•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Digtal Rebel EOS xti for Astrophotography

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bees

Bees

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:28 PM

I'm a little concerned about the EOS Digital Rebels for astrophotography. Specifically I read an article about having to open an EOS, remove a filter and then replace it with a different filter in order to allow certain wavelengths to be captured by the camera when shooting.

Is this still an issue? Can you buy the camera with the proper filter installed already? Does having a new filter make it inoperable for regular every-day pictures (ie. does it change the color?)

#2 NeoDinian

NeoDinian

Experienced Postmaster

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

It's NOT required. You can get great images without doing the Modification.

If you decide down the road you WANT the mod, you can do it yourself, or even send in your camera to one of the places that does the mod to have them do it for you...

If you want it NOW, then YES, you can buy them already Modded for you.

For daytime use, they have a special "Drop-in" filter you can use, as well as custom white-balancing...

#3 ericjacob613

ericjacob613

Photon Hog

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

There's little need for the modification. Check my site to see what an umodded xti can do.

#4 cocobolo

cocobolo

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

Agreed. Eric does wonders with the XTi. There is a thread somewhere with a link to do the mods, but it is very complicated. Personally, I think if you want to go that far you are just better off getting a Hutech modded camera right off the bat. That, of course, comes at a considerable price! Keith

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

I'm using a stock XT and a stock XTi with no problems. Unless you really want to push the edge it isn't necessary, nice, but not necessary.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics