•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GSO Dob - need to move my mirror or focuser?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:54 PM

I have a 10" Antares (GSO) Dob with a Crayford focuser. I'm pretty sure I can't use this for regular photography, without either moving the mirror forward or changing the focuser.

I assume I'd also have to make these changes to use a Mallincam?

#2 snogum

snogum

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

Low profile focuser has got to the the easier option, rather than moving the mirror.

I have gained the impression that imaging cams often require considerable "in focus" something many newtonian scopes run out of.

Clear Skies

#3 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:50 AM

In only my first and only attempt with my MCHP in my XT10i, I was able to reach focus with no major problems. I'm using the stock (upgraded) Orion Crayford...

I will be upgrading to a lower profile, MoonLite, but more for the quality and fine focus...

so at least on these Synta scopes, you can reach focus...

clear enough skies

#4 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

Most likely you WOULD have to do one of the two. With my dob, I ended up going with the MoonLite Dual Rate Crayford Focuser (Model CR2) and not only can I reach focus now with the Mallincam, but I can also use the MFR-3 focal reducer, and 15mm worth of spacers, giving me a f/3 focal ratio! Not only did this solve my travel problems, but using this focuser is a treat in it self, and would make it hard for me to go back to the stock focuser. You might be able to move the primary closer to the secondary, but in my opinion, the moonlite is the better option, by far.

Clear skies,
Neil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics