•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion, Round Table, Mallincam, Moonlite, Speco....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
143 replies to this topic

#126 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:55 AM

What you are seeing is the counterweight for the MallinCam when it is installed on the Hyperstar transfer lens. Here is the setup on the CPC1100:

Posted Image

The weight is needed to balance the dewshield, camera and transfer lens assembly.

Jack

#127 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

Cool setup!

#128 richs

richs

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Bill
I believe your Meade has hardware stops that keep it from winding things up, it can only go so far before it hits the stop.

Rich

#129 calibos

calibos

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

Hi Neil,

While a mallincam is still far off in my future I feel the need for an upgraded focusser. Issues with focusser slop with collimation tells me I need compression rings. Issues with vibration when focussing tells me I need to brace my XT12i base and go the motorfocus route. Issues with a desire for a mallincam in the future :D tell me I need a low profile focusser. Why not combine all these needs by jumping the gun even before I get a mallincam byt getting a moonlight like yourself.

What combination of options would you recommend. Low profile obviously but what other options do I spec. Oh and will a low profile affect my EP's in visual use. I am using a full set of Baader Hyperions atm which can be used as 1.25" with the supplied orion adapter or can also be used straight in a 2" drawtube though obviously sitting lower without the thickness of an 1.25" adapter. Will a low profile moonlight give me issues visually?

On a side issue. Have you thought about using your old Orion focusser with your speco. Didn't I see some guys genius idea for starparty and home use, where he mounted the little LCD inside a little flocked box with an old focusser mounted in the lid with an old eyepiece with all lenses removed bar the objective.

#130 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:47 AM

Hi Neil,

While a mallincam is still far off in my future I feel the need for an upgraded focusser. Issues with focusser slop with collimation tells me I need compression rings. Issues with vibration when focussing tells me I need to brace my XT12i base and go the motorfocus route. Issues with a desire for a mallincam in the future :D tell me I need a low profile focusser. Why not combine all these needs by jumping the gun even before I get a mallincam byt getting a moonlight like yourself.

What combination of options would you recommend. Low profile obviously but what other options do I spec. Oh and will a low profile affect my EP's in visual use. I am using a full set of Baader Hyperions atm which can be used as 1.25" with the supplied orion adapter or can also be used straight in a 2" drawtube though obviously sitting lower without the thickness of an 1.25" adapter. Will a low profile moonlight give me issues visually?

I used all the "standard options" like the 2" draw tube. If I were you I would call Ron at Moonlite, and he will run you through what you need. I didn't place my order online, he took it over the phone, and put my mind at ease with every choice. You will need the install kit, and I used the 1/2" riser and everything I own including stacked barlows, and my MallinCam all come to focus with room to spare.

On a side issue. Have you thought about using your old Orion focusser with your speco. Didn't I see some guys genius idea for starparty and home use, where he mounted the little LCD inside a little flocked box with an old focusser mounted in the lid with an old eyepiece with all lenses removed bar the objective.

I think that was Gregs idea, if I remember corectly, and it does sound interesting!

Neil

#131 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:33 PM

What you are seeing is the counterweight for the MallinCam when it is installed on the Hyperstar transfer lens. Here is the setup on the CPC1100:

Posted Image

The weight is needed to balance the dewshield, camera and transfer lens assembly.

Jack

Now we have to get rid of those cables, a small wireless video transmitter and a fuel cell to power everything.
I was reading aboutcomplaints of people using the Hyperstar and cameras giving diffraction spikes.

#132 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

Heres a small 12V wireless unit just I picked up on E-bay. It comes with dual 12V plugs and a pigtail on the sender so powering it to the camera is simple.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2222564-wireless.JPG

#133 HendyPhoto

HendyPhoto

Sith Lord

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

That's awesome Brian!! Nice find!

Jack your setup is fantastic!! What does the hyperstar make your focal length? What would it make a C14? :waytogo:

#134 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

Thats the kind of thing I was thinking of, can it take the Y/C output of the camera?

#135 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

Heres a small 12V wireless unit just I picked up on E-bay. It comes with dual 12V plugs and a pigtail on the sender so powering it to the camera is simple.

Brian, Interesting little product. Can you post the model number and any other identifying info? I'd like to get the specs on the product.

#136 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

The sender is BNC only and the output on the reciever uses a common composite RCA-type video connector.

#137 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Messenger

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

It's called "Wireless Ultra-small Camera Kit" model GP-707

EDIT: I scanned the spec sheet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2222639-specs.jpg

#138 Astro Sky

Astro Sky

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:35 PM

Thanks !
bought one today,will be here by this Friday.

Astro Sky Co.

#139 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:21 PM

It's called "Wireless Ultra-small Camera Kit" model GP-707

EDIT: I scanned the spec sheet.

Do you have a link?...I did an advanced search and came up empty. Is there a company name or something else to go on?

Thanks.

#140 Astro Sky

Astro Sky

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:33 AM

Sky Caption,

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=310026617828
or email me PM

Astro Sky Co.

#141 smokin oakum

smokin oakum

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:43 AM

Sky Caption,

or email me PM

Astro Sky Co.

That one is sold so he should try THIS ONE!

Clear skies somewhere.
Neil

#142 Alicatt

Alicatt

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:55 AM

In my late brothers effects there is a box of 2.4GHz TV transmitter/rieceivers,from what I remember they are just boards and not boxed. 12V operation with a video and audio input and 4 channel transmit. He had got them for a project for putting up cctv cameras around our farm but he never finished it.

#143 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:34 AM

Sky Caption,

or email me PM

Astro Sky Co.

Edited by Astro Sky (02/27/08 10:35 PM)

That one is sold so he should try THIS ONE!

Clear skies somewhere.
Neil

Thanks guy's...looks like I missed both. :(

#144 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

• Vendors

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:04 PM

I need to figure out what type of non-slip surface to put on it, so my scope doesn't fall off

Chiming in late- I was just searching on roundtable and intelliscope.

I use a round piece of carpet backing foam purchased at a flooring dealership. Works great and nothing permanently attached to the pretty Roundtable.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier- I recently tested a 'disovery' from the Skyquest group about using the Intelliscope by finding an object with the platform shut off and in the starting position as you posted- this really works well!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics