•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lowest SQM for DSOs w/Mallincam

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 prestonrich

prestonrich

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

Where is the practical SQM threshold when MCHC images are no longer worth the effort to collect w/moderate to large apertures? How about city skies at 16.50?

#2 Douglas

Douglas

Vendor - Night Vision Astronomy

• Vendors

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

I took SQM readings when using my MallinCam at various locations.

I typically use it at home where my skies register anywhere from 19.6 when the moon is out to 20.6 during new moon. At home I use a 12.5" F/5 scope.

I used the Color MCHP at another location which registered 15.6 under severly light polluted skies and the camera performed amazingly well. We had phenominal images of M42 at 7 second integrations on a 14" F/10 scope but didn't try any fainter stuff.

I am sure that if you use a NaHg (sodium and mercury) filter you would get great images with SQM readings even lower than my session with a 15.6 reading.

A lot may depend on your F# and how fast or slow your scope is.

- Doug

#3 prestonrich

prestonrich

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:40 PM

Doug--

Looks like it will be the C14. Your report was encouraging!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics