•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

In-line gamma adjuster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

Once your monitor is calibrated to show its best possible picture (black point, full graduated value range, sharpness, etc.), you really shouldn't need to fiddle with those settings again. What WOULD be nice is an in-line gamma adjustment device (preferably with S-video input and output) to adjust where your mid-grey point lies.

This device is in line with what I'm thinking, but with the wrong kind (but still useable) input/outputs. Ideally you'd have a knob for adjusting it.

Do any of you more video-savvy pros know of any device like this? Google hasn't been fruitful. - j

#2 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

We may have some luck in this arena. The gentleman who produces the item above has indicated that an in line gamma corrector for an S-Video link would be easy to create.

He does low-volume, niche production and thinks this would be up his alley.

I've asked to reproduce his email (along with my query) here, which I will when I get his permission. - j

#3 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Jay,

I have no problem if you post my response in the groups. If you are interested I can have a prototype ready in a few weeks.

Kim

Jay Scheuerle wrote:
Kim,

Would you mind if I publish your response in my user groups (both at Cloudynights.com and the Yahoo Mallincam group)? I really have no idea how many people are using these cameras, but they’re starting to really take off.

- Jay Scheuerle

Reply-To: Kim Beumer
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 15:17:45 -0600 (CST)
To: Jay Scheuerle
Cc:
Subject: Re: RTC2200

Jay,

From a technical point a view creating a gamma correction on a S-Video signal is relatively easy since it is already luminance/chrominance seperated and and I can make a converter for you that can do this.

I have no idea about the field that you are working in and I was wondering how many more people would be interested in this. Crescendo Systems really only makes low volume niche products so this would fit me really well too.

Best regards,

Kim Beumer
Crescendo Systems

Jay Scheuerle wrote:
Hi,

I’m not a video professional, but I’m hoping that this product may be able to suit my (and others needs) in the assisted visual astronomy sector.

There are some extremely low-light astro-video cameras (Mallincam/Stellacam) that allow us to see very faint objects by integrating frames of varying time-length and then outputting them as an NTSC signal via composite or S-Video to a monitor. Usually, the brightness and contrast knobs are used to display the best possible picture, but I think that type of fiddling could be better pulled off with an in-line gamma adjuster, so that the monitor can be left in a calibrated state.

Would it be possible (with some sort of converters I assume) to use your product in this fashion, or do you have any recommendations as to how we can adjust the gamma within an S-video or composite chain?

Thanks for any info you can provide. - Jay Scheuerle

#4 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

I, for one, would be interested in buying such a device.

Mike Harvey

#5 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:45 AM

Kim has estimated the price as being around $100.

My requests included:

This product would be used outdoors and would benefit from being easily adjustable, perhaps with gloves on.
Preferably, no external power source would be needed. A small, long-lasting battery (like a lithium cell) would be better than needing AC.
Since much of this stuff is moved, smaller is better.

Here’s two ways that I’m picturing it:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2110007-Picture 1.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics