•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mallincam vs. Monitors (no rules death match!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

After my first light out last night, I'm finding out that everything that applies to general monitor calibration is thrown out the window with the Mallincam.

Normally, you'd calibrate the monitor and then adjust the source to display the best possible image, but the Mallincam is hampered in two ways. First of all, any adjustments you CAN make are in menus and take time to manifest themselves. Secondly, there are some adjustments your just can't make! On top of that, touching the camera ruins that integration.

The nature of the wide range of exposure choices makes it necessary to suppress background light to often an extreme degree. When properly calibrated, my monitor's brightness is set to 22 and contrast to 39, but when I pulled up a 14 second integration of M42 in order to see the darker areas, I had to turn my brightness down to 0 and my contrast to 2! No settings on the camera itself would give as pleasing of an image.

Originally, I'd thought that with a properly calibrated monitor, one would only need a gamma adjustment in order to pull the most out of an image, but I really don't believe that would be enough now.

Now I can see the appeal of front face brightness and contrast knobs, though I was happy that I could adjust my screen via its remote while I was seated at the camera.

- j

#2 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:30 PM

Jay - I find that I have to adjust the settings for contrast and brightness (and sometimes I even play with color and sharpness!) every time I change objects...

While my 19" Proton has all these adjustments, it is clearly just a bit too big to be optimal... And, while the Watec meets the "portability" requirement, it is nowhere near as good a picture, or has as much adjustment range as, the Proton...

So, at some point, I'm probably going to have to plump for a top quality 8-10" CRT based monitor. I'm convinced (from my limited experience with only 2 LCDs thus far - DVD player and Watec) that old fashioned CRT technology is the best way to go

Obviously, having the wireless upgrade to the MCHP will make some of the adjustments easier (at least wont have to worry about jiggling the scope!)...

clear enough skies!

#3 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

(on a side-note Dave, I want to find some way to use my Vixen ED80sf because the focal length of my NexStar 8i is just too long (f/10) and even with 2 10mm spacers tossed in there, I can't back away as much as I'd like.)

#4 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

Jay,

UPS just delivered my Speco 9", 500 line color monitor. If I get home early enough to test it against my 14" Sanyo and 3.5" Watec before I have to leave for an astronomy meeting, I will report back on my first impressions. I will be using pre-recorded DVD observations as my initial comparison testing as it is raining here in Louisiana. Second testing will be done with live stars.

Jack

#5 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:27 PM

After my first light out last night, I'm finding out that everything that applies to general monitor calibration is thrown out the window with the Mallincam.

Hi Jay...

I'm sorry (but not surprised) to hear that!
Not knowing all that much about the technical aspects of video reproduction, I was hopeful that your "gamma adjuster" concept would be workable.

I didn't realize that you hadn't yet actually used the camera and monitor in the field. Now you know! :grin:

Yes, those manual, front controls are a near-necessity
(essential as far as I'm concerned).

I can't recall ever moving from one object to another and NOT having to readjust the values for brightness and contrast (and sometimes in-camera gain).

Keep thinking though! :question:

Mike

#6 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Your ED80Sf should just work with NO problems, since it is similar configuration to the ED100Sf... albeit a bit "faster" at f7.5 I believe? Do ya have an EQ mount with motors?

We now return this thread to its original purpose: Monitors!

Clear enough skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics