•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Some fun with the Servocat / Mallincam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 StarStructure Telescopes

StarStructure Telescopes

Vendor (Starstructure Telescopes)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

Hi all,
My friend Carl and I have spent the last few months playing with his Servocat / Argo Navis Equip 22” F4 Starstructure coupled with the Mallincam Hyper / Watec 3.5” screen. I felt that this was worth mentioning to this forum. We did spend some time tweaking on the scope checking the encoder axis, redoing the auto cal and carefully adjusting the backlash. Also made a custom set of trusses allowing us to use 25mm of spacers on the focal reducer, I believe that we are shooting at F1.9

Carl’s 22” is a very tight scope mainly because he takes care of it. It’s basically “out of the box” for the most part. He keeps it very clean and takes care when loading and unloading, the differences are very noticeable.

So far we have been able to run continuous 56 second iterations with no problem at all. To date we have done 20-56 second iterations in a row with no movement on the screen at all. If fact there are times that we didn’t know when the screen was refreshing. Perhaps Rock should install a “beep” at the end of each iteration. This past weekend Carl told me that he held M51 for over 45 minutes ( I past out, wimp) Shutting down the Mallincam only because of the chip heating up after over 20 minutes and showing a little amp glow.

It’s pretty clear to me that when all things are correct that the Servocat / Argo combo is very capable of doing extraordinary things. Also need to point out that after spending some time making the rocker pretty level that we where able to put about 75% of the objects on the chip with the go to function. When you are able to use the Mallincam like this, never needing to pull the camera out to center the object these scopes basically become personal Hubble’s, especially on Galaxies and Nebulas.

I found it to be a befit to run the Servocat slow about 3 degrees per second in the go to mode this keeps the backlash from running out. Also best to stay away from the zenith as this will show field rotation when shooting 56 second iterations.

Michael / Starstructure Telescopes

#2 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

Hey Michael...

Been missin' ya!
I'd love to hear more about what you and Carl have done before I go to WSP (i.e. I'd sure like to have the 28" "fine-tuned"!).

Mike

#3 Bob S.

Bob S.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:23 AM

Michael, It sounds like you have Carl's scope really dialed in. As you know, my former 20" Starmaster had the ServoCat installed by Gary Myers and it was exceptionally dialed in. I can't say as I ever ran even 28 second integrations without seeing the objects on the screen move on many of the refresh iterations. Sounds like you have figured out with the Starstructures and the ServoCat how to make a Newtonian behave very nicely for this new technology. Can't wait to see your 14.5" astrovideo scopes performing. Bob Schilling

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:55 AM

Alt-Az tracking mount + target position + long f.l. OTA = pronounced field rotation
which is not a friend of long exposure camera.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics