•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Old Zeiss Eyepiece Info Needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2004 - 05:58 PM

Hi all.
I need some help please.
A friend of mine has come into possession of a weird eyepiece, and needs some help to identify, and perhaps value it. Neither of us has any idea of either it's history/purpose/value.

It is marked "Carl Zeiss Jena, Orthoskop - Okular f= 18mm"
It has a focus ability with graduation from +12 - - 12.
It has a screw thread on the field lens end, with a very coarse pitch, about 31.5mm (but it is very coarse). This thread fits his old brass Watson refractor.
When you look through the eyepiece it has a circular ring, blackened, in the centre. The inside of this ring is an aerial view, and the outside of the ring is through the perspex/clear material that makes the ring. The ring proper is about 5 - 6 mm in diameter, and is visible from the field lens side. The blackening of the circular ring comes from it being cut on an angle, and the material transfering the interior blackening. Hard to describe, but simple in practice.
A photo is attached.
Any info is appreciated, either back on this forum, or direct to me at g.beal@clear.net.nz
Kind regards,
Gary BEAL
New Zealand

Attached Thumbnails

• 224882-Brock-Zeiss-01.jpg

#2 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2004 - 06:00 PM

SEcond picture showing the interior

Attached Thumbnails

• 224883-Brock-Zeiss-inside.jpg

#3 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:06 PM

Maybe it's a microscope EP? That is a pretty odd eyepiece :|

#4 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:14 AM

Odd thought-- the circle in the center makes me wonder if maybe it was part of a bomb or gun sight. I found multiple references to weapon sights made by Zeiss.

Sadly, however, no pictures. :(

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

#5 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:14 AM

Thanks to you both for the thoughts, never thought of the bomb/gun sight idea. Flash gun or bomb if they used Zeiss, and an ortho as well. Hopefully someone will know.
Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics