•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aux monitor screen for telescope... answer please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

I am wondering if any of our knowledgeable electronics fellows could help with this question.
I have been using a very small Mitsubishi Amity CN-2 computer for many many years and it is almost an antique now.
But with only a couple of pounds weight, it sits on a stand that rotates with the azimuth axis on the 12.5 inch Dob.
I can push to, or use the DobDriverII to maneuver the scope and watch the position of the telescope on the screen from the viewing position at the eyepeice at all times.
Works very well.
But it's seeing its last days now, since batteries are impossible to find and any electrical glitch from the power cord now causes a reboot and all the realigning that follows.
I am thinking of using a larger laptop, perhaps without the monitor screen attached, but one that would sit low in the base or away from the telescope, and simply have a small monitor up close to the eyepiece.
Is there a type of small DVD screen, perhaps one of the aux screens available on dual DVD mobile players, that will accept the aux monitor output from a laptop?
In other words, not withstanding the S-Video stuff, can a more fancy mobile dvd player screen be used as a computer monitor screen?
What type of dvd input feature should I look for when trying to select a stand alone, up close to the eyepiece, and away from the computer/planetarium software control?
Thanks,
Jim

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Jim,

I would not recommend the NTSC video monitor route for computer display. The resolution is unsuitable for PC display even at VGA resolution.

Few possible solutions (all PC related):

1. Use sub-notebook like Toshiba Libretto (6.1" or 7.1" LCD) VGA resolution

2. Use USB-VGA converter like this USB-VGA, then connect to a regular LCD computer monitor.
For smaller sized monitor, you can find a 8" VGA resolution TFT LCD monitor thru Google.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 AV in CMH

AV in CMH

Viking 1

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

Hello,

How about going to a PDA? Palm or Windows.

Have you looked at Palm Planetarium or Astronomist?

Good luck, regards,

Anthony

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

Just a sidenote: PDA's display resolution is typically 320*240.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

I have used LCD monitors, and better DVD displays with good success. Avoid the cheaper solutions, as you generally get what you pay for; especially for astronomy usage IMO. My experience here....

http://www.barrie-ta.../d70finder.html

Ciao...Barry

#6 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for all your replies folks.
I am using the tiny 7X9 inch screen on the Mitsubishi Amity CN2 computer, and in addition when I don't have the time to latch everything onto the side of the telescope, a Tungsten C PDA works in a pinch with the telescope too.
The sub-laptop computers available today are all priced way too high for my needs, and trying not to run the risk of damaging such an expensive piece of equipment that's harnessed to the telescope.
I had posted this request initially on the ATM OPTICS DIY forum as I had thought there might be a simple solution for a compact aux-monitor/stand-alone screen in the form of a secondary DVD monitor that could be operated from the output of a standard computer.
Really just trying to Keep It Simple....
But alas, the posting was moved here amoungst all the electronic guru's, and now I am thinking there is no simple solution.
Not gonna give up just yet tho,
Jim

#7 AV in CMH

AV in CMH

Viking 1

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

One possible source of a replacement battery pack is Electrodynamics. They make custom packs for RC applications.

Try: http://www.electrodynam.com/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics