepiece) defeats much of the gain that the Mallincam/Video Monitor provides.

Mike

Cool, Maybe I could sell you the first bino version... :grin:

I did the whole binoviewer thing. I spent a lot of money, time, and telescope mods. to get the most I could out of binoviewing. What I found was that they where great for M42, the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, and star clusters. I like M42, the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, but those four objects didn't justify keeping the binos. I lost too much detail on faint objects. So I sold all my bino stuff and bought a MallinCam. :grin:

The thing about the video glasses is, well, your putting on a pair of Glasses.....
A video eyepiece or video binoviewer mounted to the rocker box on an adjustable pole, would allow people to walk up and lean over to take a look... and the hope is that it will feel like looking through a telescope and binoviewer or an eyepiece and not so much like looking at a computer screen.
With the freeze frame a good image could be frozen so even if someone bumped the scope a little the image would still look great.
Monitors are great for outreach or for viewing with a group of people, but to control light pollution if you stick your monitor in a box with a flap then you are down to single person viewing again.
I want the best of both, some people don't like loosing the feel of looking through a Telescope eyepiece or binoviewer.
I have what I feel is a great 9" highRes. Color CRT monitor and I would trade it in a heartbeat for a HighRes color eyepiece.

The best thing about them would be no light pollution for other observers and the feel of using a really BIG telescope...

Greg :imawake:

#18 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

video glasses give the bino feeling to some degree and do not pollute (extra light)

#19 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Just mount the video glasses on the side of the scope like a bino-viewer!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics