•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Example: bad conditions don't stop you

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 rolandskythree

rolandskythree

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

You can see the link to the his and hers sketches of NGC 185 then my sketch of M78 under pretty bad conditions. Not only is this good news for expanding observing windows, but the astro-video tool set can save a public night when no self-respecting observer would normally be caught looking up!

NGC 185 and M78 sketches in bad sky conditions

Roland

#2 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Roland -

I can also confirm the usefulness of these cameras under pretty poor conditions. Living just outside of Philadelphia, PA my sky is always extremely light polluted - add any moisture and forget it.

January 9 I set up (C11 on a G11 using a SCIII camera) hoping the sky would remain clear but high cirrus clouds moved in along with long-lasting jet trails. Since I was set up, I just went ahead and picked a few targets. M42 was NOT seen with the naked eye because of the clouds when I imaged it but came up on the monitor with astounding detail. Some of the stars in the core showed the trails they are leaving behind as they travel through the nebula. The crab nebula was showing filaments around its periphery. The central star in NGC 2371-72 along with the planetary’s TRUE ring shape was seen. M43, 1491, 1931, 2022, M43 and even a faint but recognizable Horse Head were also observed on the monitor all showing details never seen visually with this scope under a clear sky let alone a cloudy one - pretty amazing actually.

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics