•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using a Portable DVD Player as a Monitor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin Warnes

Gavin Warnes

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hi all,

I've been looking at portable LCD monitors to use with a Stellacam II. They get quite expensive for anything above 4" in size. There are lots of portable DVD players available for $100-$200. Has anybody found one of these with a video input and how well did it work?

Thanks,

Gavin

#2 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

Gavin, I got a Hanspree Disney Mickey-Mouse Retro TV for under $90 to my door (20% off at checkout).

It's 9.6", 4:3 like the Mallincam, 800 x 600, S-video input (and composite) and the AC runs through a power converter to a 12v DC plug on the back (so I'm thinking portable with battery, no?).

Test picture was great (pic in BEST Monitor thread, p.9) and I can't wait to hook it up. - j

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

Gavin,

See this CN post table. LCD#8 is a typical "cheap" DVD player. :bawling:

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#4 Astro Sky

Astro Sky

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

I used 9" Radio Shack black DVD Player, run 5 hours before recharge. I got it for $99.00
Radio Shack has 10"DVD player dark gray color for $139.00 this one also 5 hours run. both has wireless remote control to adjust contrast,brightness,so on. Also has SmartMedia or CompactFlash slot built in.

James G.

#5 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

I have Mintek MDP-1010 10.2" wide screen portable DVD player rated at 480P resoulution that I'm planning on using. It has adjustments to brightness and contrast as well as screen size so you can view in 4:3 format. It has composite input, with composit, S-Video as well as component ouput. The battery is good for playing movies up to 3-hrs and should last longer with just being a monitor. Besides the 120V adapter power supply it also comes with a 12v to 9v adapter for mobile use.

#6 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

I get an excellent image using a 7" Insignia portable DVD player. It is the best image so far and I have tested about 5 different players out. Bought it off ebay for about 20 bucks. It will not spin a disc, but it displays video just fine. You can get great delas by buying a unit like this from ebay.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics