•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Simulating Telescope in Stellarium

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan S

Dan S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

I have been playing with Stellarium for a few days and i have a question. I can set the viewport to be cirular to simulate a view through a telescope and I think I have the right formula for computing actual fov to see what it would look like, but I am not positive. Also, i don't know the apparent FOV for all my eyepieces. Is there a better way of doing this?

FOV = AFOV / Magnification

Is that correct. Is there a better way of doing it. Also can you set stellarium to handle the apiture of my scope to see what i would actually see?

Thanks

#2 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi Dan, this is a bit long... sorry....
There are two ways I've found to do this:
1. Set the disk viewport option and then zoom in until the FOV number in the upper right corner is close to what you want... But you probably already knew this...
2. Create custom "FOV reticules" and assign them to "dummy telescopes".

Here's the second method explained:
I've been messing about with setting up a "Telrad" reticule, the 4, 2 and .5 degree circles and superimposing it over the Stellarium starfield. You'll need to modify your config.ini file to make this work. Simple text editor will do the trick. BTW, make sure you modify the C:\Documents and Settings\<Name>\Application Data\Stellarium\config.ini
file as it's read first by default.

1. Under the [astro] section:
flag_telescopes = true
flag_telescope_name = true

2. Create a new section after [astro] called [telescopes]
3. Add the following under [telescopes]
1 = Telrad:Dummy:params
1_ocular_0 = 0.5
1_ocular_1 = 2.0
1_ocular_2 = 4.0

4. Save the file and start Stellarium

While looking at the simulation, left click an object and then hit Ctrl+1 to create the reticule around it. You can now zoom in and out and the circles will indicate the 4, 2 and .5 degree FOV.

You can also "turn on" the disk viewport option, set the "telrad" circles over an object, center the object using SPACE and then zoom in with the mouse. The viewing disk will simulate the AFOV through your telescope and it looks pretty accurate too.

What this does is create a dummy telescope server and assigns it to Ctrl + "1" key. Stellarium uses "telescope servers" to control up to 10 different scopes over TCP but using the "Dummy" keyword simply "fakes" a connection in software. You don't need to install ASCAM or other software other than Stellarium to use this method. You can create up to 10 "telescope" configs along with up to 10 FOVs per scope. Just add more lines to the [telescopes] section and then use Ctrl+2, Ctrl+3, etc. to access them.

Hope this may prove helpful.

Clear Skies!

Here's the actual text from my config.ini file:

[astro]
flag_stars = true
flag_star_name = true
flag_planets = true
flag_planets_hints = true
flag_planets_orbits = false
flag_light_travel_time = false
flag_object_trails = false
flag_nebula = true
flag_nebula_name = true
flag_nebula_long_name = false
flag_nebula_display_no_texture = true
max_mag_nebula_name = 8
nebula_scale = 1
flag_milky_way = true
milky_way_intensity = 1
flag_bright_nebulae = false
flag_nebula_ngc = false
meteor_rate = 10
flag_telescopes = true
flag_telescope_name = true

[telescopes]
1 = Telrad:Dummy:params
1_ocular_0 = 0.5
1_ocular_1 = 2.0
1_ocular_2 = 4.0

#3 Dan S

Dan S

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

Thanks that worked great to set my different EPs. Is there anyway to limit the magnitude I can see? I have looked for a setting, but I can 't find one. I know and 8" limiting magnitude is about magnitude 12 for my skies, but Stellarium goes deeper than this.

#4 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:05 AM

Thanks that worked great to set my different EPs. Is there anyway to limit the magnitude I can see? I have looked for a setting, but I can 't find one. I know and 8" limiting magnitude is about magnitude 12 for my skies, but Stellarium goes deeper than this.

Hi Dan, sorry for not getting back sooner. I drive a semi OTR and was out last week.

Glad to hear the config trick worked for you! As for limiting magnitude, you can change the magnitude level for which star names are shown in the configuration panel. The problem is, once you get up to Mag 12 or so, there are a LOT of names displayed! (I use all the catalogs and there's a ton of info displayed.) There may be a way to script it but I'll have to look into it.

#5 Bagged Star

Bagged Star

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:33 AM

At least one person has already complained that this way of adding Telrad circles no longer works in Stellarium 0.10.5, so I decided to drop a note here.

In version 0.10.5, the built-in telescope control client was removed, because it duplicated the new Telescope Control plug-in. As a result, defining telescope connections and "Dummy" telescopes in the configuration file no longer works.

In Stellarium 0.10.5, you have a choice between two ways of simulating the Telrad circles.

The Ocular plug-in can show Telrad circles in the centre of the screen. They are toggled by pressing Ctrl+B when no ocular is activated.

The Telescope Control plug-in allows you to define a virtual ("Dummy") telescope and add Telrad circles around its reticle. The result is the same as with the old way of doing things.
  • Activate the Telescope Control plug-in
  • Open the Telescopes window (press Ctrl+0 to open the "Slew telescope to" window, then click on the "Configure telescopes..." button)
  • Click on the "Add" button to add an new telescope.
  • In the "Add New Telescope" window, select "Telescope controlled by: Nothing, just simulate one (a moving reticle)"
  • You can check the "Start/connect at startup" box if you want the virtual telescope to do this.
  • In the "User interface settings" section, check the "Use field of view indicators" option.
  • In the text box below, enter "0.5,2,4".
  • Click on the OK button to save the changes.
  • In the Telescopes window, select the virtual telescope that you've just added and click on the "Connect" button.
  • The telescope reticle with Telrad circles should appear at RA=0, Dec=0. You can move it around with the same commands as any other telescope.
  • If you want to see only the Telrad circles and not the reticle and telescope name, you can turn them off in the "Options tab" of the "Telescopes" window.

#6 Fred76

Fred76

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Well, Ocular is a plugin that is dedicated to american and english people exclusively. Or at least for people that have the chance to have the keys [ and ] accessible from a single press on the keyboard.

Almost no other keyboard than GB's and US's allows the Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] combinations, nor Shift+[ or Shift+]...

This issue has been mentionned to the author a long time ago but has not been implemented yet. Too bad.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics