•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Celestron accessory kit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2003 - 03:03 AM

Just noticed Celectron is offering an eyepiece and filter kit for $99 USD with purchase of scope. The kit includes:

* Plossl eye pieces 4mm, 6mm, 9mm, 15mm, and 32mm
* 2x barlow
* Moon filter
* Deep yellow filter #12
* Orange filter #21
* Red filter #25
* Light green #56
* Dark green #58A
* Light blue #80A
* Aluminum case

Does anyone have any experience with this kit or comment? Telescopes.com mentions the eyepieces are the Omni series, but Celestron doesn't list them on their site.

Seems like a good deal for $99 USD, MSRP is . FYI, kit will be used with a Nexstar 9.25.

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 07 September 2003 - 03:51 AM

Hi, James.

It's a very good deal for the price. The eyepieces are of reasonable quality and quite usable. The focal lengths are skewed toward the shorter end. In the C9.25 the 9mm won't be usable except on nights of particularly good seeing and the shorter ones rarely if ever. It would still be a good deal if it only included the 9mm, 15mm, and 32mm.

I've used the 15mm and 32mm in binoviewer pairs and for eyepiece projection imaging. They aren't Naglers, but they aren't junk either.

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:46 AM

Last year, Celestron offered these kits for $99 when you purchased a scope from them. They apparently have been so popular that they are selling them seperately now. I bought two sets last year and used them in a binoviewer with very good results. They are high quality Plossls and filters. The eyepieces are maybe not up to the same fit and finish as Televue or Meade Series 4000 Plossls, but I honestly have not found anything that I don't like about them. I've used them in a number of scopes for everything up to high power views of Mars.

Although I have a set of Televue Naglers, I find myself using these Plossls for solar observing and in second scopes when I'm observing at night.
:waytogo:

#4 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 07 September 2003 - 09:53 AM

Oh yes, and if you want to fill out the line with a 20mm or 25mm eyepiece, Scopetronix sells the same eyepieces under ST brand for under $40 each.

http://www.scopetronix.com/

Hands on Optics has the 25mm but not the 20mm for some reason. He sells them under the GTO brand. He might have the 20, but it isn't listed.

#5 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 07 September 2003 - 11:14 AM

Anacortes sells these EP's for about $35 each and $49 for the 32mm. If you add it all up it's about $320 (street price) worth of accessories.

#6 techmgr

techmgr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:38 AM

Does anyone know what the model Barlow is included with the accessory kit? Is it the Ultima barlow or the standard one? :question:

John

#7 Don W

Don W

• Administrators

Posted 23 September 2003 - 08:47 PM

It's a standard barlow.

#8 Steve Landry

Steve Landry

Viking 1

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:59 AM

I received the Accessory kit yesterday with a Celestron C4R.

I put them to their paces tonight, and I gotta say, for 99 bucks, this is a good deal.

I mainly use Celestron Ultimas.

The 4 and 6mm EP's have very small eye lenses, but they are usable and functional eyepieces.

If you're on a budget, these are indeed a steal and a good deal.

Highly recommended.

BTW James, Congrats on getting the 9.25. I love mine! Where are u in Washington State?

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics