•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Generation of GOTO EQ Mounts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 asaint

asaint

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:32 PM

New Generation

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:23 PM

I would like to correct the information you told that the Sphinx Firmware does not contain autoguider as it does effectivly !! The revision 24 has it inside but you need to pay a fee to vixen to get a licence key to activate it

best regards, nice article !

Pierre

#3 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:29 PM

But the Sphinx is REAL expensive, it's pretty, it has cool features, but it costs as much as a REAL nice OTA. I wanted one, just couldn't justify it. :bawling:

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:29 PM

I would like to correct the information you told that the Sphinx Firmware does not contain autoguider as it does effectivly !! The revision 24 has it inside but you need to pay a fee to vixen to get a licence key to activate it

best regards, nice article !

Pierre

Hi, Pierre.

I had heard the the new firmware was out but when I went to Vixen's website to buy it the link was inactive. :foreheadslap: I figured there was a delay in the release. I couldn't even find out the price.

#5 Jeroen Smaal

Jeroen Smaal

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:01 PM

The basic version of the new firmware (version 24) is free, but the Backlash Compensation and Autoguiding option is 2100 Yen, about 20 dollars. You purchase an activation code from Vixen which they send to you via e-mail.
Even the free version of the new firmware is a great improvement on the earlier versions, as it has a much speedier user interface.
I've had no problems downloading the new firmware from the link on the http://www.vixen-global.com site.

Regards,

Jeroen

#6 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:12 PM

You gotta be kidding me.... They are making you pay an additional $20 for a firmware upgrade on a $2000+ mount??

:foreheadslap:

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 15 October 2004 - 04:20 PM

I've had no problems downloading the new firmware from the link on the http://www.vixen-global.com site.

Thanks! Last time I looked, there was a link but it didn't do anything. I'll try again.

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 16 October 2004 - 12:02 PM

New Generation

Am I the only one who can't see the pictures? :question:

#9 Maverick

Maverick

Mariner 2

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:42 PM

I can only see the first picture, the others are not there.... :crazy:

#10 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:40 AM

You gotta be kidding me.... They are making you pay an additional $20 for a firmware upgrade on a $2000+ mount??

:foreheadslap:

That is correct Tom. But the Dealers are trying to get Vixen to change that. Since this is Vixens first venture into this 'Go To' business, they havent quite caught onto the idea of supplying all upgrade software 'free' like Celestron and Meade. The Japanese have much to learn if they want to sell their products. But I own the Vixen Sphinx mount and like the way it handles my Burgess scope. VERY well balanced and quiet! It's 'go to' is simple but a little different from Celestron and Meade and the large hc takes some getting used to. Its very bright so a supplied filter is needed to cover screen to cut down brightness. You can adjust brightness inturnally but I recommend the filter. I really need more time with scope so I can give a more detailed description on how well it works. But from some preliminary trials (and errors lol) it really is a good mount.

#11 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

Posted 17 October 2004 - 07:46 AM

I own the Vixen Sphinx mount and like the way it handles my Burgess scope. VERY well balanced and quiet!

It handles the heavier 6" F/8 quite well also - and requires only one 11 pound counterweight to do it!

I did finally manage to download the new firmware and will install it and look into adding the pay features later.

#12 Mike28

Mike28

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:26 AM

I own the Vixen Sphinx mount and like the way it handles my Burgess scope. VERY well balanced and quiet!

It handles the heavier 6" F/8 quite well also - and requires only one 11 pound counterweight to do it!

I did finally manage to download the new firmware and will install it and look into adding the pay features later.

I really dont think people are aware just how good the mount is. It's just not getting the publicity it needs. I took a gamble and purchased it. First saw it at NEAF and the dealer rep operated it for me and I was a impressed. It is expensive for a mount but you can just about put any midsize refractor or SCT (8-12") on it. It handles my 127 with no dificulty at all. Time will onlt tell here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics