•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Long Exposure Camcorder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

In another thread, I need to get the answer so I dug out my old (DV25 compression Digital8) camcorders. They are NightShot capable models. Here are some observations:

1) older model (type-1/4" SuperHAD CCD '089AK PAL* resolution 724*582 sensor). (Set the NightShoot LED illuminator off.) Nightshoot mode took out the UV/IR-cut filter, gain-up (minor sensitivity gain). NightShoot 1" mode, 1 second Long Exposure, quite nice sensitivity gain. NightShoot 2" mode, 2 seconds Long Exposure, very nice sensitivity gain, noise control is not too bad.

*PAL mode due to steadyshoot

2) slightly newer model (type-1/6" SuperHAD CCD icx096/097AK (any one know their spec?? wanted may be 752*582 "PAL mode"). (Set the NightShoot LED illuminator off.) Nightshoot mode took out the UV/IR-cut filter, a bit more gain-up (minor sensitivity gain but noisy). Super-NightShoot mode, I think it's slightly less than 1 second Long Exposure, some sensitivity gain.

Looks like the older one is better (type-1/4" and 2" Long Exposure). May be I'll yank out it's optical lens assembly and use it as prime focus imager :).

P.S. 2" Long Exposure is about the same as some dedicated special VideoCam models. Sure can't compete with 56 second LE, TEC active cooling, Amp-off, and type-1/2" CCD sensor. But I got my (1) camcorder cheap :) :).

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#2 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Hmmm, how to adapt my Sony "NightShot" camera to my scope...???

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

Randy,

I found both of my camcorders' DV out (to PC) and analog video out (to a video monitor) are "live" during shooting.

RE: CCD coupling to OTA
I have not yet worked out a design. I think just leave everything in the camcorder still attached (thus not upset the CPU) but take the optical system out of the light path.
Then I have to glue a 1.25" barrel to the CCD chamber.

Just imagine that poor camcorder just had a front collision :rainbow: ...
Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#4 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Ya, same on mine w/r/t the DV and Analog out.

I hadn't thought of removing the lens system from the CamCorder, however that might be the best option. I wonder if there is a way to 'temporarily' remove the optics from my Sony cam... It's also the camera I use for ATV (Amateur TeleVision), so I don't want to "trash" it for that purpose...

#5 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:43 AM

Randy,

Looks like two options:

1) Use a 16-conductor flex cable extender to extract the CCD board out of the camcorder body

or

2) Unscrew the lens module (a 24-conductor flex cable attached to the main board; do not detach or will make CPU unhappy) and make it out of the way (light path)

P.S. lens module has zoom, focus, and iris (motors + position sensors) and nightshot IR filter removal mechanism

Either way quite destructive :( :p.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#6 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

Grrr, rats!

I suppose Eyepiece projection is a bit too lossy...? (Not to mention the weight of the holder for the camera.

#7 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

My Sony has a 37mm threaded ring on the lens, there are eyepiece adaptors to fit that.
Used the Sony to record my CCTV cam last night so hope it came out ok

#8 b1gred

b1gred

Enginerd

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hmmmm....

#9 rshassell

rshassell

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:49 PM

I have a Sony TRV50 MiniDV and a DCS-SR300 HDD camcorder. I never tried long exposures, but I have attempted to image the ISS with them. They both have 37mm filter threads, and I used an adapter ring to attach them to a 40mm EP. The images weren't as clear as I'd hoped, and there was some vignetting, but it did basically work. I got much better results with my Mallincam, as is evident from my avatar.

#10 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

These camcorders are designed for general consumers so I wouldn't put too high hope on lenses quality (I know some elements are molded plastic).

I think prime focus imaging is the way.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#11 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

Update:

Use the 2" Nightshot (or Super NightShot mode) to shoot a LED in the dark in the back-n-forth as in a pendulum swing manner, I observe:

The LED light looks like a continuous (i.e., not jumpy) trail, almost like a slinky shifting position from one end point to the other. The continuous flow gives a pleasant viewing experience.

This indicates that the photon integration is done in both methods:

(1) on-CCD chip photon integration (i.e., the tradition long exposure) method upto a rate, e.g., 1/4 second per frame.

- This provide the apparent smooth optical flow, i.e., not too jumpy
- This method is (probably) needed since completely depend on method 2 would mean a large* size of memory is needed

*NTSC is about 30 frames/sec.

(2) off-CCD chip digital memory integration with sliding window method. E.g., for 1/4 second per frame feed, a 2" long sliding window will require a 9-frame** buffer.

** Two-second has eight 1/4 frames, but one extra frame is needed to fulfill sliding window integration calculation

Please comment on my reasoning. :grin:

BTW, what's SCII or MCHC's long exposure visual exprience/behavior?

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics